Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
LOL, I caught my mistake and edited it out, but not before you "captured" it. It was the 215's / 223's that had ears, not the flat-6's.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
AFAIK all internals are the same and both are bearing front/bushing rear.
Okay, so the "Typical" drawing I loaded shows a rear bearing, but that's actually for a '56 or newer generator.

I need the front bearing and rear bushing.

EDIT: I looked up the part numbers in the Text Catalog and now I see that I need a 8BA-10094 bearing and a 78-10128 bushing.

Thanks for your replies, y'all.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Okay, so the "Typical" drawing I loaded shows a rear bearing, but that's actually for a '56 or newer generator.
I have the same exact drawing in my original pre '55 catalog. Engineering number P-1829 in lower right corner. But reading the text, I, too, see that the correct, original generator used a bushing. I guess we should hope it hasn't been swapped for something else.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
What about switching out to a 6v pos ground alternator?? When I needed to have the generator rebuilt in the 52, the cost of a rebuild and a new 6v pos alternator was about the same. Granted it won't look original and you'd have to fab a mounting bracket, but you'll have better charging.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
I have the same exact drawing in my original pre '55 catalog. Engineering number P-1829 in lower right corner. But reading the text, I, too, see that the correct, original generator used a bushing. I guess we should hope it hasn't been swapped for something else.
Pretty sure it's the original generator. It looks that way, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
What about switching out to a 6v pos ground alternator?? When I needed to have the generator rebuilt in the 52, the cost of a rebuild and a new 6v pos alternator was about the same. Granted it won't look original and you'd have to fab a mounting bracket, but you'll have better charging.
Well, it's about $12 for the bushing and the bearing. Plus $10 for brushes. I don't know yet if I need brushes but since I'll have it apart... So $22 plus shipping. I have no problem charging with the current (see what I did there) generator, so I think I'll keep it stock and be cheap, as usual.

Do places like Napa or AutoZone or O'Reilly's carry these parts? That would save on shipping.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:

Do places like Napa or AutoZone or O'Reilly's carry these parts? That would save on shipping.
Looks like it, although I'm suspicious of the bearing, take your calipers along...

Gosh, no question where the bearing comes from... NAPA shows another one in their upscale line I'd be inclined to get, even at 2x the price.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Henry got it right...

Thanks for looking that up Ross.

I see now why I couldn't find these. I looked on the NAPA website for generator / bearings but found nothing for my truck. I should have searched without listing my vehicle. I'm going to see if they have the bushing as well...

Well, well, well. I couldn't find any specs on the bushing from NAPA or in the Text Catalog. So I went looking elsewhere. RockAuto.com has the brushes, bushing and bearing for $11.09 with $5.12 shipping. For $16.21, I ordered them from RockAuto.

So now I have a Betsy project for my May vacation in three weeks.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Senior User

speedyweasel is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
RockAuto never ceases to amaze with some of the parts they stock. It's just "an online retailer" but they seem to have some truly obscure parts. Summit has gotten loads better in recent years, too. They've deviated from the 'strictly racing' mindset into a lot more areas. I nabbed some liquid-filled engine mounts for my Cummins 4BT conversion from Summit -- at 1/2 the price of the O'Reilly & NAPA and they got here in about 28 hours. Not bad.

Those kingpins look pretty now that they're all churched up again!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
Those kingpins look pretty now that they're all churched up again!
Yes, and like the tranny that's "all churched up again", no one will ever see them.

But I drove her to Costco this morning to get gas ($4.02/gallon) and I'm quite pleased with the steering now. The only problem is the steering wheel is way off center. But I can deal with that.

I sure wish the roads had less craters though. Man, what a bouncy ride!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Y

I sure wish the roads had less craters though. Man, what a bouncy ride!
Have we discussed tire pressure. Betsy will do just fine running tire pressure way less that recommended. Takes a lot of the road shock out.
How about front shocks? The 1956 shocks and brackets will work.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Have we discussed tire pressure. Betsy will do just fine running tire pressure way less that recommended. Takes a lot of the road shock out.
How about front shocks? The 1956 shocks and brackets will work.
I have the tires at 40 psi all around. No shocks on an F4, front or rear. The max rating is 90 psi. And the bad bounce comes from the rear with no weight back there. I try not to drive over 30 mph and slow down if I know a crater is coming. Did I mention I never noticed these "craters" in my car?

But I do have these overload springs which I'm pretty sure never get used nowadays. I can't imagine how much weight would have to be on the bed for the upper springs to be used. Maybe a ton, since she's a 1 ton?

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm thinking one of these days I'm going to need to refurb the springs. And I'm really not looking forward to that. I like the ride height, so I don't want to remove leaves. But I bet they're all rusted together. The PO just painted them all black when he painted the frame.

It's worse than riding a hardtail Harley. I hit a bump today and the bounce started to pull my pants down from friction on the seat back. Thank goodness for seat belts!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Joe,
Its amazing the differences in springs between todays 1 ton trucks and older trucks.

A few years ago I was driving dad's 74 Dodge 1 ton. I think the only suspension is in the seat....LOL. Its like riding in an old buckboard.

Maybe you could add some weight to the truck bed. Maybe do something like find some old wooden barrels and fill them full of sand or something like that

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
postin' fool

You've got near a half-ton of unsprung weight back there, no easy solution.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
You've got near a half-ton of unsprung weight back there, no easy solution.
And it probably will last forever if I don't do something stupid.

Heck, it's already 63 or 64 years old. But it sometimes feels like it's leaving the ground even when I'm not going fast. And parking lot speed bumps are deadly...

I just don't want to break anything.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 PM
postin' fool

You can get rid of the aux springs, it will reduce the unsprung weight maybe a hundred lbs, but I really doubt they are in play as far as spring rate. Shocks up front would really help, as Ray suggested. It helps stop the rocking-horse.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire