Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
How about front shocks? The 1956 shocks and brackets will work.
I guess I can look up these in my Text Catalog? Are the brackets welded to the axle like for rear shocks?

OK I found them. I'll have to do some more research on this. I didn't notice any mount holes in the axle. How do the tops tie into the frame?

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Check out section 180 of the illustrations, pg. 367.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Postmaster

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Check out section 180 of the illustrations, pg. 367.
Yes, I saw those. But they're for models C,D, and Y. Is there no F450 for '56? I guess the F350 (Y) type shock mounts would work?

But I don't understand how they mount from that drawing. Where do the brackets 18035 and 18126/18127 mount?

Name:  56 front shocks.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  63.5 KB

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 05-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Upper bracket would attach to the frame rail, and the lower bracket to the bottom of the U bolts, between the axle mounting flange and nuts.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Upper bracket would attach to the frame rail, and the lower bracket to the bottom of the U bolts, between the axle mounting flange and nuts.
So, that bolt 20387-S is supposed to be holding the top bracket to the frame. I can see that now. And the bottom bracket is shown as it would be lined up with the u-bolts for the springs.

And do you guys think this setup would work on my truck? If I'm picturing this correctly, I think the drag link would hit the left shock when I turn right.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
Back to the generator, my memory is the front bearing is a 203 series that you can get pretty much anywhere.

When you put the new brushes, take a piece of sand paper and wrap it with the sand side out around your commutator. Let the brushes spring load against the sand paper then spin the armature (and therefor the commutator). This will sand the brushes to the shape of the commutator. If the shape of the brushes is pretty good to begin with, skip this step.

I have found the hardest part of rebuilding a generator is getting the key out of the shaft so I can pull the front bearing. I generally polish the sides of the key down until it is a light press fit before reassembly. That way if I have to I can take it all apart again without much drama.

If your pulley wobbles you probably have a bent pulley, or possibly a bent armature. If so, replace the bent parts.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Back to the generator, my memory is the front bearing is a 203 series that you can get pretty much anywhere.

When you put the new brushes, take a piece of sand paper and wrap it with the sand side out around your commutator. Let the brushes spring load against the sand paper then spin the armature (and therefor the commutator). This will sand the brushes to the shape of the commutator. If the shape of the brushes is pretty good to begin with, skip this step.

I have found the hardest part of rebuilding a generator is getting the key out of the shaft so I can pull the front bearing. I generally polish the sides of the key down until it is a light press fit before reassembly. That way if I have to I can take it all apart again without much drama.

If your pulley wobbles you probably have a bent pulley, or possibly a bent armature. If so, replace the bent parts.
Thanks for this info. I already found all the rebuild parts at RockAuto.com. The front bearing specs match the original, so I'm good there. It's $5.81.

I saw that the brushes are available everywhere, but RockAuto also had them, so I added them to the order for $5.01. DC had them for $10.00. The Shop Manual advises the same about shaping the brushes when replacing them.

And the rear bushing shown on RockAuto was actually the hardest part of the order. The single piece for $0.27 was no longer available, but a bag of 5 was available for $0.59 each. I had to call them to get the order straightened out, but the guy was very helpful and took care of it quickly. I ordered them yesterday, they shipped today.

So, looks like I'm all set for a new undertaking in 2 weeks when I'm on vacation again. I bought more primer today for painting the generator case while I have it out.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Posting Guru

schoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
was wondering if the doors on the f4 are the same as the f1 and f2
Old 05-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Don't forget to polish the commutator segments and scrape the mica from between them so they don't short together. I use a broken hack saw blade
for this.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoo View Post
was wondering if the doors on the f4 are the same as the f1 and f2
Hi Schoo. The doors for the F4 are the same as the F1 and F2. Actually, they're the same for F1 through F6. There are 5 Star cabs and 5 Star Extra cabs for 51 and 52. The Extra cab doors have armrests and stainless window dividers as well as a drivers side door lock.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block View Post
Don't forget to polish the commutator segments and scrape the mica from between them so they don't short together. I use a broken hack saw blade
for this.
Thanks. I believe this is covered in the Shop Manual as well. Never having done this before, I'll be copying the pertinent pages from the Shop Manual to to take out to the shop, so I don't get grease on the pages in the book.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
So, that bolt 20387-S is supposed to be holding the top bracket to the frame. I can see that now. And the bottom bracket is shown as it would be lined up with the u-bolts for the springs.

And do you guys think this setup would work on my truck? If I'm picturing this correctly, I think the drag link would hit the left shock when I turn right.
Joe, I have the top brackets bolted to the frame on Blue, my 1949 F4, and the drag link has plenty of clearance. I doubt if there is a nickle's worth of difference in the frames. The brackets are originally riveted to the frame. I bet there is a forum member near you who sells parts and has what you need. BTW, RockAuto has the Monroe brand shocks on closeout at $25. a pair. Unbeatable price. You must drill holes in the frame, not a big deal if you have a sharp bit.

BTW, I got the idea from Missy Green, my '56, took measurements and took action.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Joe, I have the top brackets bolted to the frame on Blue, my 1949 F4, and the drag link has plenty of clearance. I doubt if there is a nickle's worth of difference in the frames. The brackets are originally riveted to the frame. I bet there is a forum member near you who sells parts and has what you need. BTW, RockAuto has the Monroe brand shocks on closeout at $25. a pair. Unbeatable price. You must drill holes in the frame, not a big deal if you have a sharp bit.

Ray, have you driven Blue yet? Just wondering how much different the ride is with these shocks compared to normal.

Or are you doing this to Blue because Missy Green rides better?

Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Posting Guru

schoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks joe enjoy the thread and truck are
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Ray, have you driven Blue yet? Just wondering how much different the ride is with these shocks compared to normal.

Or are you doing this to Blue because Missy Green rides better?
Joe, I've not driven Blue with the shocks. Blue is sprung stiffer than M. G. and the ride is more harsh. Since I have Blue geared and powered for highway speeds, I figured she should have shocks. Leaf springs have an inherent damping effect so we may not see much difference at low speeds. Perhaps I made a bad suggestion. Perhaps a suspension expert will weigh in
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire