Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Elder User

Bankrupter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig5_12 View Post
I think I'll go full synthetic and pick up everything from amsoil, it's expensive, but I think worth it in the long run. I was able to find the pillar pods too, and maybe I'll try modifying one of the other years for the triple gauge one.
I got to the DMV today to change the title into my name which they gladly accepted $15 for, but then told me the transaction wasn't complete because I need a smog certification. Of course I immediately pointed out the place on the form that states it is exempt from a smog certification because it's being transferred from a grandparent to a grandchild...but even this didn't appease them. It didn't help at all that the lady I was talking too could barely speak English, so I have no idea what the reason she gave me was. It is obvious on the form that they gave me that the title was transferred into my name with my new address and I know my grandpa sent in the release of liability so nothing can come back to him. The registration was just paid in July so I figure I'll just wait until it's due next year before I worry about it...
The way I see it, the title is in my name, the trucks registration is paid through 2012 and I've got insurance.
What GVWR did you register it for? If you went light to save money they may take that exempt away. Same with commercial and personal reg. You save a buck to spend 3 later... In this state you cant gift to family also. Has to be a third party or they tax rape you. Yet you gift to a stranger and all is fine! I dont get it. I dont know how CA works just know its jacked up worse then here.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Senior User

Craig5_12 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I didn't get an option to register it for a different GVWR, the door tag reflects something like 9,200lbs. I think it's listed as commercial though, but I don't know if that saves or costs me anything. Can't gift to family, that sucks! I've not had a problem here, but this smog thing is throwing me for a loop! I don't know if it will pass, but I also don't want to pay $85 bucks to find out either way....I'll just wait until next year and then if I can't pass, "trade" it to my brother in a county where they don't have smog checks...
'89 F350 4X4 Crew Cab work truck
Old 08-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior User

srsparky32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://www.facebook.com/future737captain future737captn
Quote:
I didn't get an option to register it for a different GVWR, the door tag reflects something like 9,200lbs. I think it's listed as commercial though, but I don't know if that saves or costs me anything. Can't gift to family, that sucks! I've not had a problem here, but this smog thing is throwing me for a loop! I don't know if it will pass, but I also don't want to pay $85 bucks to find out either way....I'll just wait until next year and then if I can't pass, "trade" it to my brother in a county where they don't have smog checks...
there was a place around here when i used to live in Northridge, it would do a smog check for like 50 bucks. thorough and they knew what they were doing. only one of the family vehilces failed. the others passed.

but yeah getting a smog test in california is really stupid, as you still have to pay a lot of cash no matter where you go, and then if it fails all of the repair cost is on you
Old 12-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior User

Been awhile since I've posted. I ended up getting it registered in a county that doesn't require smog.
I ordered 8 A/T tires and now I need an extra spare wheel for it. Anybody local know a cheap place for a wheel, or have one lying around I can buy? I found a place in Rancho that will sell one for $100, but that seems overkill considering pick n pull lists them for $10.
Also looking for a front bumper I can put a winch on so I might be selling the perty chrome one here shortly.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior User

87-XL-Squared has a good reputation on FTE.87-XL-Squared has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks to the Original Poster for resurrecting this old thread I hadn't seen! Wow that is an awesome truck. There are so many things I like, a short list is the lack of chrome around the headlights and the black grille. My red & grey truck is like that and I like the way it looks. Second is the front wheel flares. Third is the stance, it screams BEAST!

Good luck and thanks again for bringing this old thread back to life!

Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]
1987 F150 XL RCLB Red & Grey 302 C6 3:08 Spartan Locker, LTX M/S 30x9.50 on factory 15x7.5 alloys
1987 F150 XL RCLB Blue & White 300 C6 2:73, Goodyear Wranglers on stock wheels
1991 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 RCSB Red & White 351 E4OD 3:55, Cooper STT's 31x10.50 on 15x8 Outlaw II's
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime74656 View Post
ehhhh synthetics are so so to me, yea it seems to help my truck run smoth but so do non synthetics...but synthetics I do prefer to use in my truck as generally they are made to be used on older vehicles...
Synthetics are great if they came from the manufacture with them, But there are down sides to older trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
synthetics dont break down like conventional oils do, and they dont leave gunk and residue.
I have been driving & owning vehicles for 50 years well over a million miles & have never lost any component because of the type of oils I was running. So that is all HYPE as far as I'm concerned in older vehicles. Again if the manufacture recommends it that is different.

Quote:
I think I'll go full synthetic and pick up everything from amsoil, it's expensive, but I think worth it in the long run. I was able to find the pillar pods too, and maybe I'll try modifying one of the other years for the triple gauge one.
I got to the DMV today to change the title into my name which they gladly accepted $15 for, but then told me the transaction wasn't complete because I need a smog certification. Of course I immediately pointed out the place on the form that states it is exempt from a smog certification because it's being transferred from a grandparent to a grandchild...but even this didn't appease them. It didn't help at all that the lady I was talking too could barely speak English, so I have no idea what the reason she gave me was. It is obvious on the form that they gave me that the title was transferred into my name with my new address and I know my grandpa sent in the release of liability so nothing can come back to him. The registration was just paid in July so I figure I'll just wait until it's due next year before I worry about it...
The way I see it, the title is in my name, the trucks registration is paid through 2012 and I've got insurance.
Craig if you put synthetics in the rear end you will be very sorry. The Sterling 10.25 seals will not hold synthetics. I owned one & tried, it worked for maybe a year before I lost my first seal. About 6 months later it cost me both seals & complete new brakes.
I guarantee synthetics will be more trouble than they are worth. My 460 had a slight leak at the rear main, no where else. I added synthetic motor oil & the pan started leaking around the pan gasket, & poured out the rear main seal.
If I was you I would just use what has been used in it with great results for 106,000. If it isn't broke WHY CHANGE OR TRY TO FIX IT.
Oh by the way a real nice truck I hope you don't mess it up, by listening to a bunch of hype.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Craig, it's much more likely that the seals in the rear would have failed with whatever lube you went with.there has been countless of combined millions of miles with these rears running with the synthetics issue free for a great number of years now.
if you go with the updated 10.25 HD seals,you should be fine.the original seal was the issue there.
as for the 460 pan,the odds are extremely high of that being another coincidence too.
synthetic's are far superior to dino.they last much longer and take the heat much better before braking down,they are much better at flowing well when cold too,but sometimes it's hard to let go of things we know are tried and true (though replaced much more often) especially after a couple seals and gaskets blew on ya,but the odds are 99.999999% they would have failed with the dino as well,but without the newfangled stuff in there to blame in on,you would have never thought another thing of it,just as seals going on ya countless times in the past when you ran dino over the years.

"If it isn't broke WHY CHANGE OR TRY TO FIX IT."

to make it better than it was 20-30 years ago.there was nothing wrong with the horse and buggy years earlier either,but look what Henry started.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Senior User

Sorry guys. I didn't want to start the conventional vs synthetic debate. It had been over a year since I'd posted and I've already gone the synthetic route. I've got an '08 Taurus X and I used the same synthetic for both. This truck sees less than 4k miles a year so I've not had any negative results yet.
Pick n Pull didn't have any wheels so I'm gonna end up paying $100 from the local Ford Dismantler.
Today I decided to modify the restrictive intake and this is what I came up with! Obviously didn't get too creative, I just needed to bend a little metal out of the way. I may change it later to have a filter on both sides of the radiator, but this works in the meantime. It's made a HUGE difference in the throttle response. I imagine it freed up some ponies and made accelleration a little better but I don't know if it'll help or hinder the MPG, not that it matters with how much I use this truck. Although I should be updating this thread more as I change the fuel filler tubes.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Posting Guru

Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
looking good, did you cut the horns out of the intake tubes yet?
1989 F250 4x4, 351W, ZF S542, 4:10s, Upgraded to Dana 60 SFA, 4" suspension lift, 33"s for street fun!
1993 F350 4x4, 7.3L N/A, ZF S547, 4:10s, 285/75/16 recaps
Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Freshman User

Markjr390 is starting off with a positive reputation.
least im not the one who bumped this thread, nice truck
Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Senior User

Yeah, cut those horns out too...WTF are those there for? I wasn't sure if I should plug/vent the other tube that runs from the manifold into that box though...what is it? I'll also be putting an oil breather on. How many other items can I remove/plug/vent since I won't be smogging this thing...ever.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Posting Guru

Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
My first guess would be some sort of warm air inducer. help the truck run better in cold temps. I would keep the PCV system. w/out it the crankcase temps rise causing carbon buildup
1989 F250 4x4, 351W, ZF S542, 4:10s, Upgraded to Dana 60 SFA, 4" suspension lift, 33"s for street fun!
1993 F350 4x4, 7.3L N/A, ZF S547, 4:10s, 285/75/16 recaps
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Posting Guru

Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.Truck Guy99 has a good reputation on FTE.
Any updates on this truck?
My names Tye and I'm 16 "The Red Baron" 1988 F350 4x4 CCLBSRW 460 V8 C6 3 spd Hedman Mid-length Hedders, Turbo muffler with duals, Ranch Hand bumper, blacked out chrome, cb with antenna, and a thumpin Pioneer stereo! Coming soon: Dually conversion and Cummins swap!
Build thread http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ld-thread.html
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 AM