Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
If you had the reamer, you could do it yourself!
Anyone have a picture of what this reamer looks like?

Or where to get one?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Anyone have a picture of what this reamer looks like?

Or where to get one?
I have a few piloted reamers.....do you know the king pin diameter?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
His is 1.12" (1-1/8"?)
This is what they look like in general
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
The type I have are adjustable......I have one 1 1/16-1 1/8.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior User

Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Marauder2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Joe, for what it's worth, I did not find a local machine shop to ream mine either, but I did find an independent alignment shop that had the equipment and knew how to do it. I dropped off the spindles, new bushings, and pins and they were a perfect fit the next day!
2004 Mercury Marauder 32v DOHC - sold in June. Don't create a screen name after a car you might sell!
1969 Marquis convertible, 429
Old 04-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Wow! Thanks for the replies fellas. I've never seen any of those types of reamers.

So the bushings are removed first, new bushings pressed in, and then both reamed in the same action to keep them lined up properly. Makes sense to me.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 AM
tractorman

tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tractormanbill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Reamers

On the adjustable reamer the cone goes in the bottom to center the reamer, you set the adjustment to the correct size with the upper & lower nut and then feed the reamer down through the bushing.
Tractormanbill
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Well, I've searched the web for a reamer in 1.129 size (the spec is 1.129 to 1.131). I mic'ed my new pins, and they're 1.129 just like Ross said. I haven't found a reamer that size, adjustable or otherwise.

On another note, we had the granddaughters over for a while this morning so I got them all in the cab with me. It's a tight fit, and the littlest wasn't happy after a short while (which I kinda expected).

So, when I was mounting the flag holders to the bed, I also secured two chairs back there. One is for my son and the other for a granddaughter to be named later. Probably the 3 year old. We can strap her car seat to the chair if needed.

Then, of course I had to test drive to check the security of said chairs. I continued the drive until I hit a milestone. No vehicles were damaged in the hitting of this milestone.

Click the image to open in full size.

I tried to get a pic just as the odometer turned, but that's gotta be as unsafe as texting while driving. She had 25,720 on there when I got her in July, 2011. Of course the speedo cable was broken, so I have no idea what the true mileage is. Not exactly a daily driver, eh? Haven't quite caught up to Ross and his wild adventures to and from Truckstock.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 04-05-2014, 09:48 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
To be honest Joe, I worry about the little ones in the cab or elsewhere -- be safe!!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
To be honest Joe, I worry about the little ones in the cab or elsewhere -- be safe!!
They won't be in the truck without seat belts until the parade starts. And then, if I hit 5 mph it will be unlike last year. I want to have the 10 year old next to the door, and she has enough sense not to open the door!

If one is strapped into a chair on the bed, her daddy will be watching her. I think we're good, but I understand your concerns.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Welder User

Joe, I'd be happy to loan you my reamer, but it's not quite big enough......only goes to 1.125".
Surely there is a shop in your area that can do the job?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
Joe, I'd be happy to loan you my reamer, but it's not quite big enough......only goes to 1.125".
Surely there is a shop in your area that can do the job?
My son knows a guy. He's going to check with him for me to see if he has one big enough.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Elder User

dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.dmack91 has a great reputation on FTE.
Just a suggestion - you might try some local hotrod/custom places and/or people. They may be able to recommend a machine shop to do the work.

A local NAPA said they could do mine, but wanted 3 hours of shop time to do it. With the help of a mechanic friend, I found a local machine shop that was able to do it for $40.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 PM
postin' fool

Your bushings are on the small size for a shop that does semis, check with one of them.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
Just a suggestion - you might try some local hotrod/custom places and/or people. They may be able to recommend a machine shop to do the work.

A local NAPA said they could do mine, but wanted 3 hours of shop time to do it. With the help of a mechanic friend, I found a local machine shop that was able to do it for $40.
Quote:
Your bushings are on the small size for a shop that does semis, check with one of them.
All good ideas guys. Thanks. I'll be checking on this soon. Unfortunately, I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 AM