1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TBHHUNT
Yeah just noticed that too, Fixed it. I have a 1950 f2, and hb. Been reading your thread all the way through the past few days before I start rebuilding mine. Taking lots of notes.
Well, if you look at my "join" date you'll see I'm still a rookie. I've learned almost everything I know about these trucks on this site.

This is a lengthy thread because I like to hear myself talk. I imagine by now it takes a long time to read the whole thread. But I intend to keep it going.

Thanks for reading my dribble. I hope some of it will be helpful.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Well, if you look at my "join" date you'll see I'm still a rookie. I've learned almost everything I know about these trucks on this site.

This is a lengthy thread because I like to hear myself talk. I imagine by now it takes a long time to read the whole thread. But I intend to keep it going.

Thanks for reading my dribble. I hope some of it will be helpful.
Iv'e been reading for three hours, only on page 30. so much to take in.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Iv'e been reading for three hours, only on page 30. so much to take in.
Have you started a thread on your F2 yet? I'm in usimg my phone right now so I can't really search for your posts. We'd love to see pics...

My office is in Huntington Beach.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
TBHHUNT
Junior User
Have you started a thread on your F2 yet? I'm in usimg my phone right now so I can't really search for your posts. We'd love to see pics...

My office is in Huntington Beach.
Yes I have, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...chronicle.html

Hmm, my location is still wrong.. Well I live off of beach and edinger, right behind that arbys. I'd love to see your truck sometime, It's come a long way.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Yes I have, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...chronicle.html

Hmm, my location is still wrong.. Well I live off of beach and edinger, right behind that arbys. I'd love to see your truck sometime, It's come a long way.
Okay. I have already read most of your thread before. That's a nice looking truck.

Yeah, the guys on here are friendly and helpful. You can ask any question and get good advice. It's really hard for me to "type "on my phone so I'm out.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Here's another video of the parade. Betsy's in at 2:45, 6:05 and 6:24. This was done with a camera obviously, and not a smart phone.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Parts... no parts... Parts?

It's been a couple of months since I've added anything here.

I was planning to work on Betsy this week while I'm off work, so I ordered some parts well in advance for that reason. I got a call today from Mac's to let me know my oil pan gasket is no longer available through them, and my back order was cancelled. Why it took six weeks to let me know, well, I guess they were just hopeful. So was I.

So I checked PartsVoice.com (thanks to NumberDummy Bill) to check on parts availability elsewhere. Collectors Auto Supply in Oroville, WA showed they had 22 in stock, so I checked their site... no such part number. I called them, and the guy said they don't have that exact part, but have one that should work for $50. Thanks for checking.

Dennis Carpenter also has them (I hope) for $20 so I placed the order with them today.

I guess I won't be stopping that oil leak during this vacation... If it goes b/o with DC, I'll buy a gasket sheet and make my own. But that won't do anything for the lower seals.

I have a few other things I can work on which I'll post pics and update the thread when I get to them.

It's supposed to be triple digit temps through this weekend (102 right now) with killer humidity (for SoCal anyway). Frosty beverage, anyone?

Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Hang in there.
Better gaskets than brake drums. Ahh, the thrill of the hunt!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by The Horvaths
Hang in there.
Better gaskets than brake drums. Ahh, the thrill of the hunt!
I guess I missed that. I didn't realize you were needing drums... ouch...

Did you check with Chuck's Trucks?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
I guess I missed that. I didn't realize you were needing drums... ouch...

Did you check with Chuck's Trucks?
We bit the bullet and bought two NO$ drum$ for the front of Ablatross ('55 F500). The rears are in good shape. We're presently building a 292 Y block for it to replace the 239. The block ran well and was in great shape except for a cracked left head. Eventually we will possibly put either an aux trans or a higher-geared rear differential in it. The Timken's 6.200/1 is mighty low! Know anybody with a decent "Brownie box" they'd part with?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Well, I ordered a new master cylinder along with the oil pan gaskets. And I decided to try a headlight relay to see if they'll be any brighter as claimed in the hype. Hopefully I'll get some of this work done soon.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Does your truck lock up at a stop?

Received my order from Dennis Carpenter today. They don't have the oil pan gasket set either.

But, I got a Patent Data Plate for the firewall, since the only thing legible on mine is the VIN stamp. All the paint's gone. So I just got back from Harbor Freight with a stamp set. It doesn't have the stars, but at least it'll have the patent numbers.

Also got a new rubber fuel line that goes to the fuel pump. That ought to be a simple replacement (wish I hadn't said that).

I sent Chuck at Chuck's Trucks an email. He has the oil pan gasket set, so I asked him to send me one. One of these days, I'm going to try to stop the leaks...

But the real news is I replaced the master cylinder today. Some of you will remember that I rebuilt the original m/c back in July of last year (starts in post #439 of this thread). I had problems with it right off the bat... leaking out the front because the primary cup from the rebuild kit was mangled beyond belief (obviously I did it). So I used the old primary cup and had good brakes for a year.

Well, I think they were a little too good... I also reported having an occasional problem at a stop with "locking up". I first mentioned this problem last December, when I did my first driving video and got stuck at a stop sign (post #601). I said at that time that I thought I should get a new m/c. Well I finally did.

I took Betsy for a spin after the new m/c was bench bled and installed and I bled the brakes with the help of my wonderful wife. The lock up problem is gone. . Frosty beverages all around!!!

I drove her as I normally would, and she will roll right through a stop if I don't apply the brakes (wouldn't do that most of the time before now). Plus, I have a much higher brake pedal and it only goes about half way down with full brakes applied. Also, the PO had the wrong brake pedal return spring on the truck, which I fixed today.

Since I had never driven this truck before I got the brakes "finished" last year, I thought everything was normal, except for the occasional "lock up". I wasn't sure it was the brakes, but I am now.

So .

Anyway, I'm grinning big.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great! So it was just that old master cylinder that was causing you all the headaches? Seems so easy now that it's fixed, huh? Before then, it's just another frustrating head scratcher...

Old 07-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Oh no!

Well, I spoke too soon.

I had Betsy in the driveway today while I worked on the Ranger. When I pulled her back into the garage, she locked up again. I thought I must be running over something, so I got out to check... nothing under the wheels. I backed up, and when I came forward, she locked in the same exact spot. I backed up, and looked under the truck again. Nothing in the way. When I came forward this time, nothing bad happened.

If I can get to it this week, I'll pull all the wheels off and see if there's something loose??? I really have no idea what's wrong. Why lock in the same spot? I'm bummed out.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }</style> It sounds like something in your drive-line is binding up. The next time you get a lockup in the driveway try jacking up one wheel at a time to find out where your bind is coming from. Then start taking things apart.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project