1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I was only joking. What you have is absolutely fine and actually preferred.
Yes, I knew you were joking. And I was too. I wouldn't put a different engine in it even if I could afford it. And the flip front end looks fine on a F100, but I don't know that it would look so good on a 1 ton. But then, I haven't seen one.

It probably won't look "stock" when I'm done, but the average viewer won't know that. Just you guys on FTE...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Spindle connecting rod question

I noticed recently that my front wheels are not pointed in the same direction: when the steering wheel is straight, the left wheel is also, but the right wheel is pointed to the right.

I checked the Shop Manual (my new truck Bible) and see a picture of the F4 Steering Gear and Connections on page 203 in Fig 14. That Spindle Connecting Rod is straight. Mine is bowed significantly toward the front.

Can a bowed spindle connecting rod be straightened?

This head-on picture shows how far the right wheel is pointing right. The left wheel is straight.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
yes, you can straiten them.. I had a friend that had a old Hotrod shop in the seventies straiten mine back then and never had a problem with it afterwards. Just remember there are right and wrong ways of doing everything.... to straiten out your wheels for now can you adjust both tie rod ends to fix it?

Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Just remember there are right and wrong ways of doing everything.... to straiten out your wheels for now can you adjust both tie rod ends to fix it?
I don't know if there's that much adjustment to the tie rod ends. I estimate the bow in the connecting rod is maybe 2 1/2 to 3 inches. It's really bent, which is hard to figure, since an impact to a wheel which would cause that much bend should have destroyed other parts before bending that rod. At least that's what I would think.

I bet it happened when the guy towed it to my house. I didn't see where he hooked up to lift the truck, but that makes more sense than an impact to a wheel.

Here's a pic.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Try one of those toilet paper filters?

I'm sorry I can't help,but let me bump this for you

I can see right now that this is going to go on for years!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That bar there is called a "tie rod". The pieces on either ends are just called "tie rod ends" ... technical, i know... I don't know much about the availability for the big trucks (or if they are much different) but mid-fifty makes a new beefed up one for the F100s. I have a feeling your stocker is probably much beefier than a stock F100 tie rod. Otherwise, sure that can be straightened too, and probably be fine until you felt the need to replace it.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
You didn't say it's a boomerang! mine wasn't that quite that bad but close...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,390 Posts
A hugely bent tie rod like that will definitely explain your toe out problem. That really should be replaced. And it is a different piece than the one used on the half tons. If you can't find a replacement locally, let me know. I have one available.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
A hugely bent tie rod like that will definitely explain your toe out problem. That really should be replaced. And it is a different piece than the one used on the half tons. If you can't find a replacement locally, let me know. I have one available.
Thanks Wayne. I'll keep that in mind when I'm closer to driving this truck. It's still a long way from that day, but I will need to fix the steering before I drive it. Luckily, the steering gear isn't sloppy.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dano78
That bar there is called a "tie rod". The pieces on either ends are just called "tie rod ends" ... technical, i know...
Yeah, I've always called that a tie rod, but in the Shop Manual it's called a Spindle Connecting Rod. So I called it that so I wouldn't be corrected.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it really? LOL-Thats funny! I bet it has been called a few different names over the years and from other manufacturers. Never heard 'Spindle Connecting Rod' before.... sounds so technical See... learned something new today!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dano78
Does it really? LOL-Thats funny! I bet it has been called a few different names over the years and from other manufacturers. Never heard 'Spindle Connecting Rod' before.... sounds so technical See... learned something new today!
Actually, it's called both the Spindle Connecting Rod and the Spindle Connecting Rod Tube. But nowhere can I find the term Tie Rod in the manual. The pictures in the book aren't that great, but it looks like the F7 and F8 have a "tie rod" and the F1 - F6 have the "tube".

And since it IS a tube on the F4, I can sort of see how it would bend. If it were a piece of bar like on the F7 & F8 with threads on both ends, it should take a lot more force to bend it.

I checked out some photos my son took of the truck before it got towed to my house. The tie rod was already bent, so who knows when it happened.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Does Charlie still live with you guys?Maybe he can help you straighten it out.

When will you guys be firing your next rocket?We'd love to see a video of it.It's an expensive hobby,I couldn't afford rocketry plus an old truck.

I admire you,this being,as you said,your first "old vehicle".You've really learned so much in such a short time on old Ford trucks,and flatheads, old Widow-maker wheels,serviceable substitutes,etc.Do you mind telling us what you do for a living?

Steve

Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Do you mind telling us what you do for a living?

Steve
I thought I read somewhere that he was in the used car sales business.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Blood in the water... sharks circling...

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project