Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (all engine sizes)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM
Senior User

mefast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conger View Post
I spoke to my service rep about these concerns and they reply was that it was news to them.

Besides myself, I know people in construction and oilsands work who punish these trucks and they seem hold up well.
I think the key to long life from the EcoBoost engines is to work them hard. Go around to any Ecoboosted vehicle and you'll notice carbon buildup on the tail pipes. Get the engine warm and step on it and it will almost look like a diesel with what comes out of the tailpipe.

The grocery getting vehicles will have problems, but the ones that have fun or tow often will be clean. So go beat on your vehicle! It's a Ford, it can take it!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:00 AM
New User

crhend is starting off with a positive reputation.
Basic design does resemble a diesel with forged crank and cross-bolted mains. For the carbon build-up, do what we used to call the "Italian Tune up" Get on the freeway, hammer down and work through the gears occasionally. Driving the kids to school and those short trips to the store are carbon builders in any engine.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Elder User

conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.conger is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhend View Post
Basic design does resemble a diesel with forged crank and cross-bolted mains. For the carbon build-up, do what we used to call the "Italian Tune up" Get on the freeway, hammer down and work through the gears occasionally. Driving the kids to school and those short trips to the store are carbon builders in any engine.
Hook it up to something heavy and drag it around town for a couple of hours. This motor likes hard work.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Junior User

Tigauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conger View Post
Hook it up to something heavy and drag it around town for a couple of hours. This motor likes hard work.
Ha you could hook it up to my 2007 with the POS 5.4 that needs replaced.
That should be enough weight.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Elder User

cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigauto View Post
The Eco boost has problems with carbon build up on valves, fords TSB. It also states that injector cleaning can not been done do to damage to turbos. Part of the reason is for rich mixture on start up. Under warranty for hesitation, misfire ford techs to check for carbon build up if located recommended to replace heads. So on Eco boost if you have or do de carbon flush say good by to your warranty. How in gods name can ford design a engine that can not be survived for carbon build up. Also from what I understand the 5.0 lt is nothing more the a 4.6 bored
The 5.0 is still a modular engine but it is a Ti-VCT 4 valve. That's a far cry from any 4.6 ever offered in an F150. What's the tsb for carbon on the valves? Last I talked to a field service engineer he told me the Ecoboost was not experiencing carbon buildup on the valves like DI engines from other manufacturers. Of course the BG rep told us all about how bad it was and they were gonna quit running after 60k miles if we didn't use their fuel system treatment through the air intake. I had heard that the rich mixture on start up was causing the black soot on the tail pipes that is so common on the eco boost trucks.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Junior User

Tigauto is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_13 View Post
The 5.0 is still a modular engine but it is a Ti-VCT 4 valve. That's a far cry from any 4.6 ever offered in an F150. What's the tsb for carbon on the valves? Last I talked to a field service engineer he told me the Ecoboost was not experiencing carbon buildup on the valves like DI engines from other manufacturers. Of course the BG rep told us all about how bad it was and they were gonna quit running after 60k miles if we didn't use their fuel system treatment through the air intake. I had heard that the rich mixture on start up was causing the black soot on the tail pipes that is so common on the eco boost trucks.
Well if you are getting black soot on the tail pipes that tells you what's going on in the combustion chamber. I don't have the TSB with me but there is information from a ford tech on you tube. This explains what is going on and the TSB explains repair. This information from ford under warranty is to replace heads. Combustion cleaner will over heat the turbos causing failure. If you read about the 5.0LT it explains ford is using the 4.6 block with modified heads.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigauto View Post
Well if you are getting black soot on the tail pipes that tells you what's going on in the combustion chamber. I don't have the TSB with me but there is information from a ford tech on you tube. This explains what is going on and the TSB explains repair. This information from ford under warranty is to replace heads. Combustion cleaner will over heat the turbos causing failure. If you read about the 5.0LT it explains ford is using the 4.6 block with modified heads.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...oboost+engines

This may be the thread that you are referring to. It's based on the 2.0L ecoboost, not the 3.5L.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
^^ The 3.5l will have those same issues. Same design, DI, EGR and etc. Working the motor hard is not going to cut it and eliminate the problem. Huge oversight on Fords part.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Elder User

cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.cb_13 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yes you are correct on the 5.0. Shares same block design as 4.6. I thought you were implying it was strictly a bored/stroked 4.6 which would be selling it extremely short as there's alot more technology to it than the 4.6. The surprise to me would be ford admitting to a problem with the 3.5 eb. They have alot riding on that engine and I'm sure they wanna keep its reputation as clean as possible. I will say that the only engine issues I ever seen personally from the ecoboosts were cac related. It was rare for one to come in with over 100k miles though.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Post Fiend

jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
I know we just came from an Audi 2.0L turbo with Direct injection and they were starting to have issues with carbon buildup....

VERY EXPENSIVE fix for them - and assume there will be the same issues here...
all gone:12 MVP Destiny 355RE 5er,12 F250 6.7 CCSB Grey Metallic Lariat w/ Ultimate Pkg,05 Ex 4x4 6L,03 Ex 4x4 6L,02 Ex 4x2 7.3L
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM