RV Tank vent question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RV Tank vent question

I removed my RV fridge to install a residential unit, and I noticed behind the fridge there was a vent pipe coming out of the floor and going almost to the ceiling, but not thru it. It has an open end with no cap.
Just wondering what its for
I alway though the vents went tru the roof to the outside.

Its a 2003 cedar Creek 36 rlts 5'r

Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
Most likely a vent for the kitchen/gray water tank.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
gmcbride
Senior User
What he said. And, if so, it should go thru the roof.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Cedar Creek is still in business....ask them!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I removed my RV fridge to install a residential unit, and I noticed behind the fridge there was a vent pipe coming out of the floor and going almost to the ceiling, but not thru it. It has an open end with no cap.
Just wondering what its for
I alway though the vents went tru the roof to the outside.

Its a 2003 cedar Creek 36 rlts 5'r
Since it is venting into a space that by code is required to be sealed 100% from the inside of the camper, I suspect the enclosed space meets code requirements as a vent pipe extention. Haven't seen it before, but manufacturers are always looking for shortcuts. Doing it this way saves them in time and material.

Steve

Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That being the case, it would be an ideal time to extend that vent pipe up thru the roof?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

If indeed it IS a vent pipe!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Not sure there is anything to be gained by making modifications. What is the problem the way it is?

It is venting through the roof. I can't find anything in the code that makes this system a violation and it actually is code legal to vent through the sidewall orthe roof. The code refers to a venting system and the system has to vent to the exterior.

Steve

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Not sure there is anything to be gained by making modifications. What is the problem the way it is?

It is venting through the roof. I can't find anything in the code that makes this system a violation and it actually is code legal to vent through the sidewall orthe roof. The code refers to a venting system and the system has to vent to the exterior.

Steve
Well the new fridge does not seal around the edges like the Dometic did, plus I blocked off the original fridge wall vent, but left the roof vent operational. From time to time I get a smell in the camper, and Its coming from that area. I just couldnt believe they would vent something into the camper like that, and it dosen't go thru the roof.
However, what you said makes sense Steve, it was a sealed area before.
I guess I'll add another weekend project to my list and vent it out thru the roof.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Franko72
Well the new fridge does not seal around the edges like the Dometic did, plus I blocked off the original fridge wall vent, but left the roof vent operational. From time to time I get a smell in the camper, and Its coming from that area. I just couldnt believe they would vent something into the camper like that, and it dosen't go thru the roof.
However, what you said makes sense Steve, it was a sealed area before.
I guess I'll add another weekend project to my list and vent it out thru the roof.

Thanks guys.
I certainly agree it is strange and if you get an odor, it is an absolute the vent should be carried on through the roof. I doubt the way it was done was not an accident. I expect like so many things in the industry, it was done to save a small amount of money.

Even though you run this vent on through the roof, the new fridge should still be sealed air tight from the interior of you camper. It is a carbon monoxide risk unless it is, if the furnace happens to be mounted directly under the fridge as it often the case. I have had a couple where the wind would blow the furnace exhaust back in through the old refrigerator vent in the winter. Otherwise it is not an issue.

I didn't catch in the original post the new fridge is a residentail model! Still learning to read, I now understand why the chase behind the fridge is not air tight.

Steve

Last edited by RV_Tech; 08-23-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
My furnace is under the fridge, but it is sealed in a box of its own.
I've seen where the furnace is visable when the fridge is removed, but not on this camper. I didnt even have to bulid a shelf for the new residential fridge to sit on, There was already one there.
I certainly appreciate the heads up on the carbon monoxide, I'll take another look back there before i use the furnace.
Between the fireplace, the heat strip, and my Eden pure, I should be nice and warm without using the furnace.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Is it possible that that "vent" pipe isn't actually a vent pipe, but an air access pipe for - perhaps, the heater?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Is it possible that that "vent" pipe isn't actually a vent pipe, but an air access pipe for - perhaps, the heater?
Furance should be vented through the sidewall.

Steve

Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Agreed for VENTING! What about for it to GET AIR? Or are the RV furnaces two-way? When you say "vent" I think - "exhaust".

Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Agreed for VENTING! What about for it to GET AIR? Or are the RV furnaces two-way? When you say "vent" I think - "exhaust".
The furnace is only supposed to draw air for combustion through the combined vent furnished by the manufacturer. There is no compromise on that system given the liability and return air across the heat exchanger to recirculate is from the vent inside the camper.

I suspect further examination will find a grey are tank located beneath, but again with RVs anything goes.

Steve

Quick Reply: RV Tank vent question