Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Junior User

tap1946 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Blower Fan Not Working - F350SD

Fan is now working.

Not sure exactly what is going on, but suspect a fan motor in the process of failing.

Successful resolution steps:

1. Checked Black/Orange wire at resistor for voltage and found it to
be OK.
2. Checked Black/Orange wire at fan motor for voltage and found it to
be OK.
3. Fan was not running, so I removed it.
4. Plastic squirrel cage was filthy so I cleaned it off. Motor was dirty so
I cleaned off the outside and blew through the holes in the case by
mouth. Some black dirt fell out.
5. Rotated motor shaft by hand. Motor turned freely, but there seemed
to be more resistance than I expected. You could turn it, but not
spin it.
6. Hooked motor back up to connector without squirrel cage to see if
it was running (motor out of heater housing). Motor appeared to be
running fine. Thought that it might then be the resistor and the motor
was only running full speed all the time.
7. Put everything back together again and it seems to be running fine.
8. Tested all the fan speeds from inside the vehicle and they operated as
they should.

Blower motor resistor must be good if the blower operates at all four speeds. Blower motor may have been dirty or it may be going bad (although I don't hear any noise that would indicate worn out bearings).
A new motor is about $30 around here and you can swap it out in 30 minutes or less. So, at this point I'm going to wait and see what happens. If it quits again, I'll just replace the motor and the resistor at the same time.

Many thanks to all who helped. Maybe this info will help someone else with a similar problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I think you should be able to spin the blower motor by hand easily. It sounds like the bearings are probably drying up and causing too much drag. Keep an eye on it because it can start drawing too much current and the connector can get pretty hot.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Junior User

Blower motor not working - Ford F350SD

I understand. I did not see any signs of heat whatsoever; but most small motors like this blower motor can be spun easily by hand. The fact that this one doesn't caught my attention right away. It has sealed bearings and no provision for lubrication so that's out. Vehicle has 83K, so with AC and heat, its probably seen some usage.

Now that I've identified the problem, I'll probably won't be able to forget about it and will replace the motor in a week or so for peace of mind, if nothing else. We have a three week fall trip in the NE with the RV coming up the last week of September and I want to know that I can rely on the AC and heat working.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 AM
New User

teamnichols99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
great thread

Thanks for posting your experience. Great thread.

Had similar issues (fan quit blowing - then blew intermittently on speed 2 & 3, but not 1 and 4, and after trying speed 4 it would not only shut off, but shut down for good and speed 2 & 3 quit working as well).

After 6+ hours of tracing issues & problems (and running both batteries dead) it all came down to a loose wiring harness connection going to the blower motor. Go figure.

Here in Southern California we just had a few days of 100+ degree weather heat (and a WHOLE BUNCH of wild fires), and I believe the plastic harness and housing got hot / pliable and made it very easy the connection came loose with just typical driving.

Point being ... CHECK THE WIRING HARNESS CONNECTION to the blower motor ... FIRST. I can tell you from first hand experience they DO, AND WILL, come loose.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Junior User

More good info

This is more good info to add to the thread for the next Guy.

For what it's worth, my fan is still going strong so no problems after s thorough cleaning.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM
New User

n.oe is starting off with a positive reputation.
paying it forward.

Just my 2c. this information was very helpful for me so I thought I'd post for next guy.

2004 F250 Powerstroke 6.0 Diesel. AC and blower were working just fine. Really hot day parked after driving it for a couple of hours. When started the truck again the ac was not blowing any air. I could hear the CLUTCH FAN engaging when I would turn the dial but no air would come out.

Looked up this tread and tried the cheapest solution first. Changed the resistor- about 5 minutes total to change. No solution. Removed the ac blower motor and noticed complete free spin when turning by hand. Connected 12v directly to prongs to see if anything would happen, completely dead.
Ran to autoparts store and got replacement, installed it maybe 20 minutes total time to swap. tried it and viola, full blast.

Thanks for all that take the time to post problem and solutions- big help for beginners such a me. Gave me what to look for and replace.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:20 PM