1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flathead V8 in my 51'

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
F1Jayhawk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flathead V8 in my 51'

So, I'm pretty green as far as restoring/rebuilding trucks go. Right now I've got a Flathead 8BA but I keep hearing that they don't do that great if you're getting to speeds over 50 mph. I'm wanting to restore the truck so it appears the way it originally did (body) but I'm wanting to be able to cruise in it quite a bit. I've already decided that I'm going to put a new front end on it (not sure what one though I need) and I'm wanting to change the transmission out to make it an automatic (not sure on what transmission to go with) and finally I'm thinking I'll need a new engine and just sell the flathead I've got (don't know what engines I should be looking at).

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. I don't need tons of power to be a speedracer but also don't want the weakest thing either.

thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
You may be right with your thinking from the sounds of your description. And while several members here will likely have a coronary from this discussion, with all the changes you desire, adding a 302 with the auto trans and updated suspension is a natural fit. They're easy to install with their compact size, making things like fitting exhaust and steering linkage not so much of a problem as it would with a larger engine. You've have good power and good fuel economy, too. Parts will be cheaper than working on the flattie and very readily available. Some people will no doubt try to talk you out of it since it is a stocker still, and they are getting hard to find, but it's your truck and you should build it for you, not anyone else.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I can give you 2 separate options (I've got 2 trucks). My 49 F1 is original with the flathead. It has 16 inch radials on the original rims too. I can cruise it up to about 60 to 65 mph as a top end max. If my steering box didn't have slack, it honestly wouldn't be that bad for short periods of time above 60. It will run 55 mph all day long. In my experience, the flathead doesn't really wind up too tightly with big high RPM's (no tach to base this on, just by ear) even when you floor it. It just sort of ignores your right foot at a certain point and shows you what it has with the original rear end (3.73).

On the other hand, my 50 F1 has/had a 302 with a C6 attached to the original 3.73 rear end. Cruised all day long. I can't win a drag race with that truck, but it's pretty comfortable to drive with that combo. If I was bound and determined to just have a nice daily driver/cruiser, I would get a 302 or a 351W and a C4 or AOD transmission. But you have to really stay on your toes with the increased power if you keep the straight front axle and leaf springs. But you'll get tons of opinions and options.

Personally, I'd rather drive the truck with the flathead any day of the week if given the choice.

EDIT: Wayne and I were typing at the same time. He is right. Build it to suit yourself. The only time that I really get upset over somebody wanting to pull a flathead is when somebody buys a perfectly restored truck that is all original and completed with intentions of chopping it apart or dropping a big engine down in it. On the other hand, if you are gonna have to re-do the truck anyway, do what makes you happy.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
hxgaser
Senior User
What is your definition of cruise? If you want to drive at higher speeds without taxing the motor, all you have to do is get a different rear end. Obviously going 80mph in a stock steering/suspension/brakes may have some issues.

A properly built flathead will not have problem pushing the truck to a reasonable speed with quickness.

Obviously it will be easier/cheaper to build a small block than a flathead.

You may want to define what you want before venturing as everyone else said.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna keep the flathead and put a T5 trans in it to make it more driveable. The 4 speed spur gear make all kinda noise. I can go highway speeds but the gas milage kills me. I'm not interested in a fast truck just a comfy one. Mine will easily go as fast as the law will allow. I have already added Power disc brakes on the front to make it stop. I too am gonna keep it stock looking and I dont really care if I ever paint it.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
several members here will likely have a coronary from this discussion,
Yeah Wayne, I'm one of them grabbing my chest........

I just returned from a 500+ mile trip in my flathead V8 powered truck. The thing ran great.....will cruise at 70 all day long. (3.00 gears). It road and drove pretty good for a 60 year old truck that is pretty stock underneath. All in all I am very happy with my flathead....
Would I like to have an auto trans, power steering, AC, and all the rest? Sure....but then it would be a different truck.

Flatheads are cool, but not for everyone. They have their quirks.... for a novice I would actually suggest a newer power plant. It would be a lot easier than fighting with a cranky old flathead....save the flathead though, you may want to swap it back in later!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52

I just returned from a 500+ mile trip in my flathead V8 powered truck. The thing ran great.....will cruise at 70 all day long. (3.00 gears). It road and drove pretty good for a 60 year old truck that is pretty stock underneath. All in all I am very happy with my flathead....
Would I like to have an auto trans, power steering, AC, and all the rest? Sure....but then it would be a different truck.

Flatheads are cool, but not for everyone. They have their quirks.... for a novice I would actually suggest a newer power plant. It would be a lot easier than fighting with a cranky old flathead....save the flathead though, you may want to swap it back in later!
Well said, Thank you and pass the nitro pills!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
randy r
New User
this is my 2 1950 in my 1 i put 305 &tranny &reerend out of 87 monte carlo was not to hard to do got 20 miles to the gal. not real fast but i put a bigger carb on it lost gas milige take this if it will help ikep my straight axel put in new king pins

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tinman52

Flatheads are cool, but not for everyone. They have their quirks.... for a novice I would actually suggest a newer power plant.
This is exactly where I was going with my comment. If one isn't up to the task of learning a new (old) way of doing things, they may be better off with something newer and more familiar to work on. Personally, since I've never driven a flathead powered anything, maybe I just don't know any better. But all I know is I get excited at the thought of one day firing up and having my Merc motate under it's own antique side valve Henry power. I'm looking forward to it, and think I'm up to the task of carrying on that tradition. It will be a happy day.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Like the guy's said built it your way,but a nice little 302 & aod trans would go nice
in there & i am sure that you would be happy with it.I just hope that you keep it ford

Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
I'd take the flathead with a different rear end any day of the week. But that's just me and I built my truck like I wanted it.

I've been all over the USA and even ventured into Canada with it. Flatheads are dependable and reliable.

Just build it so it makes you smile when you're on the road. That's more important than what I've done with mine.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by randy r
this is my 2 1950 in my 1 i put 305 &tranny &reerend out of 87 monte carlo was not to hard to do got 20 miles to the gal. not real fast but i put a bigger carb on it lost gas milige take this if it will help ikep my straight axel put in new king pins
Translation,please?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
This is exactly where I was going with my comment. If one isn't up to the task of learning a new (old) way of doing things, they may be better off with something newer and more familiar to work on. Personally, since I've never driven a flathead powered anything, maybe I just don't know any better. But all I know is I get excited at the thought of one day firing up and having my Merc motate under it's own antique side valve Henry power. I'm looking forward to it, and think I'm up to the task of carrying on that tradition. It will be a happy day.
And here I thought you were trying to score a cheap flathead when he pulls it out!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
And here I thought you were trying to score a cheap flathead when he pulls it out!
Well, there is that.

I don't think a guy can have too many good running flatties laying around.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Any more questions?

Quick Reply: Flathead V8 in my 51'