1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Stop Brakes on 2003 f250 with the 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Power Stop Brakes on 2003 f250 with the 7.3

Hey guys, figured I've been here for awhile and may as well do a thread on brakes. I just bought the truck and I've decided to upgrade the brakes. I bought a kit from a well known online vendor (cant say their name cause they arent a site sponsor). It came well packaged, and everything was there, it looks like it should be an improvement.

Weather was poor today, so i did not have a chance to install them, hopefully Thursday. The kit also included break in instructions, which was nice because i had no idea you had to break them in. Ill be doing a how to step by step on the install. I saw a few threads questioning their quality, so ill do a review afterwards as well. Lastly, Ill be doing a brake fluid flush sometime next week.

this kit even included the caliper slide pin covers, not bad for $321.00

Old 11-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Collision
Senior User
I almost forgot, here's a picture of the
sexy beast

Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 PM
divideoverflow
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really liked my powerstops on my E350 - especially when towing.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Arguments towards breaking in those rotors and pads with a a few good heat cycles. I had them on a 2000 V10 and they provided additional bite, though they wore out a touch faster than the OEM.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Collision
Senior User

Before and after

Old 11-16-2017, 06:08 AM
bleeds blue
More Turbo
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I love these brakes. Put them on the front end earlier this year. Just ordered the entire kit for the rear Monday. I bit the bullet and got the calipers too...

Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
I have the same kit for my 2015 ready to go on as well. My truck doesn't fit in my garage so I am dependent on the weather to allow the install. My current brakes aren't bad yet, so I can wait it out for a decent day. I don't mind cold, just no snow or rain.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:27 AM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
I have the same kit for my 2015 ready to go on as well. My truck doesn't fit in my garage so I am dependent on the weather to allow the install. My current brakes aren't bad yet, so I can wait it out for a decent day. I don't mind cold, just no snow or rain.
Same here, I did it in my driveway.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have these brakes on my work truck (2002 f-250 extended cab long bed 7.3) I tow heavy almost everyday (10-12K) and tow up and down steep grades. The brakes have done ok, but the rotors are warped and the venting holes are always filled with brake dust, that I have to drill out when I inspect them. Brakes have about 20K miles on them.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordmerc
I have these brakes on my work truck (2002 f-250 extended cab long bed 7.3) I tow heavy almost everyday (10-12K) and tow up and down steep grades. The brakes have done ok, but the rotors are warped and the venting holes are always filled with brake dust, that I have to drill out when I inspect them. Brakes have about 20K miles on them.
Not very comforting if they warp by 20K miles. I doubt I will have that much weight behind this truck anytime soon and if I ever do, it will not be daily driven. I have a buddy with an 02 7.3 and that truck is HARD on brakes....wheels are covered in dust constantly.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope those rotors don’t crack on you. I’ve seen cracked rotors at the holes at SCCA events (on super-light cars) and seen cracked rotors on a few street cars.

They look awesome but the “helps remove brake dust and outgassing” is just a wive’s tale.

— Dave

Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by Djosbun
I don’t mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope those rotors don’t crack on you. I’ve seen cracked rotors at the holes at SCCA events (on super-light cars) and seen cracked rotors on a few street cars.

They look awesome but the “helps remove brake dust and outgassing” is just a wive’s tale.

— Dave
I wonder why motorcycles use them...

Old 11-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Because motor cycles weigh, what, 600 pounds? Not much heat generated with light braking force.

Comparing motorcycle brakes to heavy truck brakes is ridiculous.

The only rotors that do not crack around the holes are carbon ceramic rotors, which is a $10,000+ option on a Porsche.

— Dave

Old 11-18-2017, 09:26 PM
divideoverflow
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Djosbun
Because motor cycles weigh, what, 600 pounds? Not much heat generated with light braking force.

Comparing motorcycle brakes to heavy truck brakes is ridiculous.

The only rotors that do not crack around the holes are carbon ceramic rotors, which is a $10,000+ option on a Porsche.

— Dave
There is a wide range of thickness and material quality that plays a role here.

I've gone through a set of drilled and slotted rotors to completion (wore out) with no cracks whatsoever. That is in a big heavy E-350 towing a 7500 lb travel trailer half the time. Powerstop pads would go between 20-30k miles, but the rotors were more like 60k.

Can drilled rotors crack? Sure. I've seen solid rotors crack at track events, too.... rapid heating and cooling cycles require heavier brakes than what folks tend to put on their small cars.

fordmerc, you are definitely towing heavy, but I have a question for you. Did you replace your calipers when you the power stops were put on? Worn out calipers might be why you are warping rotors after 20k. You are towing a lot more than I do, and more frequently, so it could be that they just aren't up to your duty cycle, I'm just curious. Half of my towing has been in the Smokey Mountains, but I have my trailer brakes dialed in real well, and my travel trailer has a big wind area, so I'm able to slow down easier because of the drag. Even going down hill through Asheville (6% grade), I really don't have to ride the brakes heavily.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 AM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by divideoverflow
There is a wide range of thickness and material quality that plays a role here.

I've gone through a set of drilled and slotted rotors to completion (wore out) with no cracks whatsoever. That is in a big heavy E-350 towing a 7500 lb travel trailer half the time. Powerstop pads would go between 20-30k miles, but the rotors were more like 60k.

Can drilled rotors crack? Sure. I've seen solid rotors crack at track events, too.... rapid heating and cooling cycles require heavier brakes than what folks tend to put on their small cars.

fordmerc, you are definitely towing heavy, but I have a question for you. Did you replace your calipers when you the power stops were put on? Worn out calipers might be why you are warping rotors after 20k. You are towing a lot more than I do, and more frequently, so it could be that they just aren't up to your duty cycle, I'm just curious. Half of my towing has been in the Smokey Mountains, but I have my trailer brakes dialed in real well, and my travel trailer has a big wind area, so I'm able to slow down easier because of the drag. Even going down hill through Asheville (6% grade), I really don't have to ride the brakes heavily.
No, the calipers were not replaced. Will probably do that on the next brake job, if the rest of the truck makes it that long.

Quick Reply: Power Stop Brakes on 2003 f250 with the 7.3