1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Joe ,I haven't tried it in my truck but maybe some Velcro might work. If you got a spot to stick one side of it to. Your dash looks pretty nice,don't know if I'd put a sticky thing on the nice paint. Perhaps you can find a good spot somewhere, the cords are kinda short so that sorta limits your otions. Don't want it falling off and dragging your phone down with it.P.S. congrats on your 3000th post. Someday I shall reach such a milestone too.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Joe

Congrats on your recent progress. My generator was converted to 12volt many years ago and works fine but I would like to convert it to an alternator. They sell alternators that fit in the generator cases. Did you ever consider doing that?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by toby tough
Hey Joe ,I haven't tried it in my truck but maybe some Velcro might work. If you got a spot to stick one side of it to. Your dash looks pretty nice,don't know if I'd put a sticky thing on the nice paint. Perhaps you can find a good spot somewhere, the cords are kinda short so that sorta limits your otions. Don't want it falling off and dragging your phone down with it.P.S. congrats on your 3000th post. Someday I shall reach such a milestone too.
Thanks Toby. I was wondering if the magnetic base on the speakers would be powerful enough to hold the speakers in place during my bouncy rides. Guess I'll have to give it a shot.

Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Hey Joe

Congrats on your recent progress. My generator was converted to 12volt many years ago and works fine but I would like to convert it to an alternator. They sell alternators that fit in the generator cases. Did you ever consider doing that?
Keith, I've read on here about the generator/alternator swap. I'm still running 6 volt positive ground, but if I ever decide to switch to 12 volts, I'll put an alternator on it. Since my generator isn't an original '51, but (I think) from a '55, it would make no sense to convert it to an alternator.

I found that after cleaning up the commutator in my generator I'm showing a higher level of charge on my ammeter. I haven't checked the actual voltage with a meter yet. Guess I should do that.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I found that after cleaning up the commutator in my generator I'm showing a higher level of charge on my ammeter. I haven't checked the actual voltage with a meter yet. Guess I should do that.
So I checked the voltage today, and the generator is putting out between 7.2 to 7.3 volts. The battery is staying nicely charged.

I took one of my dogs for a ride today. He loves going for rides...

Name:  Riley's first ride.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  55.3 KB

Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,840 Likes on 1,839 Posts
That's good news!

Great looking dog, the driver on the other hand..........

....just kidding

Bobby

Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
All in a day of pulling stumps...

I posted this in the Working Ford Trucks Only thread, but I want to put it here too.

I've heard that granny first gears are for heavy loads and pulling stumps. I have no heavy loads for her, but Betsy can pull a tree stump!

Of course, I should have realized I'd break out the planter, but I'm not that upset by the extra work. I had a lot of fun pulling this stump! It was a "dwarf" kumquat tree that was 20 feet tall and dropped fruit on the driveway daily for half of every year. I got tired of cleaning up the squashed fruit (I don't like kumquats) and my wife was tired of hearing me bitch about it.

I didn't have a chain, so I tried using my tow strap. It broke the first time I tried, so I tied a bowline knot around the stump, and out it came, sprinkler lines and all.

Here's a link to the video. Have fun guys!

"OH! Well, there goes the planter"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201921716314419

Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
50trucking
Junior User
I am looking for information on swapping out my Dana 41 to a Dana 44 in a 1950 Ford F-1.

The truck has the original 8BA Flathead and 3 speed transmission. The Dana 41 has a 3.92 ratio rear end. The truck has 15" wheels. At 2500 RPM. its going 50 MPH in high gear.I found out that a 1957 thru 1972 F100 rear was the right width and would work with a few problems.

I called around to many junk yards in my home state of Georgia and asked if they had a dropuot rear end for a 57 to 72 F100 and all answers were no except one. It happens to be in my home town of Peachtree City. They want $250.00. I asked what the ratio was and he said it was a 3.25. I am now unsure if the 3.25 will be too high given what some people have said. I did check my tires and they are 88" around or 28" across. I guess the 28" is the number I need to use. of course third is direct.

I would appreciate more feedback on the 3.25 ratio before I pull the trigger on the purchase. I did check on Dana 41's and no one has one either junkyard or specialty drive train house has a 3.72 gear for a Dana 41

That brings me to the other delima. I will ask the junkyard to save the spring shackle bolts and the emergency brake cables but I understand the shock perches are different. The are smaller on the Dana 41 but the quesion if I get the shock perches off the Dana 44 which is still in the truck will they work with my 1950 F1 truck? Also I have heard that the drive line on my truck will be one inch to short. If I get the drive line out of the donor truck will it work?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Hello 50trucking. And welcome to FTE!

I'm unable to answer any of your questions. I have a stock F4 and have never swapped a rear end in an F1.

My advice to you is to start a new thread with part of your question in the title so folks on here that do know the answers can help you. There are a lot of those folks on here... I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

Now that I've given my disclaimer, I think I've read some recent posts advising that a 3.50 is about right for a stock flathead. The 3.25 might give problems starting off in first gear on an incline, though it would surely yield a better top end speed.

But again, start a new thread and ask the pros. And good luck on your swap.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Hey Joe, great video. I love seeing Betsy putting the low gears to use.
You're wife is too nice. You are retiring soon, you could have worked a few minutes each day after you retire. It would have been good exercise for you. Of course then you couldn't say that Betsy is actively pulling stumps.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Hello 50trucking. And welcome to FTE!

I'm unable to answer any of your questions. I have a stock F4 and have never swapped a rear end in an F1.

My advice to you is to start a new thread with part of your question in the title so folks on here that do know the answers can help you. There are a lot of those folks on here... I'm just not one of them. Sorry.

Now that I've given my disclaimer, I think I've read some recent posts advising that a 3.50 is about right for a stock flathead. The 3.25 might give problems starting off in first gear on an incline, though it would surely yield a better top end speed.

But again, start a new thread and ask the pros. And good luck on your swap.
He has a thread with all the exact same info in it from yesterday as well as another one he posted in first, so that makes three.
50trucking.....we are a pretty tight knit group here and most all of us read all the threads. There's no need to post the same stuff in the different threads. It just causes confusion and irritability. You've gotten some good advice in your main thread. My advice is keep your info on this topic in that thread. Just my advice from what I see....you do what you want.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM
50trucking
Junior User
sorry about that, I haven't learned how to maneuver around yet and I am despirate to find out what I need to do. I will start a new thread as Jolly Roger said but that will be a third post, not sure what to do.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
50trucking
Junior User
Wayne , I do have more questions in the latest post if you read it. I need to know about the shock mounts and the drive shaft

Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Hey Joe, great video. I love seeing Betsy putting the low gears to use.
You're wife is too nice. You are retiring soon, you could have worked a few minutes each day after you retire. It would have been good exercise for you. Of course then you couldn't say that Betsy is actively pulling stumps.
True, but I'm pretty sure nobody would want to see a video of me using a shovel and an axe.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, but I'm pretty sure nobody would want to see a video of me using a shovel and an axe.
I still say you need a silhouette of a tree stump on the side of the hood like a WWII aircraft nose.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by speedyweasel
I still say you need a silhouette of a tree stump on the side of the hood like a WWII aircraft nose.
Maybe I should have a decal made...

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project