Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Ford and GM partnered on the six speed transmission. Ford and Mazda, Ford and Volvo, Ford and Jag.

If I ever got stupid and jumped off the Ford bandwagon, it would be Toyota all the way for me.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay84 View Post
if i wanted a toyota i would move to japan. i like the F-150 battle axe
the way it is.....FORD...READ MY LIPS.....NO NEW AXES !!!!!
So if you wanted a superduty youd move to mexico?

Who cares if Ford wants to join up with Toyota, its probably a decent idea for Ford, since Toyota is one of the industry leaders.

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
New User

justin1795 is starting off with a positive reputation.
wouldnt wanna work with the japanesse on anything. famous for stealing your ideal and backstabbing... look what they did with gm on that pontiac vibe plant in califronia.. nummi...
Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM
So Little To Say!!!

BIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputation
Interesting to read some of these comments. As I pointed out in the original thread that Tim posted a link to...Ford has been buying hybrid technology from Toyota for quite some time...Escape/Mariner/Fusion/MKS. As Tim also pointed out...Ford has collaborated with Gub-ment Motors on transmissions...platforms/AWD systems with Volvo...and the list goes on. It is truly a Global Economy and it makes more sense for Ford to collaborate with the recognized leader in hybrid technology than to invest billions of $$$$ in developing their own.

I'm sure that you're aware that the Tundra is currently more American than the F-150. Does that make them less of a truck??? I work in the showroom of a dealership that sells both Ford...AND...Toyota. If I were in the market for a compact truck...I would definitely buy a Tacoma over a Ranger. Ford has neglected the Ranger for a long time...virtualaly giving that market to Toyota. FYI...I haven't owned anything but a Ford for the last 20 years.

I also agree with those who don't think that hybrid is the be all end all...but...it's the best thing we have going right now. There are other technologies that show more promise...IE hydrogen...but...the $$$$$$ required to bring that technology to the mass market is probably more than anyone would be willing to...or...able.spend.

And finally...for those of you who point out the failings of the Japanese government/society...you should dig into your history books more. There are a lot of things that the good old U S of A has done in the past that we shouldn't be too proud of!!!

Hopefully we can keep this in the open forum and explore other's thoughts.

My family's gene pool could use some chlorine!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
New User

pmcolman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes - Ford and Toyota joint venture!

We own two Toyota 4Runner SUVs (those based on the Tundra chassis), and one Ford F450 SuperDuty (because we have to have something to pull our 20,000 lb 5th wheel).

Over the several years that we've owned these vehicles, we have often speculated on the best and the not-so-best of features ... and have often commented that if these two companies actually got together, they could really k*** *** !!!

So we could not be happier to hear about this !!!

v/r,
Paul
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Posting Guru

Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
Diesel technology has come a long way over the years. I believe that a diesel will perform just as well as any hybrid and be less expensive over the long term than a hybrid anything by anybody. I just have a hard time justifying $3500 for a battery replacement for a hybrid. And the batteries do need replacement every so often. And I don't think that a hybrid pickup will ever be able to tow 20K lbs. like a diesel pickup can.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Posting Guru

640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Diesel technology has come a long way over the years. I believe that a diesel will perform just as well as any hybrid and be less expensive over the long term than a hybrid anything by anybody. I just have a hard time justifying $3500 for a battery replacement for a hybrid. And the batteries do need replacement every so often. And I don't think that a hybrid pickup will ever be able to tow 20K lbs. like a diesel pickup can.
I too would much rather see Diesel Technology come into play instead of Hybrids, But the EPA is working to make sure that won't happen. For some reason the enviromentalist in this country really hate diesel engines despite the fact they burn their fuel just as clean if not cleaner than any gasoline engine on the market. From the way it looks like things are going as of this moment in time, I predict in the future most H.D trucks will be powered by Diesel/Electric hybrid powertrains, which if made correctly should have no issue pulling 20K+ pounds seeing as most freight trains today use Diesel Electric hybrids and 20K pounds is feather weight to those. The big question on my mind is how much extra is all this hybrid Bull**** going to add to price of the truck? Diesel engines alone already add almost 10,000$ to the price tag. Add another 5 or 10 grand to that for the hybrid technology and you're looking at a truck that cost 15 or 20K more than you're avarage gas powered H.D truck today.

Europe know's how good Diesel is, that's why something like 75% of all cars and trucks there are powered by Diesel engines. The Europeans drive diesels because they are more effiecent than gas engines. We American's only use Diesels because of their ability to tow heavy loads I.E F-350/3500...etc...etc. Sad fact is most of the public is realtivly ignorant towards engines and how they function. Most of the people I know ''Who aren't car people'' think of Diesel engines as slow noisy smoke belching mechanical dinosaurs so they won't even give them a second look.

(And to the commenter who mentioned hydrogen)

I couldn't agree with you more. In my eyes Hydrogen has always been the most plauseable fuel for the future. And you're correct it would cost a good sum of money to establish a hydrogen infastructure but I personally think that would be money well spent and would pay for itself in the long run. In the mean time I don't understand why we don't use CNG in America. We've got TON's of it rigt under neither our feet in our American soil. Enough so that it could totally take us off the tit of the middle east oil companys. But I don't expect any of this to happen...The people in charge of this country actually do something right?!? Haha that's a good one.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:12 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
This discussion isn't about one fuel source versus another. It's about the collaboration of two major players in developing a better mouse trap.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 PM
New User

twday is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford and Toyota Research & Development

I do not feel that in the end analysis that this joining of forces with Toyota will help Ford at all. I would like to see the brass at Ford rethink this. Does their decision to do this affect me purchasing a Ford product in the future? Yes it does and not in the positive sense. I believe it to be a poor decision. ( See Edsel )
Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
honestly...don't care ..I will not buy a new anything because of many factors ..mostly I LIKE to tinker ..I want to be able to work on my car or truck ,and not with hooking up to the on board diagnostic..my work truck are mid 90s because I can afford them and work on them ..hybrid is fine if you like that ..it just dosnt matter to me ..I will never own one , my new to me truck is a 53 ford F-350 ..it will cost less the your replacement battery to run for the next 5 years and still be worth what I paid for it ..I look at flex fuel and hybrids like a Bic lighter ..when it's empty throw it away ..not gonna buy a car like that ..but others will ..and that will make money for the share holders ..all that Ford needs to stay operating..
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
New User

networknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
M5R2 transmission since 1988 by Toyota

Not a bad transmission. But, I don't like the oil slinger being made out of plastic and the two little plastic nubs which hold it to the spinning shaft. If anything causes the nubs to shear, then you are looking at a big rebuild costs. And if you don't know to put ATF into it, and you put gear oil instead, then again you are looking at a big rebuild. Except for those two weak links, it is reputed to be a really good transmission by Toyota for Ford.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Senior User

Pili is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Ford and GM partnered on the six speed transmission. Ford and Mazda, Ford and Volvo, Ford and Jag.

Back then ford owned stock in Mazda. They owned Volvo, Jaguar and land rover. The reason ford didnt need the bail out money is because they sold everything except Ford, Lincoln and Mercury then got loans from the banks.
Oxford White 1999 Ford Lightning #3326
Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
I find the whole cooperation concept interesting. Back in the 70's, when the government began mandating emission controls, the big 3 wanted to pool their resources and ideas to come up with a standardized system that would have saved years of development and millions of wasted, repetitive dollars spent. The government denied all their requests claiming collusion and anti-trust violations. Today, the largest corporations in the world are allowed to build whole vehicles together.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Elder User

80broncoman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
It was in the news today in my local paper in the business section. I wish Ford would bag the hybrid truck idea and move on the diesel option, myself. I would hate to have to replace the battery on a Hybrid vehicle at $3000 a pop. GM already tried a hybrid 1/2 ton pick up and the performance and mileage were disappointing and not worth the extra cost. I think it's just a gimmick to please the treehuggers that won't work out very well in the end.
X2
If toyota has anything to do with it I hope they install a big Red button on the middle of the dash labeled "Emergency STOP"

77 F-150 4X4 400/4sp
80 Bronc 300/4sp
89 F-450 7.3/5sp rollback
94 F-700 5.9/6spd (camper/hauler project)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Senior User

ravens fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think its stupid...i dont see anything wrong with ford now so why try and fix it...i for one would never buy anything with toyota name on it..... ill stick to my dentsides and bricknoses... these trucks are truely classic ford and built it America!!

91 F-150 300 I6 E4OD 250,000k
Member of Pennsylvania Chapter of Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 AM