Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Blabbermouth

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
OK, dinner was good. Betsy steers better. I don't have to fight the wheel to keep her in a straight line. I suppose it was a combination of the king pins and the drag link adjustment. Whatever, I don't have to fight to keep her in a lane.

I suppose, since I had the tie rod off to replace the king pins and to repaint it, I should recheck the toe-in adjustment. But I'm happy with the steering now.

And now for some frosty beverages!

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Joe, how long until your retirement? I need the front end in the 52 redone. Hotel and food will be covered. TEE HEE
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Careful, 51Panelman. Those Julie references could get somebody "banned.. ..for life."

Why can't we all just get along?

Anyway, Joe, when I go to disassemble a front end component, I count threads and write it down. Then it goes back together with the same amount of threads sticking out. Assuming it was ever right, that will get it close enough that I can fine-align from there.
Toe-in can be checked with a tape measure after slowly driving a straight line on level ground. Measure to like points on good tire tread. Having an assistant is pretty much mandatory. I have used this method and then driven to an alignment shop (remember them?) and the toe-in was within spec.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Blabbermouth

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Hey Joe, how long until your retirement? I need the front end in the 52 redone. Hotel and food will be covered. TEE HEE
Ilya, 156 days. But who's counting? One thing I've come to appreciate about the F4... its ground clearance when working underneath. But the downside is the tires/wheels are so danged heavy. Wish I had 22.5s, glad I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Horvaths View Post
Anyway, Joe, when I go to disassemble a front end component, I count threads and write it down. Then it goes back together with the same amount of threads sticking out. Assuming it was ever right, that will get it close enough that I can fine-align from there.
Toe-in can be checked with a tape measure after slowly driving a straight line on level ground. Measure to like points on good tire tread. Having an assistant is pretty much mandatory. I have used this method and then driven to an alignment shop (remember them?) and the toe-in was within spec.
Yeah Jeremy, that's how I set the toe-in last time after I replaced the tie rod and ends. I don't think I let the tie rod ends rotate too much while I had it off this week. But I will check it again. It's a pretty tight spec at only 1/16". And I've read on here somewhere that a little greater toe-in may be a good thing.

And I had to remove the tie rod completely to do the king pins. So I may not have changed the toe-in anyway.

1951 F4 "Betsy" Build Thread @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html
Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
My truck runs straight as an arrow with as close to -0- toe-in as I can get. I have radials, do you? The spec is actually 0 to 1/16", i.e., no toe-out.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Blabbermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
My truck runs straight as an arrow with as close to -0- toe-in as I can get. I have radials, do you? The spec is actually 0 to 1/16", i.e., no toe-out.
Yes, I have 8R19.5s on the front. So I will try to zero it out. Pretty sure I set it for 1/16 last time.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
One of the things that I have learned when setting toe-in for all of the old cars and trucks around here....the wheels and tires aren't usually perfect. They all seem to have a little run-out.

One way to deal with that is to measure the distance between some point on the wheel, then mark that spot. For the first measurement,that spot should be towards the front of the truck. Be sure to mark both wheels. Now rotate the wheels until those spots are towards the "back" of the truck and measure between those two spots again. It is best with the weight of the truck on the wheels.

Just a thought.

Dan
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Glad to hear that you're back together and rolling again. Especially nice to hear that your hard work paid off and it really drives nice.

I've set the toe numerous times with a tape measure. Heck, I've even gone as far as setting the camber using a framing square and some mathematics. There's just no way of measuring caster in the driveway with basic tools but you can get everything else pretty danged close.

These trucks can take quite a bit of toe in. Not enough and you can get the "death wobble"

Go enjoy your frosty beverage(s), you earned it
Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Blabbermouth

And on to the next project...

Thanks Bobby.

I am going to rebuild my generator. It's recharging the battery okay. But I think the old fan belt was too tight when I got the truck. I notice the pulley slightly wobbles, so I figure it's a good idea to do a little preventive maintenance before I get stuck somewhere. Like up the creek. Without a paddle.

So, I researched the Shop Manual and the Parts books. There is no drawing in the Shop Manual of a generator for a 6 cylinder. The one shown in Fig. 12 on page 253 is for V8. But they were all 6 volts in those days, so I'm guessing the drawing shows the mount for the V8 which differs from the 6 cyl. In that figure there is no rear bushing or bearing shown.

In the Illustrations Catalog, there is a "Typical" Generator on page 309 which shows 10094 front bearing and 10095 rear bearing.

Name:  Pages from Illustrations Catalog_Searchable.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  98.9 KB

Dennis Carpenter has the 8BA-10094 as a front bearing '40-'64, but their rear bearing is B6A-10095-B '56-'64. And, DC also has a generator rear bushing 78-10128 for '38-'55. That looks like the bushing in my starter.

Does anyone know if those bearings are what I need for a '51 6 cylinder stock 6 volt generator? I get SO confused...

I'd like to order the parts before I take the truck down again.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
You might try finding a generator/electric shop. There must be one in the Riverside area. It could be that the rear bearing is pretty generic bushing stock.

Dan
Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Dan beat me to it.

I'd call around to the local shops, there's bound to be one that rebuilds starters, generators, etc. I'll bet you can find the parts locally.

Here in Albuquerque we have a great place that's been around forever. The guys seems to have parts for everything.

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 PM
Blabbermouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan View Post
You might try finding a generator/electric shop. There must be one in the Riverside area. It could be that the rear bearing is pretty generic bushing stock.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Dan beat me to it.

I'd call around to the local shops, there's bound to be one that rebuilds starters, generators, etc. I'll bet you can find the parts locally.

Here in Albuquerque we have a great place that's been around forever. The guys seems to have parts for everything.

Bobby
My question is: does that generator have 2 bearings or a front bearing and a rear bushing? I want to get the parts before I take it apart.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Joe, as I read my original Ford parts catalog, 6's and 8's used the same generator. There were two different ones available, one 35 and one 40 amp, but both show fitting 6 and V8.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:06 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Joe, as I read my original Ford parts catalog, 6's and 8's used the same generator. There were two different ones available, one 35 and one 40 amp, but both show fitting 6 and V8.
AFAIK all internals are the same and both are bearing front/bushing rear.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Except for the endplates; the 6's gen endplates had ears for mounting. AFAIK all internals are the same and both are bearing front/bushing rear.
The catalog makes no references to mounting ears. This is for the "Generator Assy, Less pulley, bracket and bolt." (10002) Perhaps this is one of those things that's different between production supplied parts and service parts, which oftentimes are more generic for multiple applications.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire