D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I know. I'm just clowning around.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Got a shipping # from Mike I almost immediately had a scary thought. What if it gets somehow lost in the hurricane on its journey to my house? Wouldn't THAT just suck! I was singing that song from Sesame Street in my head "... thru, thru, thru. we'll get that mail thru." Come on, you guys know the one I'm talking about Its stuck in my head now.

So now I got the chrome turn signal bulbs and an SCT coming in the mail. I love getting presents in the mail- like a mini Christmas lol. Thanks Mike, stay safe in the storm coming

Old 08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
HAHAHA you obviously have kids! I do not, and while I should remember that song...my 4.5 years in college aid me in forgetting a lot prior to turning 18.

You'll get your tunes...they just might be a little wet and beaten up. Mike helped me pull 2* of timing out of my tune yesterday due to a little pre-detonation, and the truck is running much better today. Love that man's customer service. I was having a "bone head" moment sitting in my driveway on my lunch break trying to find the settings. Called Mike and he walked me right through it.

If anyone is following this thread, and thinking about getting Mike's tunes...he's running a Labor Day sale. I just got an email about it this morning.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you, Tim. I'll have to live vicariously through you and all the others who have tunes in their trucks. What did you get for chrome bulbs? Regular bulbs that look chrome when off or some type of LED?

Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 PM
pilot10
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
I was singing that song from Sesame Street in my head "... thru, thru, thru. we'll get that mail thru." Come on, you guys know the one I'm talking about Its stuck in my head now.
I checked a few of the Sesame Street lyrics but I can't the one you are referring to. Will this do in a pinch?

"Rubber Duckie, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Duckie, you're my very best friend, it's true!
Every day when I
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby"

Perhaps I need to get out more often...

Originally Posted by D8chumley
and an SCT coming in the mail. I love getting presents in the mail- like a mini Christmas lol. Thanks Mike
Pretty much what I said to Mike too- "Xmas in July"

By the way - I never had the 87 econo tune on long enough to really track mileage- it was very similar to the stock but the big plus was the new shifting and no throttle delay.

I've been running the 91 program all week and it's just plain fun. Additionally I seem to be getting slightly better mileage. Yesterday got home from work with the MPG meter @ 21.4. Normally that sits right around 20. Today I got to work and the meter read 22.4. It will certainly drop some at lunch but usually it is around 20-22 when I get to work. It is taking some recalibration of driving technique in commute traffic because the throttle is so much more sensitive I was ending up with a lot more braking running up on slower traffic.

I'm going to tow the new(to me) trailer tomorrow and will find out how it goes up hills with the new tune. With the stock program the engine was "working" when I towed the trailer home on mostly flats but with a headwind.

Pretty sure you're going to be really happy- It's not a supercharger or turbo but still it will make you smile and if you drive for mileage you could technically recoup the cost of the unit during the life of the truck. I spend like 5-7 grand per year on gas so if I get even 2% increase in MPG's I can save over $100/year and the units paid off by the time the truck is. This is the rationale I run by the wife to justify spending extra money... doesn't always work but sounds good.

Enjoy and let us know what you!

Tim

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
A great post capped off by this:

Originally Posted by pilot10
This is the rationale I run by the wife to justify spending extra money... doesn't always work but sounds good.
I too used the same reasoning, and she took the bait!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
This is the rationale I run by the wife to justify spending extra money... doesn't always work but sounds good.
I just bought it, and when I told her this morning she cocked a serious eyebrow at me. Then when I handed her $300 in cash towards a $389 purchase she was ok with it. Of course she wanted to know how I accumulated $300 so I embellished the truth a little, I told her I sold my old tuner. Technically its not a lie as I am selling it to my buddy he just hasn't gotten it yet

Good stuff you guys! Maybe it was " ...get that train through..." and maybe the train was carrying mail? IDK its been quite a few years. You get the point though lol. Brad, I will def keep you posted. Tim- thanks for the reviews. I will prob just run the 87 perf./tow 95% of the time unless I need to tow then I'll use the 91 perf./tow. He is having a Labor Day sale- X3 with 2 tunes for $389 and he was kind enough to give me the sale price a few days early. He IS the man! Hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag...

Old 08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
F TOO FITTY
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna be all over that sale; but my garbage disposal just broke. So my $ now has to go to a new disposal and some other water damages stuff. Dang it.

At least it brings me happiness hearing about you guys liking your tuners. Go ahead and lie to me. Tell me how it doubled the HP and still gets 40mpg. Humor me.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Originally Posted by F TOO FITTY
I was gonna be all over that sale; but my garbage disposal just broke. So my $ now has to go to a new disposal and some other water damages stuff. Dang it.

At least it brings me happiness hearing about you guys liking your tuners. Go ahead and lie to me. Tell me how it doubled the HP and still gets 40mpg. Humor me.
I wouldn't do that to ya brother. Sorry about your setback.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Tim is Mike making calibrations for your tire size? If so you should notice a huge improvement in the trans alone.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
I assume so, he asked me what size tires and any other mods. I wasn't sure but maybe the "enhanced" X3 is the same as the older one from the diesel in that I was able to adjust for different size tires myself in the tuner? Does the new one allow for some tinkering like that? Not that I would mess with shift points etc but the old X3 you could do that also. I have to check on the tracking # be right back
USPS says Mon. I'll be sitting by the mailbox Mon afternoon, if its still there after the hurricane! Everyone please be safe. I am sure living in the woods here I will lose power and phone/internet so I will have to rely on my Blackberry. Dang, its good to have options huh? haha

Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Hey Tim. Yes the X3 does allow for the user to change those options...tire size being one of them.
I just recently went in and backed out 2 degrees of timing based as directed by Mike since I was getting just the slightest bit of pre-detonation.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Cool thanks. On a side note I'm an idiot. I was outside this morning, prepping for the hurricane. I had to get the generator out of the basement and change the oil in it, so I figured while I'm running around putting patio furniture in the garage and tying up loose ends I would change the oil in the truck since it was due. I pulled the drain plug and went about other stuff. Came back, threw the plug in, swapped filters and filled with oil. Done and done I'm cleaning up and putting stuff away when I see it. My Fumoto valve, still sitting in the bag, on top of the new oil filters. Aaaaarrrrhgggghhhh! Oh well, another 5K and hopefully I remember it next time.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
HAHAHAHA those Fumotos are nice...if they are installed. Sounds like you have a nice little paperweight for the next 5k miles.
I love those "Dohhh" moments.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:57 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Thats exactly what I said too. A Homer Simpson Dooohhhhh!!! I actually thought about trying to switch it out quick and hope for minimal oil loss but I figured f-it I'll just wait. Gotta take another lap around the outside and make sure I didn't miss anything. I do need to get a case of beer when I go out in a bit
EDIT: Man, am I hijacking my own thread! I guess I'm allowed to do that if I started it right? haha

Quick Reply: SCT tuning ;-)