1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I followed these instructions to the letter. I cleaned it and lubricated it as advised.The speedo still doesn't work.

Now I have a new question. There is nothing in this unit that I can detect being magnetized. I touched a flattened staple to both sides of what I assume has to be the "magnet" ( it spins by the action of the cable) and also to the cup you mentioned, but the staple was not attracted to anything in there. Could this be the problem? Since it doesn't start to move the needle until I'm moving about 25 mph, maybe the magnet is really weak? It is, after all, 63 years old.

And if that's the case, is there any way to re-magnetize it?
OK, after realizing that I was using an ugly staple to test magnetic attraction, I decided to use a really pretty refrigerator magnet to realign the magnetic flux core of my speedometer.

Ilya was right. That's all it needed.

I did actually use a magnet off the fridge. It was the strongest of the many magnets found on a grandparents' refrigerator. I used the grade school technique of aligning the molecules by contacting the arm and sliding the magnet in only on direction. That effectively re-magnetized the speedo arm.

I then used the variable speed drill method of calibrating the device. I can't get this unit to calibrate correctly to record 1 mile in 1 minute at 60mph. There just isn't enough adjustment to the spring without binding the mechanism into the odometer.

But, I'm ok with that. The speedo registers after about 5 or 10 mph, and is going to be inaccurate until (if) I change the drive gear to a 20-tooth to match my tire size, which I may never do.

Now on to the next problem.... but that'll wait until after the Super Bowl.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Time on your hands? Here you go...

The continuing saga of "Bouncing Betsy"...

Nice day for a drive after yesterday's rain and hail storms. Since we have seat belts to hold us in the cab, my wonderful (videographer) wife and I took a little longer spin through town.

WARNING: This video is 19 minutes long, and contains visual proof that people like old trucks. And stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=4193470724932

Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
greenehoosier
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome!!!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Thanks for the ride, Joe.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Joe, I went along for the entire ride. Being born and raised in SoCal, I'm now going to have some nightmares of traffic and palm trees. Bring Betsy up here for your next ride, no stop signs in town and it's twenty-two miles to the nearest stop light. The dirt roads might even smooth it out some!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks guys. I'm still learning how to shift, but "practice makes perfect" as they say. I just wish we had some smoother roads around here.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I enjoyed the ride Joe! I could feel the bumps from here. Both the driver and videographer did great. Lots of smiles per mile!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks Rob.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Sheepdog48
Freshman User
Joe, great job on Betsy I just re-read your thread. You have really helped pave the the way for the rest of us several steps behind you. Thanks for saying hello on my thread. I got my motor pretty much completely tore down and ready for the machine shop. Hopefully it will be rebuild-able. Anyway thanks again for all the info you have gathered on your own and from the members and shared in your thread, Jeff

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sheepdog48
Joe, great job on Betsy I just re-read your thread. You have really helped pave the the way for the rest of us several steps behind you. Thanks for saying hello on my thread. I got my motor pretty much completely tore down and ready for the machine shop. Hopefully it will be rebuild-able. Anyway thanks again for all the info you have gathered on your own and from the members and shared in your thread, Jeff
You are certainly welcome Jeff. I can't imaging going back through this whole thread again. I feel like I may be documenting the build, but the credit goes to those on FTE who have steered me down the right path and told me what to expect.

Hope you have yours running soon. There's a whole lot of satisfaction from just driving down the street like regular folks.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
CAMiniTruck
Junior User
Hey Joe - Quick question for you. I didn't see anything in your build thread about a bed on the truck (been away for a little while, so I may have missed it!). Are you still running bed-less, and if so, did you have any DMV issues?

(Still working on getting my truck on the road, and if I can do it without a bed while I test it out, so much the better!)

Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not Joe, but he did pick up a flatbed that he plans on restoring and using.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by CAMiniTruck
Hey Joe - Quick question for you. I didn't see anything in your build thread about a bed on the truck (been away for a little while, so I may have missed it!). Are you still running bed-less, and if so, did you have any DMV issues?

(Still working on getting my truck on the road, and if I can do it without a bed while I test it out, so much the better!)
I have rear lights and a license plate, so there's no law against driving without a bed. At least not in CA. I may be illegal without mudflaps, but I don't drive her in the rain to throw a spray on anyone anyway.

I had an 8' bed that I was restoring and planned to stretch to 9' so it would fit and look right. But it was also too narrow by a few inches, so I gave up on it and sent it to scrap. The rusty rail where it had been stuck underground for years would have made it a project beyond my skill level anyway.

I am still looking for a correct bed. But I'll probably end up making one. My buddy with a welder knows where to get the material, and has offered to (show me how to) build it in his shop. But first, I'll need to save the money...

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Well, it's been a month since I updated this thread.

I just entered Betsy in Riverside's annual "A Salute to Veterans Parade" on April 20th. This will be our first participation in a parade. If you can't tell, I'm excited!

I'm going to rig up a temporary bed so we can fly flags for all the services and a POW/MIA as well as Old Glory. My wife is designing the other decorations as well. Betsy will be decked out!

I'm also going to change Betsy's taillights so they match...

Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I also decided to get rid of the "original" single taillight, since I can't find one for the right side that looks even similar. And I don't really care if they look original as long as others can see them.

I fabbed up a couple of brackets to hang them on. I'll paint those later...

The reflection in the lights is from the camera flash.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project