1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

'70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Farm Boy
Here is the full link. Mercury Marauder Suapension It was developed for the Mercury Marauder, which uses the same suspension as the Crown Vic. There is also some good info on the Marauder forums that is linked there also. There is a good writeup and install in the August 2011 issure of Car Craft magazine of this setup, much more info than on the website.
David.
If it is something you can benefit from. At $600 to not lower my nose any more just be able to adjust the shock rate for me I would have to pass on them. I don't plan of pushing my truck nearly as hard as I would think that would make such a kit a good investment.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
The truck is on the ground and for the most part finished. The left bearing is bad and caused the tire to rub. Had to leave it and have the bearing replaced. Couldn't drive it very far at all the way it is. I did get to take it for a short run and it rides excellent!

The passenger shock getting lined up for the upper mounts to be put in. From the front view.

Same side from the rear view.

From the rear.

I did not make it back to get picks of the shocks installed before the bed went on but do have a couple pics of the upper mounts. Passenger side.

Drivers side.

Bed on, from the rear, still on the hoist.

Under the truck, left side, from the front.

Under the truck, right side, from the front.

Outside. Not the best pics but I will take more tomorrow.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
The install looks great!
Kind of hard to see in the pics, but, how much clearance is there from the inside of the rear tires to go in towards the frame? It looks like maybe the front suspensions mount arms may be the limiting factor in how wide a tire you could put on with this conversion.
When I finally get around to this on my 72 I want to use as wide a rear tire as I can and with the stock rear setup if I move the fenderwells in on the box I can go almost to the frame rails. Would that be possible with the IRS setup?
You can fill the fenderwell. You might be able to move the inside of the fenderwell in 1 1/2" - 2" and pick up a little more width. I wouldn't see it as worth the effort for the gain.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
Blue Oval Farm Boy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that stance is awsome. I can see where I would be able to put all the rubber I want under there. It looks like there is room on the front to put a wider rim on too, would give it a little bit more of an "old school" look.
Will you eventually be moving the gas tank out of the cab? If so, will there still be room to install one in the rear of the truck with the IRS?
Once again, looks great, height looks just perfect!
David.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Wow, that stance is awsome. I can see where I would be able to put all the rubber I want under there. It looks like there is room on the front to put a wider rim on too, would give it a little bit more of an "old school" look.
Will you eventually be moving the gas tank out of the cab? If so, will there still be room to install one in the rear of the truck with the IRS?
Once again, looks great, height looks just perfect!
David.
David I am leaving the tank in the cab. To me that is one of the things that make it look like an old truck. Might be weird but I like it there. Those wheels came with the IRS and are just "junk" wheels holding the truck up. I will have to have some custom built but am going with the old street rod style solid reverse look painted to match the truck with trim rings and center caps.

I think it was Macs where I seen a gas cap with the Ford V8 emblem in the center. May go with the same V8 in the center of the hub caps. Maybe Ford in script or block letters.

A tank could easily be mounted along the frame in front of the IRS. A tank in the tail I doubt because of exhaust if you run it out the back. I plan on having my exhaust high enough it is inside the rails and tipped down at the end right behind the rolled pan that isn't there yet.

It is hard to tell in the pics how low it is. I will get more pics tomorrow but I am 5' 11" and the driprail is about even with my throat. I will look more at the tail for tank placement. I think it all depends on what you want for an exhaust.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Greg55_99
New User
Excellent work! Can you tell me the outside tire to outside tire width measurement for the front and rear? What wheels are those? Great work on your project. Very well thought out!

Greg

Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greg55_99
Excellent work! Can you tell me the outside tire to outside tire width measurement for the front and rear? What wheels are those? Great work on your project. Very well thought out!

Greg
At this time the outside wheel to wheel is wider up front than out back. The wheels are just some "hold the truck up" wheels that came with the IRS. They are 17" but that's all I know about them. They are not staying. I will try to get the measurements you want in the next few days. She is still in the shop getting the bearing changed on the left side.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
diehardfordtruck
Junior User
SUWEEET.....Looking good!! Iwould like to know about how high the bottom of the front bumper is off the ground,it looks about the height I want mine to set. Keep the pictures coming...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diehardfordtruck
SUWEEET.....Looking good!! Iwould like to know about how high the bottom of the front bumper is off the ground,it looks about the height I want mine to set. Keep the pictures coming...
I will get a measurement but to give you an idea the driprail on the truck is even with my throat. So if you figured out how much your truck would need to drop to get your driprail lined up on your throat and subtracted that from your bumper height you will be real close.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diehardfordtruck
Finally got some measurements.

Bottom of front bumper to the ground - 10 3/4"
Ground to bottom of fender just behind the front tire - 10 1/4"
Ground to bottom of bedside right in front of the rear tire - 12"
Ground to center of front wheel opening - 25 1/16"
Ground to center of the rear wheel opening - 25 1/2"

This puts me at a 1 3/4" rake. I am wanting 2 1/2" so I have a bit to adjust. I will do that after I have the wheels and tires on it along with the 460/C6 in it.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Putting the 460/C6 in it might just do it for you. BTW, I saw earlier, that you put a figure of $1,150 out there, was that the total cost of the IFS/IRS swap, or was that just labor or what? I am thinking of doing this same swap to mine down the road and would like to get an idea of what it will set me back. If you don't mind of course.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Putting the 460/C6 in it might just do it for you. BTW, I saw earlier, that you put a figure of $1,150 out there, was that the total cost of the IFS/IRS swap, or was that just labor or what? I am thinking of doing this same swap to mine down the road and would like to get an idea of what it will set me back. If you don't mind of course.
$1150 is what I had into the IFS. If you can do your own welding & swap out the springs you can take $400 off of that. That includes $200 for 1 1/2" for springs. It was winter here and just after I had the heart attack so I had a shop put the springs in for me. The labor was $200 & $200 for the welding work on the IFS install.

I have $1150 for the IRS but again if you can do your own welding you can take $400 off that. So I have a grand total of $2300 for the entire suspension work but it could be done for roughly $1500. I paid $250 for my IFS and $125 for the IRS. What you pay for yours will change the numbers as well.

I got a call this morning. My motor mounts went out from NV yesterday morning & should be here by the 7th. The engine should be in soon. Then the really bad part. Wheels. Given what I want and naturally won't settle for anything less I am looking at about $1500 for a set of 4 complete without tires. Wheels can be had for far less but not what I want for my truck.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I have not learned the art of welding yet, so I will pay someone to do that. I will keep the six but will rebuild it, and add Clifford parts to it. I don't know what wheels I wil go with, but I know they will not be $1,500

Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Cool, thanks for the info. I have not learned the art of welding yet, so I will pay someone to do that. I will keep the six but will rebuild it, and add Clifford parts to it. I don't know what wheels I wil go with, but I know they will not be $1,500
The way I look at it is the truck is paid for and I don't need to hurry anything so I get what I want for it. Might take me a bit longer to save the money to have what I want. I can weld but am no longer able to due to a defibulator implant. You will need to run a minimum of 16" wheels to clear the front brakes.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Some pics from the local cruise in yesterday with a friend of mine's '68 2WD LWB. The wheels on the '68 are the wheels that were on my truck when it was bought. He put a bunch of work into them to get them to shine like that. The IRS drew a bit of attention. It is the very end of the season so that weren't that many people there. Maybe 30 or so. Normal is well over 200.

Quick Reply: '70 F100 CV IFS/TBird IRS Build