1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:21 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need advice

[Vehicle: 1952 Ford F-1, 239 Flathead, 3-speed on the column]

Hola,
I don't really have anyone to ask, so you good folks are my "surrogate fatherly mechanic advice" today.
Ive rebuilt all of the following; Ford AA-1 94 Carburator
Fuel Pump
Cleaned/ Re-finished OEM Air filter
OEM Radiator cleaned, sealed and refinished
Tested the Generator [OK]
Purchased new "Speedway" water pumps -awaiting motor mounts for install
and a few other non-engine related parts.

My Concern today is removing and refinishing the gas tank. I feel that the majority of the simple work needed in order to get this cougar purrin' is done. I don't have the shop manual for the truck but intend on getting it.

I'd like your advice and opinions on removing this sucker, its behind the bench seat in the cab and extends out the passenger side. Maybe if someone has a diagram or listing of all the screws, they could scan it and help me out.

How should I go about repairing any damage, as well as cleaning it out? Can I buy an all in one kit, or would it be wiser to just shell out the cash and have it done at a shop? I'm unequipped of special tools besides a ratchet set and various screwdrivers.

I purchased the original 1952 Supplement Manual, but was disappointed that my 239 isn't listed. What is the deal with that? My guess is that my truck was built in 1951 but sold as the 1952 model ( just like how you can buy a 2012 model vehicle today)

My last question, I promise.
I read on this forum I believe, that the hood spear below, meant that the truck was a 5 Star Deluxe Cab. What exactly does that mean? My truck has an all in one speaker/radio under the dash, visors, and the seat folds forward to reveal a small box/shelf that can store tools but that is the majority of any features.

IMG_0273 by flatheadfat, on Flickr

IMG_0278 by flatheadfat, on Flickr

I don't mean to be a bother by starting threads, I know some forum sites spend more time bashing newcomers for asking questions than they do offering advice.

Much Lovin' & Much Truckin',
Lucas

Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't help ya with the tank removal, but someone will be along soon.
And thats the great thing about this site/forum. Not any bashers that I am aware of, and I don't like bashers either. Those people don't seem to last long here. Welcome to the FTE, the best site I have ever been a part of!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
FlatHeadFat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear that! I just want a place to chat and share stuff

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatHeadFat

My Concern today is removing and refinishing the gas tank...I'd like your advice and opinions on removing this sucker, its behind the bench seat in the cab and extends out the passenger side. Maybe if someone has a diagram or listing of all the screws, they could scan it and help me out.

How should I go about repairing any damage, as well as cleaning it out? Can I buy an all in one kit, or would it be wiser to just shell out the cash and have it done at a shop? I'm unequipped of special tools besides a ratchet set and various screwdrivers.
Assuming you still have the stock gas tank, the part sticking out the passenger side isn't part of the tank, exactly. That's the filler neck, and is easily removed. The tank itself is fairly self explanatory as to how it removes. There's 2 bolts along the top and the fuel line underneath to disconnect. (Drain the gas first) After that, you just lift and separate.
Cleaning is best done by having it boiled out in a hot tank. Many radiator shops do, or used to, perform that service. If it's really rusty, you're going to be money ahead to replace it with a new reproduction unit. They are not that expensive, considering the cost of trying to refurbish an old crusty one, and the hassles and headaches you'll go through if the "fix" doesn't work.

I purchased the original 1952 Supplement Manual, but was disappointed that my 239 isn't listed. What is the deal with that? My guess is that my truck was built in 1951 but sold as the 1952 model ( just like how you can buy a 2012 model vehicle today)
The 1952 supplement was an update to the 1949-51 service manual covering the new, OHV 6 cylinder engine. Everything else you need to know about your truck will be found in the regular manual. Nothing much else changed.

My last question, I promise.
I read on this forum I believe, that the hood spear below, meant that the truck was a 5 Star Deluxe Cab. What exactly does that mean? My truck has an all in one speaker/radio under the dash, visors, and the seat folds forward to reveal a small box/shelf that can store tools but that is the majority of any features.
The additional hood trim doesn't exactly "mean" you have the deluxe cab package, but it is an indicator. The fancy hood trim is part of the deluxe trim package. But that radio you show is not part of it. That is someone's add on nightmare. It did include the hood trim, windshield and wing window stainless trim, fancier seat, dome light, arm rests and door trim panels. The forward folding seat and tool tray over the gas tank were standard features.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Wayne on getting the tank to a shop to have it done if possible. Trouble is there are fewer shops doing that now and finding one that will do it for less than the cost of a new tank may be impossible. When I had my 48 F-3 tank done in 2006 we had a radiator shop in town and he did it for about $65. When I checked on having my 49 F-1 tank done last year the shop was gone and I was given a price to do it from $200-$300 by shops out of the area. I eventually did it myself using electrolysis to clean the rust out and a three part kit by Bill Hirsh products to seal it. Bill Hirsh sells the only gas tank cleaning and sealing process that I know of that gasohol will not deteriorate over time. I am very satisfied with the results....

Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
The two bolts that hold the toolbox to the cab also hold the top of the gas tank. Remove the toolbox and the tank is loose except for the fuel line underneath the cab and the fuel filler and the wire on the sending unit.

Screwdriver and open end wrenches will do it in a pinch.

Your vin will tell you the year. F1R1 is 51. F1R2 is 52. Your hood spear is '52.