Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
K&N vs Wixx 6637

Whats the difference if any ?

I know you can run a pre-rap on the 6637

I don't know if you can buy a pre-rap for the K&N

Can either be run with out a pre-rap ?

opinions please..
Old 08-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Well, yes you can run a pre-wrap but it is really going to choke the air flow on either filter. You coule purchase gauze wrap (bandage) and make 1 maybe 2 wraps worund the filter and have good air flow still, but for street use it would be unnecessary.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com) .

If you look at the flow data, WIX HP filters flow 98+% of K&N and have a much smoother flow post filter plus excellent filtering.

Do some research. Once you see the 6637 filter and how massive it is....
You'll understand. It's super easy and really works great. Google diy tymar or 6637 mod.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Elder User

rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.rufushusky has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_fiend View Post
Whats the difference if any ?

I know you can run a pre-rap on the 6637

I don't know if you can buy a pre-rap for the K&N

Can either be run with out a pre-rap ?

opinions please..
Yes you can run either without a pre-filter. I run mine with a prefilter that came with the kit I got from RiffRaff diesel. Works very well. The 6637 filter is 99% at stopping course dust...K&N is ??? IMHO your best bet is the 6637 for a PSD under 450-500rwhp.

Sold:2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 4WD 7.3 4R100, 08 diff cover, RiffRaff 6637, HPX, 203* T-Stat, Stancor Relay, Mile Marker Hubs, 6.0 trans cooler
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
i ordered the 6637 kit Friday from riff.. should be here by Tuesday..
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Air Intakes, Air Filters & Ram Air

Tags
6637, 73, aftermarket, air, diesel, diesels, f250, filter, flow, ford, kit, kits, kn, place, stock, work