2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Remote start with MyKey

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote start with MyKey

My vehicle will shut off whenever the doors are opened after being started with the remote start. Is there anyway to disable this feature where it will keep running until the key is turned on? I'm tired of double starting it whenever I want to use the remote. Also is there anyway to make the GPS fully functional while the vehicle is in gear versus the factory "safe settings"?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Is your remote start a factory version (Dealer Installed) with the tiny little extra remote?

Or

Is your remote start aftermarket?

Either way, they screwed up when they wired it. Sounds like they have the brake kill switch wired to the interior lights or the door. That switch should be wired to the brake switch.

It's designed to kill the motor when you push the brakes to shift out of park. It's a theft prevention feature. The key in the ignition and in "Run" position prevents the motor from being shut off.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Try something. Roll down the window and then remote start the Expy

Reach in and put the key in, in the "Run" position. See if the motor dies when you open the door

Last edited by Tylus; 08-26-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 PM
TIKT B8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a window breakage sensor? I had one put on my factory alarm/RSE and when I shut the door the vibration would shut off the engine.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
My vehicle came with the remote from the factory and I have made no modifications to it or the vehicle. Reading the owners manual, it sounds like Ford designed it to work as it does with the "MyKey" feature. I'm not real sure what MyKey does, but my vehicle has it. Again, reading the owner's manual, it sounds like mine is working as designed e.g. to shut off the engine when any door is opened. The issue is I don't like this setting and want to know if there' anyway around it. I would prefer it work as if it had a "standard" key instead of the MyKey.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
It is designed to do this with MyKey. That way the MyKey settings will take place when the car is started with the Mykey key. No way around this from what I have read. Yes, it sucks. Mine does the same thing.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
I took my new 2011 to the dealer as this is definitely not the way a remote start should work. They said the same as others have posted on this site. Can't be changed...

Well it can. Doing so will bypass the MyKey Feature of the used key. So if you are concerned about it you can set the remote start key to a restricted key. This will leave the car in the restricted mode when it is started using MyKey.

Here is the way to change it: This was posted by another user (Mustang46) on another forum.

It is easily programmed to change this behavior. You can do it at home. You can change the run time to 15 minutes and turn off the horn chirps at start, if you want.

To change the stop engine "feature", you need to set option 7 in Bank 2...

http://techservices.codesystems.com/

This apparently is the supplier of the Ford remote start systems. Just create a Login and then click Ford at the top of the page. The PDF that you are looking for is titled
'PROGRAMMING - GEN2 BRONZE WITH OR WITHOUT "MYKEY"'. It details the programming process.

Interestingly, there is also a document titled 'NEW 2010 MODEL YEAR SECURITY ENHANCEMENTS FOR MYKE', which is a memo to dealers stating not to reprogram this for customers even if they complain about the issue in this thread...
It only takes 4-5 minutes to do this.

The button you need to get into programming mode is located under your dash and is taped under there. Mine was close to the OBDC jack.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
So what does mykey actually do? And what do you mean by restricted mode? How does this affect any other operations and what else can be screwed up by attempting to make these adjustments? What does it do to the warranty?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
MyKey IMO really sucks... But it is designed to keep teenage drivers in check. It will limit the vehicle speed to 85 miles per hour, it will not allow someone to disable the stability control, backup warning, limits radio volume if seatbelt isn't fastened, etc...

Personally I think it is a gimmick. If you have children you don't trust you really need to keep tabs of your car physically.

That said, you don't need to program any starting key as a MyKey. It is explained in the Owners Manual.

I didn't have any problem with my Remote Start being a MyKey until I remote started my Expy to go pick up my boat at the boat launch. When it was time to back up my warning chime was blaring indicating that I was about to hit something (my trailer) and I couldn't turn it off. Quite annoying. So off goes the MyKey on my remote start.

But I suspect that since MyKey is supposed to be a security feature that is why FORD did what it did with the remote start. Not a practical solution in my view, and actually probably affected more people in a negative way than MyKey affects in a good way.

My 0.02 cents.
Johnny

Old 08-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
You can always reprogram it to the default setting whenever bringing the car back for service. It could probably be done in 2 min if you did it once in a while. Your choice.

With regard to WARRANTY, I can't see why it would alter it. If you program the Remote Start as the MyKey (restricted) then what harm. You can program any other key either way. I can't see any downfall. Just the two systems are in compatible in a practical sense. So one had to be bypassed.

Johnny

Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
Is This little button Ina round housing about 1/2 inch in diameter with a little white thing beside it being the LED mentioned? Or is the LED they speak of on the remote itself?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Sounds about right. I can't remember if the LED was seperate or the button itself (it is not on the remote itself). I do know on mine it was taped underneath the dash with electrical tape and it was at the bottom easily accessible.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and make the change later today..,

Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
rtf505
5th Wheeling
The change seemed to take effect as described. Thanks for all the help, I already like it much better...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone tried this on a 2011 yet?

Quick Reply: Remote start with MyKey