Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your mudding mishaps

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hows this? Not my truck but I put this vid together.

Davidsfarm Tribute Video to his Old Ford Diesel Truck - YouTube

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM
srsparky32
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow! that truck really loved the offroad

Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
These two happenings weren't in the mud, or mishaps on my part, but..

A 3500 4door dually Cummins with a camper was stuck halfway up a hill on a shelf road in the CO backcountry. I was biking but had my truck just a few miles away. This guy was blocking the road and there were a bunch of people behind him. He was in the wrong, never should have taken that pig of a truck up a road like that. The people behind him were all in well equipped jeeps/trucks/fourwheelers. So I felt bad and decided to help get the big truck out of the way. He had high centered on a rock, put about a 30* bend in the rear driveshaft. So just running front wheel drive with his *****ty highway tires. Front bumper was pretty much on the ground cus he was stuck trying to get up a bump. I hooked two 2" snap straps together, hooked up to his front tow hooks, went into 4x low, and began the process. I was shaking the whole time, it was even scary just backing down the hill. Hooked up to a 7500 pound truck witha 2000 pound or more camper in the bed, if he slid off my truck was gone and I'd be lucky to get out in time. His outer dually tire wasn't really on solid ground, thats how narrow this road is/how bad a spot he got himself into. Ended up getting about a 25 foot run at it before the strap went tight, then stayed in the throttle hard enough to spin the tires a little and throw some football sized rocks around. Got him up the hill. Payout was $163, everything in his wallet. I was later told that the real tow trucks charge ~$1000 for the same job. The road was Schofield Pass Rd. at Devil's Punchbowl near Marble, CO.

The other time, I was driving up a muddy/snowy hill with 5 people in the cab, and my sled in the bed of the truck. Chains on the front axle, we were cruising along pretty well. Then a chain came partly off so I stopped to tighten it back up. Along comes another Cummins truck. This one was a 2500 four door long bed SRW with big balloon tires and a little lift. He slid off the edge of the road when he failed to make the switch back at the top of a hill. I hooked a snap strap to his front tow hooks and the other end to my front tow shackle (I made a sweet little setup that holds 2 10,000 pound shackles, don't even know its there but its plenty tough). Again, 4x low and several hard snaps plus some throttle once he was moving. Moral here is, carry chains when you're driving up stteeepp grades in the CO backcountry in late October.

Another time, early winter season before our back roads close, I pulled a 2500HD Chevy out of the drainage ditch that runs along the gravel road.

A little funny, but I've never pulled a ford out of anything. Two Dodges, one Chevy, and one Mustang skid steer. In hindsight, I would have walked away from that 3500 and told him to call H&H towing out of Gunnison, CO. They have some BA wreckers for this exact purpose.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM
srsparky32
Senior User
nice that the guy paid you a nice sum of cash. made the risk worth it. built ford tough bro! saving all of the dodges and chevys like always!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
our old dentside, took us about 4 hours to get er unstuck

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Oh I wasn't going to do it for free, just getting to his truck was sketchy. Had to stack up some rocks to get down a natural staircase, my t-case wouldn't have cleared otherwise. Actually revisited this place last week (that tow job was 4 years ago), and clipped a rock with the rear wheel, took a chunk out of the alloy, my own fault, but that was due to a very brief lack of attention. Several people in jeeps saw me on that road last week and told me there was no way I'd make it, I just smiled and waved. haha
It is fun to put these trucks to the test though!

Wow! yeah you were really in it there RavensFan!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
lol yeah it pretty much sunk there,,,,its crazy how well that truck will go through deep mud though ..full throttle granny gear oh yeah!!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I hate to say ths, but you guys have some

Here's a stuck.... 44s and locked axles stuck for 4 hours.
4 other rigs tied to the 5th with a winch to get it out after we broke my 6 inch wide recovery strap in half jerking on it. That strap was rated for a 32,000 pound stuck vehicle.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 AM
srsparky32
Senior User
wow hav24wheel! you got in there...damn haha.

actually on my original post, i got really lucky, only part of my front axle got completely submerged in the mud. my friend's dodge however was not so lucky. his 4wd failed him and he completely sank in past his axles.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:54 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sterling Archer
Not a Ford, but definitely a mishap. I wound up having to drain out a few gallons of water on the passenger side and cut out the carpet.

Nice cherokee!! reminds me of my 92,that jeep would go places i am afraid to take my heavy truck. But,alas,the kids got older and bigger,so i had to get a vehicle we could haul kids and camping gear in,so the jeep had to go to be replaced with my current 1995 f150 extended cab.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
kaduh
Senior User
I thought I was just going to cut a little fart......

Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

Originally Posted by cjben
Nice cherokee!! reminds me of my 92,that jeep would go places i am afraid to take my heavy truck. But,alas,the kids got older and bigger,so i had to get a vehicle we could haul kids and camping gear in,so the jeep had to go to be replaced with my current 1995 f150 extended cab.
Thanks. It was a good vehicle. I regretted selling it.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not really a mudding mishap (unless you count not taking pictures a mishap) but waws off roading just before it started to rain here and left dual 11s in the dirt/mud and on the pavement and forgot to take a picture of it in my excitement LOL!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I had my 84 F250 with water/mud coming over the hood onto the windshield few times.

Once while slogging through a trail, I hit a hole probly 5' to 6' deep just before dark! Water OVER the roof and did not see the bed at all but the ole 300 I6 keeped chugging through on 3 cylinders! Got a wet azz with all the water pouring through the rust holes, lost another radio but at least we got out and home. After changing all fluids and greasing every think back up, draining water from places water should not be, we went back out to check that sippy hole out. When we got there, we found a chebby totaly under water with just the light bar showing. I pulled him out and got some $$$, and we told him about our experiance last week in that hole.

We found out why that hole was soooo deep, some $#^$&@$%^ dug it with a back hoe as a truck trap. The chevy guy knew about the hole but found it the hard way like we did, He told us only a very few trucks ever made it through that deep hole and was supprized my 33" tires on my truck got through.

Later that day, I did sunk my truck and had to get pulled out, at least this time the mud wasn't as deep as that sippy hole! Lost the starter on that probly due the the last week dunking and the mud.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM
srsparky32
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
I had my 84 F250 with water/mud coming over the hood onto the windshield few times.

Once while slogging through a trail, I hit a hole probly 5' to 6' deep just before dark! Water OVER the roof and did not see the bed at all but the ole 300 I6 keeped chugging through on 3 cylinders! Got a wet azz with all the water pouring through the rust holes, lost another radio but at least we got out and home. After changing all fluids and greasing every think back up, draining water from places water should not be, we went back out to check that sippy hole out. When we got there, we found a chebby totaly under water with just the light bar showing. I pulled him out and got some $$$, and we told him about our experiance last week in that hole.

We found out why that hole was soooo deep, some $#^$&@$%^ dug it with a back hoe as a truck trap. The chevy guy knew about the hole but found it the hard way like we did, He told us only a very few trucks ever made it through that deep hole and was supprized my 33" tires on my truck got through.

Later that day, I did sunk my truck and had to get pulled out, at least this time the mud wasn't as deep as that sippy hole! Lost the starter on that probly due the the last week dunking and the mud.
wow, nice story. some really mean people out there to dig a hole to trap people..not everybody has lots of cash to fix damage to their vehicle if they get stuck in there.

Quick Reply: Post your mudding mishaps