EGR delete Kit Installation TIPS - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

EGR delete Kit Installation TIPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior User

phantomphixer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
EGR delete Kit Installation TIPS

Heads up to all EGR delete kit installers:
Installed a River City Diesel (RCD) EGR delete kit this weekend, in my 2006 6.0 F350. The entire job took appx 12 hours. A few of those hours were my fault. Dropped bolts, nuts (dropped on top of tranny) etc. Added in breaks too. Recommend an assistant too.
Before I walk thru the whole delete/install procedures, a few points to be made.
1. Throw the instructions away from RCD and download and print the instructions from Sinister. Theirs are in color and a lot more pictures.
2. Get a thick piece of foam to lay on top of the engine. I did but chest is still tender today.
3. “V” band clamps are 7/16” not metric.
4. You do not need to remove the oil/fuel filter assembly nor the intercooler return elbow and duct.
5. Most of the hard parts are at arms length and your arms will let you know it the next day and the day after.
6. You’ll need a complete deep well Metric 3/8” and ¼” drive set. Rachet wrenches help in a lot of spots. Mech’s mirror too.
7. FYI I’m an aircraft mechanic, not a diesel mechanic, so if you follow the instructions and with these tips you’ll be fine. Just expect an all day job.
8. All my directions are from the front of truck looking aft into engine bay.fficeffice" />>>
9. Make sure to install new metal gasket at top of new down pipe.
10. Follow the instructions from Sinister and use the following tips as needed.

A. Remove air filter and all associated ducting aft of the filter.
B. Remove intercooler down pipe and upper connecting hose.
C. Disconnect alternator wires and remove 3 mounting bolts and let tip forward. Hold on to it because it tilts forward fast.
D. Disconnect ‘V” band clamp from LH rear of turbo.
E. Crawl under truck and remove 2 nuts from tailpipe to catalytic converter. They’re directly under front passenger seat.
F. While under truck loosen exhaust manifold bolts on drivers side of engine. You’ll need a 10mm wrench and 13mm short socket and a short extension. Same on passenger side but take those completely out and you’ll need a group of long extensions and a swivel ext or swivel socket. These nuts are just inboard of rear side of tires, up high.
G. Reaching over/around/whatever it takes disconnect “V” band clamp behind RH side of turbo.
H. Remove 3 mounting bolts from turbo. LH and RH front bolts are front to back. Aft mount bolt is vertical on my truck. Picture on Sinister’s directions show it facing fwd. You can see it under turbo if you look hard enough. Wasted a lot of time on this part, looking for fwd facing bolt.
I. Reach under turbo with small pry bar and pop turbo up, out of cradle.
J. Roll/lift turbo towards the Alternator mount. It’s heavy. Say cuss words during this part.
K. Remove turbo cradle 2 bolts fwd RH side, 2 bolts LH middle side of mount.
L. I did not take out the “Y” pipe on RH side of turbo.
M. Fought the “T” pipe out and threw it on the ground.
N. You must loosen the intake manifold bolts on the drivers side. There are 2 nuts on the aft studs holding a heat shield. After removing these 2 nuts lift up the shield and loosen the other 2 nuts under the heat shield. Leave all bolts and studs in place, just loosen them.
O. LH side (remember this is always looking aft into engine bay) you must remove all bolts/studs and stow them so you can put them back in the very same holes.
P. Just to the left of the EGR valve are a stud and a bolt head. These hold the EGR cooler in the front. Take these out and stow them, they’re used to install your bypass kit. Plus 1 holding in the aft part of the cooler.
Q. Remove the 2 each 15mm head bolts from the fan shroud and the smaller bolt just above the LH shroud bolt.
R. Gently prying up on the intake manifold and pushing down on the EGR cooler should release it from it’s position. Might need a tap with a small mallet.
S. I cut the hose with a knife. You’re changing it anyway. There is water in the cooler, try to pour it on yourself while removing so you can cuss some more.
T. Install new EGR bypass and hose.
U. Reassembly will make you cuss a lot.
V. Reinstall intake manifold bolts/studs making sure that the LH (Remember facing aft into engine bay) intake gasket has not shifted out of place.
W. Do not tighten any bolts on the manifolds as you reassemble them and during installation of the new down pipe. Install all bolts with nuts, you’ll tighten those soon enough.
X. Install turbo cradle then turbo.
Y. “Y” pipe (behind to the right of turbo “V” band clamp should be reinstalled now with nut facing top/fwd.
Z. Now tighten all exhaust manifolds, new down pipe and turbo clamps. Top of new down pipe can be tightened with turbo installed. Just need to do some acrobatics and cuss a lot.
AA. Attach exhaust pipe to turbo making sure tab is on over the top of the flange of the turbo and have someone move the exhaust pipe under the truck until you can install the “V” band clamp. After it’s tight reconnect the exhaust pipe to the catalytic converter.
BB. Reinstall the alternator by tipping it into place using a couple of heavy duty long straight shank punches or Phillips screw drivers. It’s time to say a few more cuss words at this point.
CC. Install intercooler hot side down pipe and air filter and ducting.
DD. Removed EGR valve at this time, installed blank out plate and using the aft mount bolt from the EGR cooler, mounted the EGR valve on the low temp intercooler elbow where the empty screw hole is, aft side.
EE. Don’t forget shroud bolts and clipped in piece that goes on top of shroud.
FF. I flushed my radiator at this point and double checked for tools/ wiring connectors hooked up so on , etc.
GG. Make sure you check fan area for tools. Found my pry bar just waiting to go slinging around in the fan/radiator area.
>>
>>
Good luck. Hope this helps. The terror is still fresh in my mind and the sore muscles should be gone tomorrow. Learn a few more cuss words and have your assistant add theirs to the mix. Send me a PM if you need help but I’ll respond faster to a phone call. 928-503-2194 >>
Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I remember pulling my turbo out for the first time..It took me 3 hours, now 30 minutes or less...

Im sure if you had to do it again it would be considerably less time, but great write up!
2006 Ford F350 6-Speed, Aluminum Flat bed, Regular Cab, Blue spring,SRL SCT Tuned, 4 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust, Scan Gauge II, 03 Turbo, EGR delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ARP Head-Studs, 2In leveled on 35 in TOYO M/T w/pro comp wheels -12mm offset
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Elder User

_Me2_ has a good reputation on FTE._Me2_ has a good reputation on FTE.
So you're saying that you cussed a lot?
2005 F-250 6.0 Lariat CCLB FX4 4X4, ARP studs, SRL Extreme tune, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, HPO system updated, Fabtech 6" lift, Nitto Terra Grappler 34" tires, blue spring, coolant filter, MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Me2_ View Post
So you're saying that you cussed a lot?
I think thats safe say, but hey dont we all?
2006 Ford F350 6-Speed, Aluminum Flat bed, Regular Cab, Blue spring,SRL SCT Tuned, 4 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust, Scan Gauge II, 03 Turbo, EGR delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ARP Head-Studs, 2In leveled on 35 in TOYO M/T w/pro comp wheels -12mm offset
Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior User

Randy777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks alot that was a great writeup. I plan to do mine this winter and I'm not looking foward to it.
Isspro Gauges- Coolant Temp, Oil Temp
Tranny Temp, Pyro, Boost, Fuel
pressure, Scan Guage II
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Senior User

JESTERxHEAD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea it sucked......the first time I got the turbo off and on....my god it took 45 min. of pizzin' and moanin' bunch of 4 letter cuss words and let the freakin' stars align to get that turbo back in the hole....

good writeup though.....

btw. just so everyone is clear with the terms the down pipe is the 3.5" pipe going twards the muffler the passenger side Up pipe is what you replaced......
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Senior User

counciller is starting off with a positive reputation.
excellant write up - thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Junior User

blowin_smoke_1977 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Joseph Martin
Another note: To get the 3.5" downpipe to align to the turbo flange it is easy for one person to do it with the aid of a ratcheting tie-down strap. Loop the long end of the strap twice around the downpipe's elbow. Feed the nylon strap through the round hook eyelet to secure it to the downpipe and extend the long strap up to the ratchet that is hanging from the hood latch. Insert strap into ratchet and take up slack. LIGHTLY tighten the ratchet until you pull positive tension on the downpipe. REMEMBER, this is the hood you're pulling down on. The object here is to pull tension on the downpipe, not pull the hood into the turbo cradle or cause damage to anything. A little discretion and moderation can go a long way. This saves lots of time and reduces the over-use of those furry little four letter words. Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphixer View Post
S. I cut the hose with a knife. You’re changing it anyway. There is water in the cooler, try to pour it on yourself while removing so you can cuss some more.

U. Reassembly will make you cuss a lot.

Z. Now tighten all exhaust manifolds, new down pipe and turbo clamps. Top of new down pipe can be tightened with turbo installed. Just need to do some acrobatics and cuss a lot.

BB. Reinstall the alternator by tipping it into place using a couple of heavy duty long straight shank punches or Phillips screw drivers. It’s time to say a few more cuss words at this point.
Thank you! I had to print this out and explain to my wife that
my cuss'n is PART of every repair job!

Sounds like a 2 6-pack Beer job to me?
Terrific (and entertaining) write-up.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 LTX M/S2, Ed's DC XP-270 w/Cable Upgrade, FICM w/atlas40, RAS, Hellwig, Red-Head, SGII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Upgraded HFCM drain plug, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, F350 Dually Y-code (FR Coil Springs), Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, EGRBrakes hoses, EBC Yellow stuff pads, XRF Ball joints, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Postmaster

KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.KRDiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
Do not forget to wipe up all of the blood! I always know if I did the job right If i made a blood sacrafice
K40 2000 Radar & Laser 48 Gal fuel tank-Pioneer AVIC-D3,3 amps,12' sub, DVD, TV in headrests
JOIN NEW MEXICO CHAPTER HERE!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Senior User

gmcbride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So, I know I am late to this thread, but hope someone can help educate me. Excellent write up. I have the turbo out and am replacing the up-pipe next. The problem is that there is a heat shield mounted to the y-pipe right where the up-pipe flange is located. I can get to the front bolts, but not the back? Does one really have to be a gymnast to get this done? Is there a better way? Thanks, gm.
'04 X 4x4 6.0L, 4" custom Donaldson BTM w/5" SS tip|Oilguard By-pass Filter|AirLift Bags|Radius Rods|FASS150|Fumuto|ZooDad|Accufab|SuperHitch|Blue Spring Update|Pro Comp 16x10's with 285/75x16 BFG's|ScangaugeII|Power Sunroof|Pioneer AVIC NAV/Backup Cam|DIY Coolant Filter|Bilsteins|Custom Badging|Hellwig rear sway bar|Custom 63.5mm Turbo|GlowShift 3 in 1 EGT gauge|SS Braided ESOF Lines|Moog Ball Joints.
'06 31' Cardinal
RKT, Trailair Equa-Flex.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
I was told the easiest way was to unhook at each exhaust manafold and pull the whole thing out and change the up pipes out of the vehicle
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM
A monkey banging cymbals

nmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant futurenmclella has a brilliant future
So, as everyone knows I'm not the handiest guy around, but I am trying to learn.

Is this too big of a job for me? Would I be better off just paying someone to do it? I want to learn but if this is getting a little serious maybe I should just go the safe route?

I printed these instructions:

http://www.mkmcustoms.com/instructions/instructions.pdf

Seemed quite detailed.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the deepest I have gone into the truck is the blue spring mod... I didn't find it hard but I know there is a lot more to do with the EGR delete... Should I attempt it?

Cheers,

Nate

Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Elder User

BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.BryanStein has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmclella View Post
So, as everyone knows I'm not the handiest guy around, but I am trying to learn.

Is this too big of a job for me? Would I be better off just paying someone to do it? I want to learn but if this is getting a little serious maybe I should just go the safe route?

I printed these instructions:

http://www.mkmcustoms.com/instructions/instructions.pdf

Seemed quite detailed.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the deepest I have gone into the truck is the blue spring mod... I didn't find it hard but I know there is a lot more to do with the EGR delete... Should I attempt it?

Cheers,

Nate
Go for it. It's not much more difficult than the blue spring mod.

I used a 30"x48" piece of plywood with a layer of carpet on it and supported one side oh the intake elbow and the other on my cattle guard bumper. I could nap on that thing.

The hardest part will be making sure the turbo inlets seal when reassembled. Just loosen both intakes at the exhaust manifolds, tighten down turbo and turbo intakes, and tighten down up pipes to exhaust manifolds last and it won't be a problem. Some gus don't have to go to that trouble. Some do.

Access the passenger up pipe to exhaust bolts by pulling theft tight front tire.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Postmaster

KDAVID1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KDAVID1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's not bad at all. Look at my recent write up it will show you some of the pit falls it only takes a few tools to get everything done. First time in will/could take a while but it should anyway since you should study and take your time. For reference first tear down to 20 hrs, took 5 hrs to put back together (most of it) took 2 hrs to tear down again, and 8 hrs to fully reassemble and start. It's easy enough it would be a waist of money to pay someone to do it imo.

2006 F350 4X4 Mishi 200° tstat, IPR EGR delete/up-pipe