Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Late Night Gremlins and McGiverness wins

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 AM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Late Night Gremlins and McGiverness wins

Well another interesting night....back story buddy's 02 E250 5.4 van broke down, i get the call to figure it out, long story short , i figure it is the fuel pump..but something bothers me about that being the real culprit. Anyways another friend comes over drops the tank (yea that is a fun job with a almost full tank) and puts the pump in ,and it fires up and runs, that was four days ago.
Well today i get a call it is broke again, hmm well i did my research both on here and through google this evening to see if i over looked something...really did not find anything new that i was not checking....but in one thread i found they were discussing the same issues related to fuel pumps...well someone jumped and posted a couple lines saying he found a broken pin in the connector that goes to the fuel pump assembly and posts a picture of it...well i knida briefly looked at it then continued to skimmed through the rest of the thread.....anyways i leave and head over to check out the van again...go through everything , relays, fuses pcm etc etc...but on a whim i decided to pull the wiring connectors apart and look at it...yep sure as snot in the four pin connector just like in the picture , one was broken...go figure one random post in a thread i skimmed had the answer..the Mcgiver in me just had to fix it. grabbed a piece wire cable (stuff you use in house wiring ) stripped a piece of copper maybe a little less then 1/4" long , then put it in the female side of the connector , snapped the plug together ,turn the key to the on position and "viola" the fuel pump kicks on...then go for the gusto and try to start it..."Yea" it runs....

I would be willing to say that if it was taken to a garage it would have been a very hefty bill due the amount time they would have spent replacing parts and chasing down this gremlin ...

Oh btw i will be replacing the plug with a new one just in case my McGiverness fix does not hold up to father time...

Some say a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case , it saved a about a thousand dollars

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you gave him a rep. for saving your sanity and time!!!!!!!.Could you post the info my nephew has a 02 E350 that so far has the sparkplug blowing out issue but so far that's it 150,000 miles on it.