Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Posting Guru

Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.Old F1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Question OFF TOPIC – I need some shop advice?

I’m doing sound deadener and insulation, the shinny tin foil stuff, because I have always wanted to, (pictures available upon request) and I got a small roll of aluminum foil tape (used in heating and a/c I think) to cover the seams (and where I screwed up) and with my bad old eyes and fat thumbs I spend more time trying to find an edge and separate the backing from the foil tape them then I do working, ………………..does anyone know of a technique or magic trick on how to find the edge to pull them apart?

Thanks,

(oh, put new speakers on the shop satellite radio and the blues sure sound good now)

“Old, cynical, and cranky
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Got any grand-kids?
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all
I think you should circumvent the laws of nature and do it your own way - Don't listen to all the folks that want you to do it in a way that would allow you to complete you insulation in a proper way.
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
Got any grand-kids?
Not yet, …….got married late so that I could get divorced late, ……and I did!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford View Post
I think you should circumvent the laws of nature and do it your own way - Don't listen to all the folks that want you to do it in a way that would allow you to complete you insulation in a proper way.
I am doing it my way,………. if I could only get the (expletive deleted) stupid backing off the tape!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old F1 View Post
Not yet, …….got married late so that I could get divorced late, ……and I did!
Excellent!Plan your work,then work your plan.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Elder User

gdgerland is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You can try a couple of ways to remove the tape from the backing. First try tearing it with your fingers which will leave an uneven edge with the backing or tape exposed. If that doesn't work, try sticking a piece of masking tape (not the blue type) on each side and use that to pull the tape from the backing.

Gil
Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Post Fiend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I'm always game for some pictures. What brand of deadener and insulation are you using, if things go as planned and I get this panel of mine painted I will likely be adding the sound deadening and insulation this winter. Hoping,lol
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Posting Guru

carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.carnut122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's the same insulation and tape I have on my garage. I'm not sure if it's possible, but maybe you could start one end of the tape about 6 inches and then pull the paper from the foil as you press the tape on. When you get to the end, rip only the foil and not the paper. Then you'll have a paper tail to pull the foil from for the next go.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Postmaster

Doc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to beholdDoc is a splendid one to behold
My shop ceiling is done the same exact way. I'm beginning to realize after reading this thread that I got lucky because I was doing it in the winter (tape wasn't as sticky because it was so cold). Carnut's trick should work.
1997 F150 XLT, 4.6L
2008 F250 XLT, 6.4L Powerstroke
2011 Expedition EL
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Posting Guru

You guys are the best, thanks for the ideas / suggestions. Sometimes it’s the little things that frustrate the heck out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56panelford View Post
I'm always game for some pictures. What brand of deadener and insulation are you using,
Now that seems like a simple question. Not so on the answer, my last project was noisy and hot so I am making every effort to make this one is cool and quiet.

The cab inside was completely painted then the floor inside and out, the firewall inside, and the back wall where coated with home made Lizard Skin (box liner and fiberglass Microspheres mix) then the cab floor, firewall and back wall, roof (to be done) where coated with two layers of rubber roofing material (ice barrier) left over from the last project. The roofing on the floor (that reads funny) was then covered with an EVA sound deadener kit off eBay and that was covered with the foil cotton waste insulation (very hard to cut) and then Classic Haulers carpet kit.

The inside of the firewall has the roofing material on the Lizard Skin then Dynamat (engine heat and sound) and then insulation (bubble type under the dash, much lighter) back wall much the same and headliner to do. Over 12 cans of two types of spray glue so far and upholstery to glue yet. ****……. but should be cool and quiet, huh?
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks