1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Strong gas smell, very bad mpg's

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
florida boy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strong gas smell, very bad mpg's

2 weeks ago after filling up I noticed a very strong gas smell that followed me. At about a half tank and only 45 miles later (this is unusual) the smelled seemed less and less by the time I was near E the smell was nearly gone totally.

Not sure where to start on this...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Sw1tchfoot
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the engine running poorly?

You could get under the truck and look along the frame for gas dripping, also pop the hood and look for leaks. If you don't find anything, then remove the air cleaner and start the engine up. Look inside the barrels of the carb (assuming it has a carb) and see if gas is dripping into the engine.

What year of truck and what engine?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes, we certainly need to know the year. The earlier trucks (80 - 84?) had steel fuel lines with short pieces of fuel hose connecting them. These hoses are usually in very poor shape after all these years, and many times leak right through the wall of the hose. And, since the tank sits higher than the fuel pump on many of them fuel leaks even while the truck is not being driven.

Later models used plastic lines to replace the steel/rubber combo, but still retained a hose into the fuel pump. This one, too, can easily leak.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FIRE EXTINGUISHER...

DUDE
WHAT EVER IT IS BUY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER...NOW
cheap insurance
see the video

Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
x2 on the fire extinguisher.

possibly the fuel fullier pipe or where the line goes into the tank (more pronounced when full)

Old 08-24-2011, 07:48 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Yes, we certainly need to know the year. The earlier trucks (80 - 84?) had steel fuel lines with short pieces of fuel hose connecting them. These hoses are usually in very poor shape after all these years, and many times leak right through the wall of the hose. And, since the tank sits higher than the fuel pump on many of them fuel leaks even while the truck is not being driven.

Later models used plastic lines to replace the steel/rubber combo, but still retained a hose into the fuel pump. This one, too, can easily leak.
That rubber line is the first thing I replaced under my hood when I saw it. It comes off the hard line against the frame near the steering column and connects to the fuel pump, which from there is a hard line off the fuel pump (I guess for engine heat? ) that runs back to the carburetor.

Mine was cracked and dry rotted and the spring clip on the end of the line leading to the fuel tank was loose!

1/4'' vacuum hose at 1 ft length, re-bent the clip, and a new screw-tightened band and it looks like new. Gave me some added security too.

I'd hate to be on a long trip, miles away from an auto-parts store when that thing decided to bust (which is more than likely where it'd happen, knowing my luck. I like to go hunting).

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by 1983F1503004x4
That rubber line is the first thing I replaced under my hood when I saw it. It comes off the hard line against the frame near the steering column and connects to the fuel pump, which from there is a hard line off the fuel pump (I guess for engine heat? ) that runs back to the carburetor.

Mine was cracked and dry rotted and the spring clip on the end of the line leading to the fuel tank was loose!

1/4'' vacuum hose at 1 ft length, re-bent the clip, and a new screw-tightened band and it looks like new. Gave me some added security too.

I'd hate to be on a long trip, miles away from an auto-parts store when that thing decided to bust (which is more than likely where it'd happen, knowing my luck. I like to go hunting).
Yes, that's one of the failure points. But, I hope you really didn't use vacuum line as it won't stand up to gasoline. Surely you mean fuel line?

Also, you said "hard line", but was it metal or plastic? If metal then there are several more pieces of fuel hose under there that are the same age as the one you replaced. In my experience they should all be replaced.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If metal then there are several more pieces of fuel hose under there that are the same age as the one you replaced. In my experience they should all be replaced.
Yes, Gary speaketh the truth.

On mine, the one connecting the steel line to the rear tank sending unit was literally in pieces.

I replaced ALL my rubber fuel line at around the same time.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, that's one of the failure points. But, I hope you really didn't use vacuum line as it won't stand up to gasoline. Surely you mean fuel line?

Also, you said "hard line", but was it metal or plastic? If metal then there are several more pieces of fuel hose under there that are the same age as the one you replaced. In my experience they should all be replaced.
Yes, it's all FUEL line. I call it vacuum line just for convenience. Sorry about the confusion.

That's another thing to point out for the OP... buy FUEL line. It'll be marked on the hose if it's fuel line. The difference (I'm assuming) is so that your line won't melt like Styrofoam when exposed to the gasoline.

Mines a hard metal line. I guess I'm going to get back under the truck and check for other "soft" lines tomorrow.

IMO... they all should've been hard.

All I ever GOT was fuel line when I asked for VACUUM line at the auto-parts places.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
In '84, I think, Ford changed to the plastic lines and did away with all the fuel hose except for the piece at the mechanical pump. So, those systems don't have the same problems as the others.

As for the ones with steel lines, the # of hoses depends on whether or not you have dual tanks. If so, you have a hose from the top of both tanks to the first metal line; then hose from the ends of those two lines into the selector valve; one hose from the selector valve to the front hard line; and then the hose into the fuel pump.

If you, like most of us, aren't using both tanks you can simplify things by plumbing around the valve with a piece of hose. And, btw, while under there put a see-thru plastic fuel filter in the hose just after the valve to save the pump.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If you, like most of us, aren't using both tanks
Insert sound effects from Tim Taylor in the 80's TV sitcom Home Improvement:

Huh?????????

I know some guys out here don't run both but I certainly do.

'course I don't have the return lines and such to deal with, it's all pretty simple.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I know some guys out here don't run both but I certainly do.

'course I don't have the return lines and such to deal with, it's all pretty simple.
Of the three I've owned, my Dad's, and others I've talked to around here, none have two working tanks. For some it was the valve that quit. Others appear to have had the hose go bad and it leaked so they stopped using it. I'm seriously considering taking my side tank off to simplify the soon-to-be dual exhaust system. No way do I need more than 19 gallons of fuel.