6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Review of the 6.2 F350 carrying a truck camper, MPG etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Review of the 6.2 F350 carrying a truck camper, MPG etc

I purchased my 2011 6.2 F350 to replace a 2008 6.4 diesel. The truck is used almost exclusively to carry a truck camper. I was disappointed in the fuel economy of the 6.4 and maintaince costs. Having heard good reviews of the 6.2 gasser on some RV forums I took a chance and made the swap. I got a very favorable trade in on the 08. I figured if I could get at least 10 MPG with the new truck it would be worth the swap.
I recently took the first long trip with the TC on the new truck.
[IMG][/IMG]
It was a trip I had made 3 times previously with the diesel. From Long Island NY, to the Florida Keys and back. With the 6.4 diesel the overall MPG was somewhere around 11.7 at speeds less than 65mph. The new 6.2 performed above expectations. On the 3812 mile round trip, at similar speeds I averaged 10.4mpg. That’s .4 mpg better than I was hoping for. This was mostly highway miles with some local thrown in. In addition there were numerous times the truck was idling with the AC on for ½ hour while one of us was in a store. Keep in mind this milage is with a 4000# plus payload with the aerodynamics of a brick. I found the milage was slightly improved with the cruise control off. This allowed me to keep in 6<SUP>th</SUP> gear on inclines rather than the cruise downshifting to maintain speed. The AC operation did not affect milage noticeably. There were tanks that were strictly highway that reached 11.3 mpg over 325 miles driven. The trip computer was never more than .1 different than hand calculated. Acceleration capabilitys were slightly less in the gasser than the diesel, due partly to greater torque in the diesel , and the diesel was equipped with twin turbo’s. But acceleration was more than adequate with the TC in the bed.
The new truck handles the weight of the TC as well as the diesel. Modifcations to the suspension include Firestone Airbags, SuperSpring Sway Stops, Rancho 9000XL shocks. As with the 08, I am comfortable with the handling.
The truck handles better when the trailer sway control from Ford is turned off. I think the milage might improve slightly also with the trailersway off.
On a non mechanical note, the new truck is a crewcab where the old was a supercab. The extra space of the crew was welcome and used well. The redesigned dash in the 2011 provides more comfort and ease on long trips than the old, with more a better designed storage, the SYNC system (hands free phone built into the radio, and better entertainment features), more and better placed 12v outlets, and a 110 inverter plug built in. The LCD info screen has more detailed info and is well designed.
Additionally , though not used on this trip, the 4X4 capabilities on soft sand at the beach seem better than the old truck. Whether this is due to the longer whellbase of the crewcab, the tires, or some mechanical improvement, its noticeable and appreciated.
Conclusions, for me this was a good switch. The truck performs very well in all respects, handling, capabilities, and comfort.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
stutzismydog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nycsteve~
I have been hoping that someone would post a review of a 6.2 carrying a truck camper and you have and answered my wishes. I also have an extended cab 2008 Job 1, F250, 6.4 that has caused me a considerable amount of grief mechanical wise to the point that I have retained a Calif. Limon Law Attorney to rectify my loss,….things are going good for a complete buy back.
I have a BigFoot 2500 C8.11 B that fits in a short pickup bed and weighs 2900# wet. The F250, 6.4 with Firestone Airbags at 70 PSI handled the camper and my two ATV on a trailer like a champ, with all of the power and handling that made for a comfortable trip to the outback’s of Nevada and Arizona,… but unfortunately the 6.4’s unreliability factor while being out in the boondocks was too much hustle for me to continue to keep that pickup and it only has 13,000 miles and is paid for.
I will no longer will look at a diesel powered pickup, the additional $8,000 cost , $ 0.30 P/G extra for fuel, much higher maintenance costs and contending with EPA’S giant screw up mandating the DPF curse that was cast on the diesel powered industry, is more than I want to contend with. I am now looking at a gas powered ¾ to 1 ton pickup to haul the camper and have been looking at the Ford 6.2L gas that you have reported on. GMC/Chevy. also has a 6.2 411 HP , Gas but they only place it into their ½ ton pickups,…you would think that Ovomit motors would meet Fords 6.2 challenge and install their 6.2 in a ¾/1 T pickups,….but NO !!! GM with their 6.0 L gas is a “DOG” in today’s 2500 market. I have not looked at the comparable gas powered Dodge pickups and plan to do that as I am no longer a brand compelled purchaser but will be looking for the best and most reliable combination.
Keep us posted on more comments about your 6.2 gas F350 camper combination and any upgrades that you install. I would also be curious about what other RV forums that reference the 6.2 as their choice for a slide in camper pickup.
Thank you.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by stutzismydog
Nycsteve~
I have been hoping that someone would post a review of a 6.2 carrying a truck camper and you have and answered my wishes. I also have an extended cab 2008 Job 1, F250, 6.4 that has caused me a considerable amount of grief mechanical wise to the point that I have retained a Calif. Limon Law Attorney to rectify my loss,….things are going good for a complete buy back.
I have a BigFoot 2500 C8.11 B that fits in a short pickup bed and weighs 2900# wet. The F250, 6.4 with Firestone Airbags at 70 PSI handled the camper and my two ATV on a trailer like a champ, with all of the power and handling that made for a comfortable trip to the outback’s of Nevada and Arizona,… but unfortunately the 6.4’s unreliability factor while being out in the boondocks was too much hustle for me to continue to keep that pickup and it only has 13,000 miles and is paid for.
I will no longer will look at a diesel powered pickup, the additional $8,000 cost , $ 0.30 P/G extra for fuel, much higher maintenance costs and contending with EPA’S giant screw up mandating the DPF curse that was cast on the diesel powered industry, is more than I want to contend with. I am now looking at a gas powered ¾ to 1 ton pickup to haul the camper and have been looking at the Ford 6.2L gas that you have reported on. GMC/Chevy. also has a 6.2 411 HP , Gas but they only place it into their ½ ton pickups,…you would think that Ovomit motors would meet Fords 6.2 challenge and install their 6.2 in a ¾/1 T pickups,….but NO !!! GM with their 6.0 L gas is a “DOG” in today’s 2500 market. I have not looked at the comparable gas powered Dodge pickups and plan to do that as I am no longer a brand compelled purchaser but will be looking for the best and most reliable combination.
Keep us posted on more comments about your 6.2 gas F350 camper combination and any upgrades that you install. I would also be curious about what other RV forums that reference the 6.2 as their choice for a slide in camper pickup.
Thank you.
Forgot to mention, my truck has the 4.3 rear. Maybe thats why it does better in soft sand in 4X4. Also I have the E-Lock Rear Diff.
The RV forum is RV.net in the truck camper forum. I'll try to post a link.............

RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Search for posts from a member named Matho , his review of his new 6.2 eas the clincher for me. Plus theres tons of good TC info on that site.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
jcmengel
New User
Nice to see someone with a truck camper happy with the 6.2. I ordered a 2012 f250 with the 6.2 to replace a 2008 dodge 2500 CTD. I do many things with the truck from plowing snow to hauling a TC every other weekend. The fuel mileage in the CTD is good for a big truck around 17mpg but the dpf is causing issues with the turbo (replaced 2 times in 3 years with only 55k miles). Im hoping with the higher payload the new truck handles even better than the dodge. Also getting new plow with new truck...the whole package should be here by mid sept.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM
porsche
New User
I hauled a 3000 lb camper and towed a 3200 pound enclosed cargo trailer from Michigan to Fla Keys and back last Dec to March with my F350 Super Cab 8 foot box with 10700 gvw and 373 gears. Mileage was about 9.5 to 10 with higher mileage with only camper on. Truck handles load as well or better than my previous F350 with a v10. New transmission is very friendly to this truck. I now also have pulled 10000 pound fifth wheel several times and it pulls as easy as camper with trailer behind it. I have no complaints about this package. When in the hills I turn off the 6th gear and cruise in order to drive with my foot and it seems to make it much smoother with better mileage too. Now if a turbo would be added to these trucks that would be interesting. Oh, the electronic locker is great too.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Buckholz
Senior User
I use my '11 for both my popup truck camper and my big ol TT. When tow/hauling on interestate, I switch the tranny into manual mode, and lock it into 6th, and downshift manually as needed for grades. I find it easier to manual shift on the stalk than my '06 diesel manual tranny.... Now, if I can just get my CF paddle shifter retrofit off the ground.......

Buck in Flagstaff, Mech Eng

BTW, I "third" my happiness with the Elocker diff.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
stutzismydog
Freshman User
Things are still going good according to my Lemon Law Attorney and I am looking forward to a settlement on my an extended cab 2008 Job 1, F250, 6.4 in about 6 to 8 weeks.
I have a BigFoot 2500 C8.11 B that fits in a short pickup bed and weighs 2900# wet. The F250 SD, 6.4 with Firestone Airbags at 70 PSI handles the camper and pulls my two 700cc Suzuki ATVs on an aluminum trailer that probably weighs a total of 2,000# loaded with all of my ATV and stuff and the F250 SD handles this load like a champ. So did my Crew cab, 2002, 2500HD, Chevy Duramax before I totaled it in an unfortunate accident.
I read that most of you that haul 3,000# slide in campers drive F350 sized pickups and I now wonder if I should upgrade from a F250 to a F350 while hauling the same equipment that is noted above ??? Both the Duramax 2500 HD and the Ford F250 SD worked just fine on the several trips when we traveled to NV. and Az. and no feeling of being over loaded.
I guess my question is,…. would I lose the” RIDE” in a F350 vs. a F250 both loaded and unloaded ? The Duramax road considerably better than the new F250 and I was surprised at the difference, I don’t need to increase the shock from a stiffer ride to my kidneys and back by upgrading to the F350 if it is not necessary when driving around both empty and while the camper is stored. What do you think ???

From what I am reading in your posts the 6.2 L powered SD pickups will do the job not quite like a 6.4 but almost as good with out the problems caused by this EPA screwed up generation of diesels.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
With what you're intending to haul, I'd go with the 350 unless you live in a state that classifies it as a commercial vehicle (thus causing your insurance to go up). Mine rides great with or without a load on it.

Here's some good reading (the ride difference between the 2 is no different empty until you start to hit the auxiliary springs on the 350):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-f250-srw.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...h-options.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-250-a.html

Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
stutzismydog
Freshman User
Thanks silverbullet~ I appreciate that you took the time to posts the informative links.
After reading all of the wonderful links that you post, I am more incline to get the F250 with the camper special for the weight carrying capacity and still be able to drive it into my garaged. The F350 would not be able to make it through the door high wise as it is 2” taller in the rear end rising up the cab to the point of contact. I am going to need to be careful about the cab height and getting into the garage.

Now let’s have some more good stories about the 6.2 and what all you are doing with them.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall height will be affected with the 350 because of the taller blocks so it sounds like you'd be better off with the 250 (and probably a set of bags). A set of air bags would probably be beneficial as well.

Hopefully I'll have some good stories come Monday, I'm heading to Ohio on Sunday for Monster-4's get together/truck pull.

No good stories for me, my 5er plans got nixed for the next couple of years, wife wants a pool instead (sigh...). I still have a tandem axle flat bed that I load with atv's and my dirt bike but it's not that heavy (maybe 3-4k loaded)...

Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
borregoman
New User
DRW?

Hey NYCSTEVE,

I am looking at the same truck but with the DRW's. With the dual rear wheels I lose the rear locker option, I would have to look to the aftermarket for that.....

Why did you go with a single rear wheel instead of a dual set up?

Did you consider the Chevy 6.0?

Thanks!!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Mello Mike
New User
An excellent review. Sounds a lot like my own 2011 F-250 with the 6.2L. I, too, carry a truck camper.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Fish&Golf
Freshman User
Currently looking at a new truck to haul our Camper, and tow the boat with. I enjoyed reading this, nice write-up.