Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
My hat's off to you for waiting for the paint to dry before handling it. I usually leave finger prints as I get too itchy to try my 'new part'. I have always enjoyed this build!
Thanks you, sir!

It has at times been a rant or rambling, but hopefully there's a bit of helpful info in here for guys like me that don't know what they're doing.

I'm fairly certain that if I had gotten this truck and had not found FTE, it would be someone else's truck already.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Worse comes to worse, you can always re-polarize it. However, it should not need it. When you first start the truck, keep an eye on the charge gauge just in case. Am I paranoid or experienced?
It will prolly need it. Most I have ever seen do after being hit or dropped
or rebuilt.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 06-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
It will prolly need it. Most I have ever seen do after being hit or dropped
or rebuilt.
I had to polarize the gen when I first got the truck as the PO had it hooked up negative ground and I switched it back.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:24 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
I think it's usually needed after a rebuild because they use a growler on the coils and armature, so it loses its residual magnetism.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I think it's usually needed after a rebuild because they use a growler on the coils and armature, so it loses its residual magnetism.
Ditto, I don't think you did anything to cause it to lose its polarization. Although, if your luck is like mine Murphy might have visited in the night.....LOL

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 06-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Ditto, I don't think you did anything to cause it to lose its polarization. Although, if your luck is like mine Murphy might have visited in the night.....LOL

Bobby
Well, it's easy enough to check and it's easy to polarize, so I'm not worried about that. Yet...

Hey! the smilies are back. They haven't worked for me in a while. And I bet some of you were glad.

I just got to my room in Richland, WA. It's been a long day. Maybe I'll get a chance to see Wayne while I'm here.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 06-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Well, it's easy enough to check and it's easy to polarize, so I'm not worried about that. Yet...

Hey! the smilies are back. They haven't worked for me in a while. And I bet some of you were glad.

I just got to my room in Richland, WA. It's been a long day. Maybe I'll get a chance to see Wayne while I'm here.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Every day is Saturday...

I've been thinking about this bent pulley on my generator for a while now. Ray said the sticker by the terminals looked like a rebuild sticker, and it probably is but I can't read it.

So the generator was rebuilt at some time in the past, and when that happened, they used the newer style '56 onward rear plate with the brushes attached. Thanks for that info 38 Coupe! That may be the only thing they did to it.

I bet after it was rebuilt, whoever was putting it back in the truck dropped it and bent the pulley. But, it worked, so they never tried to fix it.

Looking at the video I took of the new fan (thanks Ross) installed shows the wobble at the generator.

New Fan Video by JollyRogerJoe | Photobucket

Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Every day is Saturday...

On a side note... I was able to hook up with Wayne (52 Merc) tonight for a fine dinner. This kind of opportunity is one of the few things I like about traveling for a living. And that will be ending in just under 4 months. Thanks again Wayne!

Then the rest of you guys better watch out, because after I'm retired, I plan to look up a bunch more of you "old Ford" guys while traveling around the rest of the country.

On that note, my wife thinks we ought to get a big truck and car trailer to drag Betsy around the country. I'm one lucky guy...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
On a side note... I was able to hook up with Wayne (52 Merc) tonight for a fine dinner. This kind of opportunity is one of the few things I like about traveling for a living. And that will be ending in just under 4 months. Thanks again Wayne!
Thank you, Joe, for a fun evening and great company. Hope you get to drop by again soon. Don't forget to take the high road on the way home. It's worth the drive.

http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/...er_highway.pdf

Historic Columbia River Highway

Click the image to open in full size.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Posting Guru

49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.49willard has a very good reputation on FTE.
The picture brings back good memories of flying in a small plane up the Columbia River to the tri cities area on a beautiful many years ago.

49 F-1 Jag IFS, 3.70 9" rear, 383 stroked sbc, 700R4 AOD
Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Is that Multnomah Falls? I've never seen it when it wasn't raining...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Is that Multnomah Falls? I've never seen it when it wasn't raining...
Historic US 30 is the original road that was built through the Columbia Gorge, about 100 years ago, for travelers heading to Portland. A preserved section of it (in the map, linked above) goes by many beautiful water falls, including Multnomah. It's one of the most incredible drives anywhere in the world. Highly recommended for anyone coming through the area to take the extra hour and experience it. Joe and I discussed it at dinner last night. This time of the year with the spring runoff at it's peak, all of the falls will be spectacular.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Now that I look more at the pictures of your generator, I think the whole generator is 1955. The back of the armature is smaller diameter to fit into the rear bearing; armatures going into bushings are larger diameter. The front and back plates include mounting ears. Originally H six cylinders used the same generator as the 8BA V8s. There was a separate bracket with a strap that held the original generator. Check out page 139 of the illustration section of the 48-56 Ford Truck Parts book (page 974 in the PDF). You can see the bracket and generator in this picture I found on Photobucket:
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Stopped on at Multnomah Falls at least twice times on our trips back home from Wenatchee, WA. Last time we drove the narrow road (maybe it was US 30) and saw several other falls in the same area. I agree with Wayne, that drive is beautiful! A hike to the top of Multnomah is breathtaking, but we never had the time to do it.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM