1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Some people are rude. Anyone have a story they would to share

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people are rude. Anyone have a story they would to share

Guys, today I stoped at a house that had more then 20 old trucks in the yard.. Lett me go back in time for a min.. Growing up I sent a lot of time with my grandpa.. Well one of the roads we had too take too gett to his house.. We had to pass a house that had all these old trucks.. I made it a point back then .. That one day id stop n ask if. Any of them where for sale.. Well since growing up going off to college, girls n work I never did go and talk to the ower... Well today I did.. Since owning my 48 f1.. Ive been thinking id like too find a parts trucks and one that has a box for mine.. I rember that this guy had a few early f1s.. Soo today I stoped as I pulled up the drive way I could see old truck n cars all over the place.. Anyways I get out of my truck and go to knock on the frount door. I here hey u I look and see a guy out by his barn as I start walking his way he said no my trucks arnt for sale.. Never come back here. Again, make sure u tell your friends the same.. And also said some words I will not post (if u know what I mean).. he also told me as I was walking away I relly dont care about old cars n mine here can rot away for all I care... I just have never seen anyone be like that just because they asked... I mean this guy had some great old trucks.. That havr been in thr same place since I was 6 years old... Any of you guys delt with people like this

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
homepukes
Senior User
He sounds crazy and rude.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Every day of my life just about. No offense toward the smokers (God knows I've got plenty of my own bad habits) but I usually have to endure some smart *** speech about cigarettes and how they don't care what I say. That's usually when I say "As long as you keep puffing those things, I will always have a job." I'd say there's a good story behind why that guy hates the world.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Cody_1948
Tuned
Sorry guys I see I have some typeos im posting once again from my phone...

Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
I had my lab in my 51 ford this weekend and a man asked why i had a dog in a fine truck like that . I just looked at him and said cause he's alot better looking then you. LOL

Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cody_1948
Guys, today I stoped at a house that had more then 20 old trucks in the yard.. Lett me go back in time for a min.. Growing up I sent a lot of time with my grandpa.. Well one of the roads we had too take too gett to his house.. We had to pass a house that had all these old trucks.. I made it a point back then .. That one day id stop n ask if. Any of them where for sale.. Well since growing up going off to college, girls n work I never did go and talk to the ower... Well today I did.. Since owning my 48 f1.. Ive been thinking id like too find a parts trucks and one that has a box for mine.. I rember that this guy had a few early f1s.. Soo today I stoped as I pulled up the drive way I could see old truck n cars all over the place.. Anyways I get out of my truck and go to knock on the frount door. I here hey u I look and see a guy out by his barn as I start walking his way he said no my trucks arnt for sale.. Never come back here. Again, make sure u tell your friends the same.. And also said some words I will not post (if u know what I mean).. he also told me as I was walking away I relly dont care about old cars n mine here can rot away for all I care... I just have never seen anyone be like that just because they asked... I mean this guy had some great old trucks.. That havr been in thr same place since I was 6 years old... Any of you guys delt with people like this
Years ago I must have met his brother... Same kind of deal... I stopped to ask about an old truck that he had... and he almost killed me the said that I way he came at me... I appolijized and that I didn't mean no harm... I just loved old trucks and wanted to ask... He changed his tune alittle once his dog liked me and he showed me around... I never did buy anything from him, but did see his collection. He told me that everyday he gets a couple of people a day stopping and asking to buy one... or the ones that just stealing parts.... about 15 or 20 years ago he put up signs "CARS AND TRUCKS NOT FOR SALE".

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
billingslm1
Junior User
I bought my 55 f100 when i was 16, and up untill about a year ago, when ever i would talk to an older man about it, try to relate to him through the old trucks. none of them would take me seriously. they would just kinda nod there head and really not listen. Only recently do i notice older guys starting to listen and have a convo with me about the old trucks.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Many years ago after I had been getting This Old Truck magazine, now Vintage Truck, for a while there was an article about an electrical contractor in Canada celebrating their 50th year in business by buying and restoring a '49-50 Ford panel truck. The company's lead mechanic had a cousin who restored '48-52 Ford and Mercury trucks. The article was about the truck restorer and all of trucks he restored and sold and some he still had a large collection, one which was '48-50 Mercury tow truck. I called the guy a couple of days later just to ask about his Mercury trucks, during the phone conversation he seemed like a decent guy. About five years later I took my family on vacation into Canada and we would be passing by this guy's house. It wasn't right on our route, it was about an 1 1/2 hours out of the way but I wanted to see a Bonus Built ear Mercury which I had never seen in person. I called the guy to see if he'd be around that day and if I could look at a few of his trucks. He asked me what kind of truck I was looking for. I reminded him I called him a few years earlier after the magazine article came out and I was passing through on vacation and just wanted to stop by to look at his trucks, I didn't want to buy one. He told me to give him a couple of hours because he was in the middle of something but he'd be home all day. We drove the 1 1/2 hours to his city and sat in a park for more than 1/2 an hour to honor his request not to come by too early. Finally the time came and we went to find his house. We found it and I was amazed to see at least half a dozed restored Mercurys in his front yard, including the tow truck, and another dozen or so trucks lined up in a field across from his house. The first thing the guy said as I got out of my truck was, "Which truck are you interested in buying?". Again, I reminded him I was just stopping by to look at his collection. At that point he grunted, "I don't have time for tire kickers!" and abruptly turned around and stomped away. I asked if I could just look at some of his trucks, he stopped and grunted, "You can look at the trucks from the road, my insurance won't cover you on my property.", and continued walking back into his garage. I could understand his attitude if he was busy working and I just stopped by without notice and started pestering while he was trying to get work done but I clearly let him know what my intension's were when I called him. What an a$$.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
You never can tell what's going on in someone else's mind in situations like this...I try not to apply my own "rules" to judge why a person acts the way they do. What I have found is that some folks really just want to be left alone and don't really want others looking at their stuff...ever see that TV show about hoarders?

That said, I have also run into folks who WANT others to ogle their stuff and enjoy telling them that they can't have it for love nor money. There's an old guy in our truck club like this...he has a beautiful 40 Ford coupe in his barn that he will never get back on the road but he won't sell it either. I played his game for awhile and finally when I understood what was happening I just told him to write me into his will and when he is gone then he'll know that the car is in good hands. Until that time I won't talk to him about it again. He looked a little perplexed and then he just grinned.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Most of these guys will hold on to their stuff until they die. Then their kids will hold an auction, or worse yet, just call a scrapper in and have them haul the whole mess away so it's out of their hair. I really don't blame the relatives who have to deal with this kind of situation. I have experience with parents who were hoarders and when it came time, after years of trying to have them deal with the mess, we were just happy to have it all hauled away. Fortunately, or unfortunately, my parents were hoarders of junk and it wasn't too hard to rent a dumpster and pitch everything into to it. It's sad to see old iron sinking into the ground for years and then to see it all carted away one day but usually by then there isn't much left anyways.

It's also sad to think that these people spent their lives amassing this stuff to only let it rot away and in the end some one else gets the profit from it. I know if I ever reach the age I'm going to either give my stuff to people I know or sell it and spend the money on myself, most likely do the spending on myself thing. Unfortunately, for myself I don't really have all that much stuff of value.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
No need to be rude, but man I get tired of people wanting to "look around" at all my junk. I have a farm, and have lots of old stuff laying around....the lookyloo's usually show up uninvited and want a tour or generally waste my time. One guy I almost had to physically remove from my place....

Funny, most never ask if it's for sale....(some is)

Then there are the scrappers.....wanting iron, or batteries or whatever. They ask if I want to get rid of "that old junk truck" ? Sure, I say, for $2500 it's all yours!....and watch the look on their face.....priceless!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
We have a company here, I don't know if they're nationwide, called "Got Junk?". They will come to your location and clean out your yard, basement or attic and haul it away, I'm assuming for a fee. I can only imagine how much good "junk" they find while doing this service. I'd bet there are quite a few incidents where some old person, or a relative of a deceased person, just calls these types of establishments up and has them clean out a house, garage or yard. I would think a good percentage, maybe not a major percentage, of their income is reselling some of the "Junk".

As for the people with old cars and other items laying around their yards, with shows like American Pickers and others, there has to be a big rise in incidents of strangers wondering onto their property uninvited looking for hidden treasures. I personally might not mind it if it happens once in a while, and politely done. But if it becomes an irritant I'd post a sign stating whether or not my stuff is for sale. I'm not saying the property owner should have to do it but with the current TV shows encouraging this type of behavior I think it's become necessary.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Common courtesy should prevail. In this age of computors and phones and stuff all it takes is a guick polite call to see if you can trespass or tour someones collection. Up here were I live I would be very, very, careful if I were to trespass, there are a lot of guns up here.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Cody, I can understand your frame of mind and also the desire to share it, (good therapy) and there was someone who also had a similar post about a rude guy at a car show (can’t remember who).

I resisted my inclination to comment on the initial post but I have to share some ramblings with you from an old guy, there will always be dumb and rude people, with many more to come. This guy and the others don’t really care what you think, you might be able to change them but it I doubt it. Unfortunately the world doesn’t very often conform to our schedule.

The really only changeable variable in the equation is you, and it is all about how you handle things within yourself, if you had said to him (and the others) a heart felt “I’m sorry that you feel that way” and say in your mind, this is about my feelings of disappointment at the situation .....(you don’t have to like it, but accepting things helps)....but there will be many other opportunities to find parts or other car shows with nice people, I really is up to how you CHOOSE (a learnt thing) to react to negative crap.

Sorry, if I am out of line here.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the tinman it’s not because he doesn’t have a heart. There’s good reason why he lists his location as Podunk.

I live in a resort town; millions come through here to view the red rocks or stop on their way to the Grand Canyon. Countless people have stopped me in my yard to ask for directions or recommendations for restaurants. Some have asked about my plants; others have asked about my truck when it sits in the driveway. I have always been gracious.

However, many have thrown their litter out of their windows onto the street for me to pick up and dispose of. Others use my driveway for a convenient turn-around leaving black tire marks in the driveway. Over time politeness can turn to a loss of patience and in some, rudeness, due to the inconsideration of others. At some point, a man doesn’t care how he is perceived by others.

In closing, I don’t believe the “old, cynical, and cranky” member was out of line, for I am one too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some people are rude. Anyone have a story they would to share