1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Dropping the pressures in the rear to 30 probably wouldn't hurt a thing, and could improve the ride even more. It's just a matter of playing with it and seeing how far you can go. Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure. I'd do it if it was me.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Dropping the pressures in the rear to 30 probably wouldn't hurt a thing, and could improve the ride even more. It's just a matter of playing with it and seeing how far you can go. Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure. I'd do it if it was me.
I plan to run them at 35 psi for a while and see how I like it. I really don't mind a little bounce, but I don't want to ride a Brahman bull (real or mechanical).

Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Better still

I recently replaced my king pins and bushings which corrected a great deal of the steering wander going down the road.

Yesterday I was again reading this thread with Chuck's (AXracer) great explanation:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-gauge.html

and decided to check my toe adjustment again. I didn't set it after the king pin replacement. I just didn't turn the tie rod while it was off.

Well, that was a mistake as I had about 1/2" of toe-out. I corrected the adjustment, repacked the tie rod end with grease, and took Betsy for a spin in the morning work traffic (ugh). It was one of the most pleasant drives so far, as the steering wheel now stays put (mostly). I still have a little slop so I'll have to check on the steering box, but what a pleasant surprise!

And I awoke at 5:00 thinking about this adjustment and my headlight adjustment, which I noticed the other night was way off. I have only rarely driven at night (twice) and saw as I was pulling up to my garage door that my right light was pointing about two feet higher than the left.

So, since it was still dark and still cool outside, I adjusted the headlights according to the Shop Manual (sort of).

It has been a really good day so far. I think I'll go to the shooting range. Maybe I'll drive Betsy there...

Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calif. pretty strict on gun laws like the North East of not?
TractormanBill

Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
Calif. pretty strict on gun laws like the North East of not?
TractormanBill
California is getting worse every day. They just approved another bill in the House yesterday without debate.

But I can still shoot at the local range without breaking any laws. I don't have a CCW permit and would probably never be able to get one in Riverside County. I keep hoping the law makers here will someday read the Constitution, but I'm starting to think I need to move or become a criminal by default.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Joe, Joe, Joe, You're going to have to slow down or you'll have nothing to do when you retire. How many days, hours, sec? When you get my way, we'll just walk out on the deck and shoot or shoot from the shop. All safe and legal.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
Joe, Joe, Joe, You're going to have to slow down or you'll have nothing to do when you retire. How many days, hours, sec? When you get my way, we'll just walk out on the deck and shoot or shoot from the shop. All safe and legal.
Sounds good Ray. I look forward to meeting you some day.

32 days, 775 hours, 46,535 minutes, 2,792,100 seconds.

But of those 32 days, I'll only be working 16, So that's my number now.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As most know Texas laws are pretty loose on guns but nobody drives around with gun racks in the rear window of their trucks anymore. Probably because they would get stolen!
I've had a CC permit for probably 15 years and have more guns than I can count.
TractormanBill

Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Heed Ray's advice, Joe! I made the same mistake, I even kept track of what I accomplished the first couple months I was retired. BIG mistake! Wrong attitude.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Joe congrats on your upcoming retirement. Only 16 more days thats awesome. More time to work on the truck! I'm glad to see you making more progress on Betsy! I would like to rebuilt the front end on my truck one day. I bought King pins a few years ago and recently have been looking at a set of tie rod ends for $22 on eBay. I probably should pick the pair up.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Hey Joe congrats on your upcoming retirement. Only 16 more days thats awesome. More time to work on the truck! I'm glad to see you making more progress on Betsy! I would like to rebuilt the front end on my truck one day. I bought King pins a few years ago and recently have been looking at a set of tie rod ends for $22 on eBay. I probably should pick the pair up.
Thanks Keith. Yes Betsy will be one of the things on my retirement plate.

I got my tie rod ends from RockAuto.com. I think they were $17.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
As most know Texas laws are pretty loose on guns but nobody drives around with gun racks in the rear window of their trucks anymore. Probably because they would get stolen!

TractormanBill
That's funny about the gun racks because I just bought one to put in my truck. My dad always had one in his 65 F100, and it's kinda nostalgic for me.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Heed Ray's advice, Joe! I made the same mistake, I even kept track of what I accomplished the first couple months I was retired. BIG mistake! Wrong attitude.
Yeah I hear you Ross. I started making up a Bucket List today of the things I would like to do since I will no longer be away from home every stinking week. They are things I've wanted to do for a long time but couldn't because I was gone.

I plan to enjoy retirement. I've been working for 50 years and 40 have been with the same company. It's time to do what I feel like doing instead of what I have to do.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
A nap after lunch is a prerequisite, BTW...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
A nap after lunch is a prerequisite, BTW...
You talked me into it...

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project