Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
If you can copy and paste the link, then add [img] and [/img] before and after the link, they should come up. Are your facebook pics large enough to see good?
There is a button above that looks like a picture of a mountain that is how you can add a pic to a post...

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Junior User

heavyhitter 460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'm going to try something./Users/robhardy/Desktop/GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpeg/Users/robhardy/Desktop/GetAttachment-2.aspx.jpeg/Users/robhardy/Desktop/GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpeg/Users/robhardy/Desktop/GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg
Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
If you decide to not convert to P-S, you can improve things by using stock rims,which were narrower than modern counterparts,and use skinny tires comparable to 50's sizes.

Also,in another current thread,a member went back to bias-ply tires.Mr4speedford says they would indeed be easier to steer with,but would tend to follow road imperfections more-so than radials.Also,they may cost more.A few guys on here really know their stuff on wheels/tires,and will no doubt chime-in.

Replacing your old king-pins and other worn steering components will also improve things.So will making sure that you've filled your steering box with grease,not oil.The earlier and later trucks require gear-oil,ours are spec'd for grease.You may be able to adjust the steering box somewhat,but too much can accelerate wear.

Still looking for that other company,from So-Cal, that has a P-S conversion for the 57-60 trucks.

Steve
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 08-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Junior User

yeah, that seemed too easy. i recently switched to mac and i'm never sure what i can and can't do.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Junior User

thanks steve. this is definitely not a stock truck and i'm going to keep going with the theme that the guy before me started. it came with a set of king pins, i think i'll just let my buddy that owns a shop change those and go through the steering and front end for now and see how it turns out. it's not like i'm going to put more than 30 or 40 miles a week on it. it's a fair weather weekend toy. i'd be scared to take it on a busy highway. it floats too much for that. as low as it sits i don't think i could correct that without an awful lot of time and money. i'm more than happy going red light to red light at this point.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Heavy,here's a link to the other P-S conversion kit for 57-60 trucks:

POWER STEERING STRAIGHT AXLE-No Limit Engineering

That would be what I'd use,since I could keep my original column,steering-box,and use it with a stock pump, unlike the other style.Retaining an old appearance is important to me,even if I do have to make some concessions for safetys' sake.

There have been a few threads discussing this kit,with some harsh criticism,some feeling it is inherently dangerous.However,both the owner of the company,as well as a member who has put many miles on his car with that particular conversion convinced me that is the one for me,if I ever do a conversion.

Note- Here's are a few past threads about it:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...le-report.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/86...power+steering
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Junior User

thanks, one of those keeps giving me page not found. honestly, i'm thinking i'll just go through the existing stuff and hope that new parts and a little attention improve it. i kind of like fighting the thing. i just don't like floating all over the place when i hit a bump. i'm thinking that new shocks on the front and trashing the air shocks on the back might smooth things out a little.
if you did install power steering why would you use this system over others?
i want to thank all you guys for the help so far. over the last few years i've had a few different projects and have found that a lot of forums are home to some jack asses. so far this has definitely not been the case here.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Here is a good tech article on it. There are some pictures in my gallery also. Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Junior User

thanks walston. do you have to brake with your left foot in a 60? i was surprised at how fast i got used to doing it.
after reading that i see i'm a "darksider". this truck had some serious modifications done by the last owner and i'm leaving them in place.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhitter 460 View Post
thanks walston. do you have to brake with your left foot in a 60? i was surprised at how fast i got used to doing it.
after reading that i see i'm a "darksider". this truck had some serious modifications done by the last owner and i'm leaving them in place.
I am not sure I fully understand your question. My left foot is busy pushing the clutch, so the right foot is pushing the brake.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 AM
Junior User

i have an automatic and the brake pedal is to the left of the steering column. my size 13 can't clear the column so i brake with my left foot. i'm thinking these are not the original pedal locations.
on another note, i know a guy that owns a front end shop. he had his guys go through it and told me to just keep it greased. after a little greasing it does steer a little easier or my shoulders have gotten stronger.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Posting Guru

Now I understand, sounds like someone used the clutch pedal for the brake when they put the automatic in. Good grease in the front end makes a huge difference. Hope you enjoy the 60, I do.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Junior User

i love it. i'm divorcing my 67 chevy for it.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure on the 60 parts since I've been working on a 52, but here are a few suppliers:

ibuzzard already sent you a link for CPP

If you know exactly what you want, Summit Racing and Jegs generally have quite a bit (they won't be able to help on the king-pins but if you go aftermarket, they have Ididit and Flaming River parts)

Sacramento Vintage Ford has been pretty helpful for me: Sacramento Vintage Ford Parts, Inc. • 888-Ford-100

Fatman Fabrications: ..::FatmanFabrications::..

National Parts Depot (for all of the stock stuff like badges, door locks seals ect.): National Part Depot

Blue Oval Truck Parts (I think this is the same as F-100 Central)....Larry C has been helpful and knowledgable: Blue Oval Truck Parts: Truck Parts, Truck Accessories, F-Series Trucks Parts, Ford Truck F250 Accessories

Dennis Carpenter: Vintage Ford truck parts for the F100,F150,F350 and Bronco by Dennis Carpenter Ford Restorations

Early Ford: Early Ford V8 Sales, Early Ford Parts, Classic Car Sales, Antique, Restoration, Cars, Trucks

Mar-K: MAR-K Classic Truck Parts made in Oklahoma City, USA

That ought to get you started!

Dan
Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Junior User

thanks dan.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks