1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Running again!

I got the generator installed today. I did not have to polarize it. I also forgot to take pics of it while disassembled after I cleaned it up.

And, of course, I scratched the paint putting it back in.

Here's a few after shots:

Name:  Generator  14.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  Generator  15.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  Generator  16.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  122.7 KB

Here's a video that shows how it wobbled before (technical term). It looks like the belt is actually jumping...

New Fan Video by JollyRogerJoe | Photobucket

And here's how it looks now.

Generator Rebuilt Video by JollyRogerJoe | Photobucket

Old 06-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Was it something I said?

Kind of surprised no one has commented on my before and after videos after the generator went back in.

I mean, come on guys... it's a video.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It appears to be the same video, twice? I can't see a difference??

Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Ray, have you driven Blue yet? Just wondering how much different the ride is with these shocks compared to normal.

Or are you doing this to Blue because Missy Green rides better?
OK, Joe, we'll go back in your thread a slight bit but on topic.
I would estimate I've driven [B]Blue[/B] well over a thousand miles total, several hundred at interstate legal speeds. I am extremely satisfied with the way she rides, drives stops and handles. Remember, no PS or PB.
I am running 225/70 R19.5s on the front and LT235/85 R16s on the rear, just about equal height. I've experimented with tire pressures while driving at lower speeds and am down to running 40 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rears. On the fronts, I've painted stripes across the tire and seem to be getting equal deterioration of the paint across the ribs. There is no squirm or mushy feeling. On the rears, I am down to 35 psi and the tires are still riding on the center three ribs. I may try going down to 30 psi on the rear and see what happens, if it will come down and ride on all five ribs. None of the tires are running hot. When I reduced the pressures in the tires it got rid of the bone jarring rough ride.
There are no vibrations from the front end, even at road speed. I attribute this to a total rebuild, a good balance job and the installation of shocks.
I would guess there will be naysayers who will say I am crazy for running such low pressures. Of course, I would never attempt to run these pressures and haul any load. Did I say I am pleased with the way she drives M. G. may still ride softer.
I doubt if the shocks make any significant difference at 45 mph or slower.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Joe I just watched both of your videos and I could tell the difference. Especially the after shot from the good side. Good job.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
LOL, I downloaded the same vid twice. Now I see the difference, much smoother!

Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
OK, Joe, we'll go back in your thread a slight bit but on topic.
I would estimate I've driven [B]Blue[/b] well over a thousand miles total, several hundred at interstate legal speeds. I am extremely satisfied with the way she rides, drives stops and handles. Remember, no PS or PB.
I am running 225/70 R19.5s on the front and LT235/85 R16s on the rear, just about equal height. I've experimented with tire pressures while driving at lower speeds and am down to running 40 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rears. On the fronts, I've painted stripes across the tire and seem to be getting equal deterioration of the paint across the ribs. There is no squirm or mushy feeling. On the rears, I am down to 35 psi and the tires are still riding on the center three ribs. I may try going down to 30 psi on the rear and see what happens, if it will come down and ride on all five ribs. None of the tires are running hot. When I reduced the pressures in the tires it got rid of the bone jarring rough ride.
There are no vibrations from the front end, even at road speed. I attribute this to a total rebuild, a good balance job and the installation of shocks.
I would guess there will be naysayers who will say I am crazy for running such low pressures. Of course, I would never attempt to run these pressures and haul any load. Did I say I am pleased with the way she drives M. G. may still ride softer.
I doubt if the shocks make any significant difference at 45 mph or slower.
Thanks for the follow up Ray. I'm going to try lowering the tire pressure more to see if the bouncing is reduced.

And I never thought about the painted stripe to see if they're riding flat.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by toby tough
Well Joe I just watched both of your videos and I could tell the difference. Especially the after shot from the good side. Good job.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
LOL, I downloaded the same vid twice. Now I see the difference, much smoother!

One of the reasons I wanted you guys to see the smooth generator operation is so you can check out the mounting bracket, which I think is different from every other 226 mount I've seen. I don't have the big "clamp" mount like what's shown in the parts book. And the adjustment bracket on top works, but is attached from the back instead of the front, which is where it should be bolted.

So back to what was said earlier, I think this is a later generator that was retrofitted to my engine.

What do you guys with 6 cylinder trucks think?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice job on the rebuild Joe!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Marauder2004
Nice job on the rebuild Joe!

Thanks Marauder.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Phone mount

I have been driving Betsy with my phone sitting in the ashtray running the app "Android Speedometer" so I have an idea how slow I'm going (notice I didn't say how "fast"). My speedometer is way off, so when I'm doing 35, my speedometer says I'm doing 20...

Anyway, for Fathers Day my daughter got me a Nite Ize Steelie which I stuck in the middle of the dash. The mount location allows me to see the phone display easily and plug into the power socket (thanks again Bob) without having the cord interfere with anything (like the shifter).

And since I uploaded all my iTunes to the Google cloud, I can use my phone as a speedometer AND a sound system.

Here's a few pics...

The steel mount stuck to the dash
Name:  NiteIze 1.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  101.1 KB

The phone has a very strong, small, concave magnet stuck on the back. The concave shape allows it to be positioned anywhere on the steel ball.
Name:  NiteIze 2.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  127.0 KB

This blurry shot shows the power cord plugged in.
Name:  NiteIze 3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  78.9 KB

And the view from the driver's seat. I'm going really slowly inside my garage...
Name:  NiteIze 4.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  144.1 KB

I also have some portable speakers which I will try later to enhance the music from the phone.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Joe,I got a little round speaker from Wallyworld for about 20 bucks that I use for my laptop.You could get one and have some good sound from it. You can get a cord to fit your phone .It has it's own rechargeable battery too. I think it's a IHOME model ihm 59. Don't mean to be knockin' yours but this one is pretty good.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Hey Joe,I got a little round speaker from Wallyworld for about 20 bucks that I use for my laptop.You could get one and have some good sound from it. You can get a cord to fit your phone .It has it's own rechargeable battery too. I think it's a IHOME model ihm 59. Don't mean to be knockin' yours but this one is pretty good.
Yeah Toby, that's a great idea!

That's what I already have hooked to my laptop, and what I mentioned earlier when I said "I also have some portable speakers which I will try later to enhance the music from the phone."

I tried them with my phone here in the house, and the music sounded just like it was coming off my computer.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver

Hey, have you tried these in your truck? I know they have magnetic bases, but I don't yet know if those are strong enough to hold it on the dash.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
So, I guess I'm just not really watching any more...

Well, I blew right by my 3,000th post without even noticing.

Maybe that's a good thing?

Of course, 685 of them have been in this thread. What a blabbermouth...

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project