6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Used Coolant-Filters/Oil-Coolers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:58 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used Coolant-Filters/Oil-Coolers Needed

Hi guys, I've been running experiments on the sediment wreaking havoc in our cooling systems (I'm putting together a public info type of big post with tons of info for everybody including what I think will be a better oil cooler fix than simple replacement) but I've ran out of sediment. I have access to a lot of fun chemicals and as such have been reacting the sediment with acids/dispersants/flocking agents/detergents/etc.. Each experiment requires about 2 grams of sediment and have ran 8 batches so far but really need another 10+ grams.

Anyway, I need more coolant filters and oil coolers or just the sediment captured so I'm asking our little community to please send me your coolant filters, oil coolers and anything else that might be contaminated with sediment.

I don't want to post my address in public but if you can help please send me an email and I'll send you my address.

SuperBikeCJ@Gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple of preview pics.

Here is some sediment reacting with a 20% (>95% HCL) in H2O sol. the pic isn't great but you can barely make out bubbles of Hydrogen leaving the solution also notice the steam.

Here is a picture of filtered sediment reacted with a dispersant/detergent mix prior to being added to an acid sol.:

Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High binder just so happens my old oil cooler that was cut in four pieces went into the can about 3 weeks ago, been on work bench since DEC 10 , I was cleaning the garage and its gone but i do have a coolant filter.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wulfman
High binder just so happens my old oil cooler that was cut in four pieces went into the can about 3 weeks ago, been on work bench since DEC 10 , I was cleaning the garage and its gone but i do have a coolant filter.

I'll take anything and everything. Bummer on the oil cooler though, they can really hold a lot of gunk!

I'll PM you my mailing address if you don't mind tossing it in the mail.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wulfman
I just tossed one into the trash on Tuesday morning myself. Sorry, Cody. I'll see if I can scrounge some up though.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I just tossed one into the trash on Tuesday morning myself. Sorry, Cody. I'll see if I can scrounge some up though.

Bummer! I'll take whatever you have that might have some sediment trapped in it but filters and oil coolers seem to net several grams each (which is a lot).

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
pm sent .

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cheezit
pm sent .

Got it and responded. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Bump.......

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Interested in a coolant filter from a 7.3?
I'm running fleetcharge (sp?)coolant. Requires an additive nitrate package but does not require the 2yr drain interval.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dagren99
Interested in a coolant filter from a 7.3?
I'm running fleetcharge (sp?)coolant. Requires an additive nitrate package but does not require the 2yr drain interval.

With the nitrate additive I really couldn't use it in terms of my experiments. I'm really trying to stay within the confines of our average coolants/sediments and the addition of an additive, without knowing the chemistry behind it could skew the results. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 PM
dagren99
Posting Guru
Unfortunately those of us w/ early 7.3's can't switch to the LL OAT coolants like the later 7.3's and 6.0's use. Fleetcharge is about as close as we'll ever get. At least the 2yr drain/refill goes away replaced by a 65K mile recommended "service" ph check. Navistar issued a bulletin advising early 444E owners to avoid LL OAT coolants due to compatibility issues. A lot of folks mistake SCA "fallout" for sand - its not really sand, its caused by having too high a concentration of SCA's in the coolant.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
hmmm......silicates.....i commend u, high binder, on ur research project. being an engineer, though non-practising, i'm sure u thought bout the other mitigating factors in any experiment, e.g. compression ratio, environmental materials, etc.

i was an aerospace engineer. my specialty is combustion engines. however, i find myself doing the opposite route. i run a passport and visa service business now, but boy, would i love to do research......ahhhh....to be young again.....

let me know if u need any assistance. i'll do my best to chime in. best of luck to u!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dagren99
Unfortunately those of us w/ early 7.3's can't switch to the LL OAT coolants like the later 7.3's and 6.0's use. Fleetcharge is about as close as we'll ever get. At least the 2yr drain/refill goes away replaced by a 65K mile recommended "service" ph check. Navistar issued a bulletin advising early 444E owners to avoid LL OAT coolants due to compatibility issues. A lot of folks mistake SCA "fallout" for sand - its not really sand, its caused by having too high a concentration of SCA's in the coolant.

65K is a much better interval than 2yrs. Thanks for the info too!

Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
hmmm......silicates.....i commend u, high binder, on ur research project. being an engineer, though non-practising, i'm sure u thought bout the other mitigating factors in any experiment, e.g. compression ratio, environmental materials, etc.

i was an aerospace engineer. my specialty is combustion engines. however, i find myself doing the opposite route. i run a passport and visa service business now, but boy, would i love to do research......ahhhh....to be young again.....

let me know if u need any assistance. i'll do my best to chime in. best of luck to u!
That's funny, my specialty was in your area, turbine systems (and the lubrication/harmonics of friction) but I'm doing law school. So I guess we each ventured outside of our disciplines in fact most of my college engineering buddies have left engineering as well (no money).

I've tried to take into account the usual factors but I'm hoping with the samples I've got coming I'll get a good distribution which should off-set any outliers, statistically speaking.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
@ high binder, i know. aint tat strange? lol. oh well. i understand the situation, but i would also commend u on ur chosen future career.

law is tricky business, but most engineers go into it cos when u can handle engineering, u can handle jus bout anything. well almost anything......women n children (hint). i'm sure u'll do jus fine.

well, i was a physics major as well.....especially quantum physics and nuclear physics. favorite topics. i wish u well in ur future endeavors. drop me a line if u tink i can contribute.

Quick Reply: Used Coolant-Filters/Oil-Coolers Needed