Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
All-thread is made from ungraded steel, very low strength unless you buy special stuff at a pipe hanger supply house ($$$$). A trip to the spring shop should set you up with some strong custom-bent U-bolts at a reasonable price.
Yeah, my son suggested a place near where he works for the custom u-bolts. I think it's time I check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
No load on the bed, I would suspect the wood drying out as opposed to bolt stretch. I am using much the same set up and have had to draw down on my bolts a bit. The stringers I used had been cut and in the dry for about six months prior to installation on Blue. Note to self: Check bolts again tomorrow.
Hmmm. Hadn't even considered wood shrinkage, but the wood I used was never dried to my knowledge, so that makes more sense than just the extreme bouncing. I got it from a local lumber yard. The bouncing made the problem noticeable. But all the Nylocks were loose! That really surprised me. So I bet the wood did shrink.

And it's a good thing I checked everything too, because the right brake light bracket was also bent and weakened from the bouncing. The left is already reinforced to hold the license plate. Now the right is also reinforced.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
And I know everyone on FTE is waiting for me to rebuild my generator.

Oh, wait. You forgot? You didn't know?

Well, anyway, the rebuild is scheduled for Friday, and I will post pics.

Tomorrow is wine tasting in Temecula Valley! WooHoo! I love vacation! They have some really good vineyards in Temecula.

I'm gonna love retirement! 70 working days left!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 05-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Postmaster

Well, that didn't happen on Friday as promised. I smashed my finger, split open the fingernail and the swelling made it hard to grip a wrench.

Film at eleven...

Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Well, that didn't happen on Friday as promised. I smashed my finger, split open the fingernail and the swelling made it hard to grip a wrench.

Film at eleven...
Well Joe don't miss any work from your finger. You will just have to make
up the days and it will be that many more till retirement.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Well Joe don't miss any work from your finger. You will just have to make
up the days and it will be that many more till retirement.
I'm off work until next Wednesday, so I won't be missing any work because of my finger. It'll take a lot more than that to push my retirement date back!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post

Film at eleven...
That must have been some wild wine tasting
Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
So funny and prolly so true Ray.

A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
That must have been some wild wine tasting
It was a barrel of fun, for sure. We brought home 11 bottles of wine and 2 of almond champagne from 3 vineyards. We had a great lunch at a 4th vineyard, but their wines were not good.

But the finger smashing happened while I was working on the truck. I'd much preferred a knuckle busting to a finger smashing, but accidents don't offer a choice. I'm not really a sissy, but it hurt so bad I almost passed out. Guess it's a good thing I was never a POW.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Old School

POW? Past out Wineo?

Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Senior User

toby tough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Back in the day I was building a safety rail over a filter bed at the water treatment plant in Omaha. Had a brand new hammer with a waffle head that I wasn't quite used to. Smashed my left thumb and split the nail. Man that hurt. The next week I smacked it again doing the same thing. That time it really hurt.
I always say",Good work isn't cheap,and cheap work isn't good."
Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 PM
tractorman

tractormanbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
If the split nail lets the pressure out you may not have to drill a small hole in the nail to relieve the pressure.
My wife actually let me drill one of her fingernails on my WWII twin spindle drill press.

I usually drill my own but it has been a few years since that was necessary.
TractormanBill
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractormanbill View Post
If the split nail lets the pressure out you may not have to drill a small hole in the nail to relieve the pressure.
My wife actually let me drill one of her fingernails on my WWII twin spindle drill press.

I usually drill my own but it has been a few years since that was necessary.
TractormanBill
The swelling's already gone down a lot. I can actually bend my finger at the knuckle now which I couldn't do yesterday. And it's split a little forward of the nail too, so it was oozing pretty good before. Now, I think it's on track to start healing.

I just don't want to hit it again.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Senior User

jay54f100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That sucks. Hope it heals pretty quick.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay54f100 View Post
That sucks. Hope it heals pretty quick.
Thanks Jay. It's getting better every day.

Hope everyone has a really nice day tomorrow. Take a moment to be thankful for those for whom we celebrate Memorial Day.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Pictures?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire