Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Now that I look more at the pictures of your generator, I think the whole generator is 1955. The back of the armature is smaller diameter to fit into the rear bearing; armatures going into bushings are larger diameter. The front and back plates include mounting ears. Originally H six cylinders used the same generator as the 8BA V8s. There was a separate bracket with a strap that held the original generator. Check out page 139 of the illustration section of the 48-56 Ford Truck Parts book (page 974 in the PDF). You can see the bracket and generator in this picture I found on Photobucket:
Interesting observation. I, too, thought the only difference in the generator could not possibly be just the back plate because the OD of the rear of the armature has to match the size of the bearing, or bushing. In the stock generator for 51, the rear bushing supports the armature. In my generator, the rear of the armature is supported by a bearing. After I discovered I have a later model rear plate with different brushes and a bearing instead of a bushing, I wondered if the generator was original. So what you say makes sense. I do not have a "mounting" band around my generator. But I have three bolts to secure it to the engine.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 06-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Running again!

I got the generator installed today. I did not have to polarize it. I also forgot to take pics of it while disassembled after I cleaned it up.

And, of course, I scratched the paint putting it back in.

Here's a few after shots:

Name:  Generator  14.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  Generator  15.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  Generator  16.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  122.7 KB

Here's a video that shows how it wobbled before (technical term). It looks like the belt is actually jumping...

New Fan Video by JollyRogerJoe | Photobucket

And here's how it looks now.

Generator Rebuilt Video by JollyRogerJoe | Photobucket

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Was it something I said?

Kind of surprised no one has commented on my before and after videos after the generator went back in.

I mean, come on guys... it's a video.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
It appears to be the same video, twice? I can't see a difference??
Old 06-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Ray, have you driven Blue yet? Just wondering how much different the ride is with these shocks compared to normal.

Or are you doing this to Blue because Missy Green rides better?
OK, Joe, we'll go back in your thread a slight bit but on topic.
I would estimate I've driven [B]Blue[/B] well over a thousand miles total, several hundred at interstate legal speeds. I am extremely satisfied with the way she rides, drives stops and handles. Remember, no PS or PB.
I am running 225/70 R19.5s on the front and LT235/85 R16s on the rear, just about equal height. I've experimented with tire pressures while driving at lower speeds and am down to running 40 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rears. On the fronts, I've painted stripes across the tire and seem to be getting equal deterioration of the paint across the ribs. There is no squirm or mushy feeling. On the rears, I am down to 35 psi and the tires are still riding on the center three ribs. I may try going down to 30 psi on the rear and see what happens, if it will come down and ride on all five ribs. None of the tires are running hot. When I reduced the pressures in the tires it got rid of the bone jarring rough ride.
There are no vibrations from the front end, even at road speed. I attribute this to a total rebuild, a good balance job and the installation of shocks.
I would guess there will be naysayers who will say I am crazy for running such low pressures. Of course, I would never attempt to run these pressures and haul any load. Did I say I am pleased with the way she drives M. G. may still ride softer.
I doubt if the shocks make any significant difference at 45 mph or slower.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Elder User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well Joe I just watched both of your videos and I could tell the difference. Especially the after shot from the good side. Good job.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:45 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
LOL, I downloaded the same vid twice. Now I see the difference, much smoother!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
OK, Joe, we'll go back in your thread a slight bit but on topic.
I would estimate I've driven [B]Blue[/b] well over a thousand miles total, several hundred at interstate legal speeds. I am extremely satisfied with the way she rides, drives stops and handles. Remember, no PS or PB.
I am running 225/70 R19.5s on the front and LT235/85 R16s on the rear, just about equal height. I've experimented with tire pressures while driving at lower speeds and am down to running 40 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rears. On the fronts, I've painted stripes across the tire and seem to be getting equal deterioration of the paint across the ribs. There is no squirm or mushy feeling. On the rears, I am down to 35 psi and the tires are still riding on the center three ribs. I may try going down to 30 psi on the rear and see what happens, if it will come down and ride on all five ribs. None of the tires are running hot. When I reduced the pressures in the tires it got rid of the bone jarring rough ride.
There are no vibrations from the front end, even at road speed. I attribute this to a total rebuild, a good balance job and the installation of shocks.
I would guess there will be naysayers who will say I am crazy for running such low pressures. Of course, I would never attempt to run these pressures and haul any load. Did I say I am pleased with the way she drives M. G. may still ride softer.
I doubt if the shocks make any significant difference at 45 mph or slower.
Thanks for the follow up Ray. I'm going to try lowering the tire pressure more to see if the bouncing is reduced.

And I never thought about the painted stripe to see if they're riding flat.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby tough View Post
Well Joe I just watched both of your videos and I could tell the difference. Especially the after shot from the good side. Good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
LOL, I downloaded the same vid twice. Now I see the difference, much smoother!

One of the reasons I wanted you guys to see the smooth generator operation is so you can check out the mounting bracket, which I think is different from every other 226 mount I've seen. I don't have the big "clamp" mount like what's shown in the parts book. And the adjustment bracket on top works, but is attached from the back instead of the front, which is where it should be bolted.

So back to what was said earlier, I think this is a later generator that was retrofitted to my engine.

What do you guys with 6 cylinder trucks think?

Old 06-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Senior User

Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice job on the rebuild Joe!
2004 Mercury Marauder 32v DOHC - sold in June. Don't create a screen name after a car you might sell!
1969 Marquis convertible, 429
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2004 View Post
Nice job on the rebuild Joe!

Thanks Marauder.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Phone mount

I have been driving Betsy with my phone sitting in the ashtray running the app "Android Speedometer" so I have an idea how slow I'm going (notice I didn't say how "fast"). My speedometer is way off, so when I'm doing 35, my speedometer says I'm doing 20...

Anyway, for Fathers Day my daughter got me a Nite Ize Steelie which I stuck in the middle of the dash. The mount location allows me to see the phone display easily and plug into the power socket (thanks again Bob) without having the cord interfere with anything (like the shifter).

And since I uploaded all my iTunes to the Google cloud, I can use my phone as a speedometer AND a sound system.

Here's a few pics...

The steel mount stuck to the dash
Name:  NiteIze 1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  101.1 KB

The phone has a very strong, small, concave magnet stuck on the back. The concave shape allows it to be positioned anywhere on the steel ball.
Name:  NiteIze 2.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  127.0 KB

This blurry shot shows the power cord plugged in.
Name:  NiteIze 3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  78.9 KB

And the view from the driver's seat. I'm going really slowly inside my garage...
Name:  NiteIze 4.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  144.1 KB

I also have some portable speakers which I will try later to enhance the music from the phone.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Elder User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey Joe,I got a little round speaker from Wallyworld for about 20 bucks that I use for my laptop.You could get one and have some good sound from it. You can get a cord to fit your phone .It has it's own rechargeable battery too. I think it's a IHOME model ihm 59. Don't mean to be knockin' yours but this one is pretty good.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Hey Joe,I got a little round speaker from Wallyworld for about 20 bucks that I use for my laptop.You could get one and have some good sound from it. You can get a cord to fit your phone .It has it's own rechargeable battery too. I think it's a IHOME model ihm 59. Don't mean to be knockin' yours but this one is pretty good.
Yeah Toby, that's a great idea!

That's what I already have hooked to my laptop, and what I mentioned earlier when I said "I also have some portable speakers which I will try later to enhance the music from the phone."

I tried them with my phone here in the house, and the music sounded just like it was coming off my computer.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:

Hey, have you tried these in your truck? I know they have magnetic bases, but I don't yet know if those are strong enough to hold it on the dash.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:59 PM