Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
I still say you need a silhouette of a tree stump on the side of the hood like a WWII aircraft nose.
Maybe I should have a decal made...

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
I still say you need a silhouette of a tree stump on the side of the hood like a WWII aircraft nose.

Something like this?

Name:  tree-stump.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  174.4 KB

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior User

speedyweasel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yep. A lot like that.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Repeat offender...

So I posted this in my thread about "What's missing from my accelerator linkage" but I want to record it here as well. If you already saw it in the other thread, I apologize for wasting your time.

Betsy came to me without a gas pedal. (sounds like the opening of a dime novel). Anyway, I didn't know what the gas pedal linkage was supposed to look like, and the diagram in the Parts Catalog was pretty small. But others on here straightened me out, and Ray (raytasch) actually sent me the needed parts to correct it. You rock Ray!

The existing broken spring was packed with dirt, so it didn't resemble a spring to me. But I sprayed some WD-40 on it and cleaned it up enough to find an end to pull on. So Out with the old and in with the new. The pedal's far enough off the floor to put a new boot on it now.

Here are the before and after pics...

Name:  Gas pedal 2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  Gas pedal 4.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  Gas pedal 1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  Gas pedal 3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  157.3 KB

Learning something new about this truck every day...

And I took her out for a drive today with my new dog Riley riding shotgun... No pics, my hands were full.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I assume now you have about another half of the throttle to lay down some rubber, eh?! You'll be surprised how much noise the boot will eliminate!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I assume now you have about another half of the throttle to lay down some rubber, eh?! You'll be surprised how much noise the boot will eliminate!
Yeah, I'm looking for more tree stumps to pull with all that extra pedal! Too bad they closed down the local drag strip...

Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Looking for suggestions

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to repair the "cardboard" firewall cover in my truck? I realize it's 63 years old and probably rotting. But do I have to replace the whole thing or can it be repaired somehow?

This is the only section that's damaged. I'm wondering if the stock rubber floor mat will cover this area...

EDIT: OK, I looked through all eight of my catalogs, and none of them show the original firewall cover I've got. Everything is fiberglass or ABS. I also looked at the online catalogs and included Chuck's Trucks with the same results. So I guess no one sells the original...

Name:  Gas pedal 4.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  157.2 KB

Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Classic Haulers rocks!

I ordered the hood trim points from Classic Haulers for Fathers Day. They were back-ordered for over a month, but finally arrived yesterday. Candi was very helpful filling the back-order.

No other place I get parts has a personalized, hand-written "thank you" on the invoice.

And then there's the Tootsie Rolls...

Name:  Tootsie Rolls.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  82.2 KB

I didn't have any bolts short enough to mount them to the hood, so I made some. Much easier to make them shorter than to make them longer.

Name:  Hood points 1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  177.8 KB

They look good even on my crummy paint job.

Name:  Hood points 3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  96.0 KB

Now if I could just figure out how to get the other ss strips mounted, I'd be doing good. I have the correct pieces and mounting clips, but I can't get them on. The clips won't pop through the holes.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Those look sharp, Joe!
For the other strips, are you holding you tongue in the left side or right side of your mouth?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Those look sharp, Joe!
For the other strips, are you holding you tongue in the left side or right side of your mouth?
Pretty sure it was the left side while working on the drivers side and the right side while working on the passenger side.

Do I have that backwards?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Just don't grind your teeth when you crank on a torque wrench!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Those look sharp, Joe!
You were right. I wasn't holding my mouth just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Just don't grind your teeth when you crank on a torque wrench!
I stopped grinding my teeth! It worked!

Thanks guys! Once again, FTE comes through!

Name:  Hood trim 3.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  93.8 KB

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Awesome!! My next suggestion would have been for you to tell you wife how difficult it was, then have her go to the garage and watch you do it. The clips would almost fall into place with her watching. Betsy would do that to you just so see your wife give you "that look" and walk off shaking her head.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Reps to Harrier! Found the key, he did!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Actually, my son came over and helped me with part of the installation. But it was not going well, so we quit. He had the idea that if the clips were installed first and we could loosen them, we could slide the trim over them into place. But we couldn't make them loose enough to slide the trim freely.

Then I improvised using his idea and some cable ties. That loosened up the clips enough to slide on the trim.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 PM