Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm with Ross...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Awesome!! My next suggestion would have been for you to tell you wife how difficult it was, then have her go to the garage and watch you do it. The clips would almost fall into place with her watching. Betsy would do that to you just so see your wife give you "that look" and walk off shaking her head.
She offered to help me if I needed it. But I hadn't yet figured out how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Reps to Harrier! Found the key, he did!
Yes, he gets my vote also!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Lookin good! Just don't get her so shiny you are afraid to drive her.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I guarantee that now you'll want to touch up the hood paint, and will have to remove them...
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm with Ross...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Lookin good! Just don't get her so shiny you are afraid to drive her.
Betsy won't be shiny for some time yet, but a little hood bling is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I guarantee that now you'll want to touch up the hood paint, and will have to remove them...
I will be pulling it all off again whenever I get around to painting her... if ever.

Paint is in my future plans, but I've already put a lot more money into this truck than I thought I would at this point in the game. So, I'm kinda revising my original plan. Again. It's a never ending story.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Nice!!!
A little trim makes a huge difference

Looks great!
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 08-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Looks good. Now slide the main molding all the way into the new pointed molding. That molding is grooved for the middle molding to fit inside.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm with Ross...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Looks good. Now slide the main molding all the way into the new pointed molding. That molding is grooved for the middle molding to fit inside.

Thanks Ilya. I wasn't sure how far it was supposed to go.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm with Ross...

What's your time worth? Who cares, it's a hobby...

I couldn't use the same method on the passenger side of the hood to install the trim. The pieces are original (spelled "old and bent") and I couldn't slide them on. So, figuring the clips are the wrong ones for 51-52 trim and must be for 48-50 trim, I had to rethink the process.

I figured since I couldn't just pop them on, I would coax them on with a small pair of vice grips on the inside of the hood. This worked remarkably well.

I had the trim on in about 15 minutes. I started thinking about the time I have invested in the truck so far. She's safe to drive but a long way from being "finished". I went back to my speadsheet where I track my work. Here's the list for anyone interested.
Name:  Betsy list.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  128.5 KB

Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Joe, if hadn't been working on your truck, what would you have been doing with that time and money? And would you have enjoyed it as much or less? Any regrets?
Just curious....
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm with Ross...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
Joe, if hadn't been working on your truck, what would you have been doing with that time and money? And would you have enjoyed it as much or less? Any regrets?
Just curious....
Scott, anything I would have been doing with that time and money would not have been nearly as much fun or as rewarding. I really didn't know anything about this truck when I bought it. I had never heard of widow maker wheels, didn't realize how much fun I'd have learning to drive a crash box, never seen a drum park brake, or rebuilt a transmission. I had never attempted to rewire a vehicle from scratch or rebuilt a carburetor and had it run right. I admit I've learned some things the hard way, but it's all good. And I have FTE to thank for my successes.

My other hobby is High Power Rocketry, but I haven't flown a rocket in over 5 years now. I'm retiring in 7 weeks, and was discussing rockets again with one of my friends last night. It can be a very expensive hobby, but doesn't have to be if you fly the smaller motors.

I have no regrets with Betsy. I sometimes wish I had her finished already, but in one of my first posts in this thread I mentioned that my wife said this project would probably take me ten years to complete. She's usually right. And it's only been three years so far. I think all the "little" things are done now, and just the big ticket items remain. So I can drive Betsy until I have the money to do one of the big things.

I've driven her in two parades and may make it to next year's F100 Western Nationals in Anaheim. I won't be entering the competition, but it would be fun to drive her there.

So that's certainly a long-winded answer to a simple question, but I am listed as a blabbermouth.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Strap some big ol' honkin' rockets to the bed rails and let 'er rip! Two hobbies in one!

I used to be a licensed pyro. Some day I'll tell you the story of the day we "properly disposed of" drums filled with trimmings from a professional silicone-based rocket engine factory as they cleaned up to prepare for their site clearance inspection. But that story will never be "on record!!"
Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm with Ross...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Strap some big ol' honkin' rockets to the bed rails and let 'er rip! Two hobbies in one!

I used to be a licensed pyro. Some day I'll tell you the story of the day we "properly disposed of" drums filled with trimmings from a professional silicone-based rocket engine factory as they cleaned up to prepare for their site clearance inspection. But that story will never be "on record!!"

Like this one?

rocket powered trucks - Yahoo Search Results

I'd like to hear your story about disposal of the drums.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm with Ross...

Well DUH!

If you've followed this thread (for 3 years) you know I have been bouncing down the road for a while now. I accept the fact that Betsy is going to bounce because of the stiff suspension and no load.

But many, many months ago, I reported that I had lowered the tire pressure and was still being jolted by normal, every day bumps in the road.

I installed some of these tire valve extensions and rechecked my tire pressure.

Click the image to open in full size.

Where I thought I had set them all to 40 psi, I had the fronts set at 50 and the rears all set to 45. So I lowered them all to 40 psi and went for a test drive today.

Betsy still bounces on every little bump, but at least it's no longer jarring.

So my question is this: Can I go down to 35 psi without hurting anything? I have 8R19.5 on the front and 225/70 R19.5 on the rear. With no extra weight on the truck, would 35 psi damage the tires? Maybe I should just try that on the front since the rears might "bulge" and hit each other? There's a pretty big gap between the rear tires.

What do you think?

Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would drop them to 30 or 35 and see if you can even see the difference in the inner bulge between the rear duals (I doubt you would see a difference). Then maybe throw some static weight in the back to see the effects. Obviously won't show what happens when road irregularities are encountered, but will give you a baseline. A quick trip around the neighborhood wouldn't hurt anything to see.

I am sure some more knowledgeable tire guys will chime in though.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Elder User

Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Rimrock F1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
This may help. It is a pressure chart based on tire size (light truck) and weight. May get you in the ballpark.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Here is a PDF from Toyo that shows the load capacity of all sizes of tires based on load index (shows how to get this) and tire pressure. Has passenger car as well as light truck.
http://toyotires.com/sites/default/f...-LT_102913.pdf
2013 Taurus (Ginger)
Old 08-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire