Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Original Battery and Starter Cable gauge for 6 volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
I was looking at the starter cable when I was replacing the battery cables. It does look thinner, but it is much thicker than the old battery cables, so I'm not sure what gauge it is. I think it's the original starter cable.

So this brings another question to mind. What was the actual gauge of the original cables in these 6 volt trucks? Was it 1/0 like my new cables? Or was it more like 4 gauge or 2 gauge? I know you can use 4 gauge in an 80 amp circuit and 2 gauge in a 100 amp circuit.

Somebody on here must know what was stock...

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
Joe,

Glad you were able to get the cables while I was gone. We were out hunting places to get a flu shot for the family and came up short. We came home about 10 minutes after you left. Let's do some better planning next time so I can give you a ride in the panel truck.

Let me know if you want the solenoid to starter cable done. I may have one already made in that length. If not, I can get one made.

BTW, the cables are 2/0. I found that 1/0 is too thick and 2/0 works just fine.
...and way too many Bonus Built/Economy Built parts...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Joe,

BTW, the cables are 2/0. I found that 1/0 is too thick and 2/0 works just fine.
Just goes to show you what I know... I thought 2/0 was thicker than 1/0.

Actually, I think it is, at least according to this chart...

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry I missed you. I actually stopped to eat dinner, since I didn't get breakfast or lunch. So that's why I got there after you left. Wish you could have found a place to get the shots. They're advertising availability at some food stores with pharmacies around here.

But I can't thank you enough for getting the cables made for me. They work really well. And if they are 2/0, maybe that's why my starter cable looks thinner?

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Post Fiend

51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.51PanelMan has a great reputation on FTE.
You're right, Joe. It's been a busy week and the sizing slipped my mind.

What I should have said is that 1/0 is not thick enough, IMO, and minimum size should be 2/0.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Well I learned something new on wire gauges.
I was wondering about the 1/0, 2/0 etc. I hadn't dealt in wire that thick before. So 1/0 if 0 and 2/0 is 00 etc. now it makes sense.
I love this site, where else can you say "Those are some sweet looking cables." without being looked at like a complete nut. I mean people already think I'm crazy....
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
So 1/0 is 0 and 2/0 is 00 etc. now it makes sense.
Joe, that would be a correct comparison if we're talking about buckshot. Since "0" shot (.32" diameter) has 9 pellets per ounce and the slightly larger "00" shot (.33" diameter) has only 8 pellets per ounce.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Elder User

South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
...where else can you say "Those are some sweet looking cables." without being looked at like a complete nut.
San Francisco. But then you can just about say anything there without being looked at like a complete nut.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Metal Bumping for a beginner

At the recommendation of AXracer, I got the 4th edition of the Key to Metal Bumping by Frank T Sargent for Christmas. It was a great stocking stuffer.

I read the book last week, and started to analyze the body damage on my truck using the methods described in the book. And while there's not a lot of body work to do on Betsy, I still am uncertain how to start. Here are some pics of what I want to bump. Hopefully, someone with experience will comment. I've never done any body work.

All of these shots are of the cab right side below the gas filler pipe.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Post Fiend

Dolly on outside while hammering inside. Then alternate back and forth to get the high and low spots out until it's smooth enough for body filler.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Every day is Saturday...

No video, but I drove Betsy to Costco this morning to fill the tank. It's the first time I've driven her that far. Only about an 8 mile drive, but lots of fun nonetheless.

Our California streets are not exactly in good repair, since we only give the state about $.25 a gallon to keep them repaired. So I bounced merrily along on surface streets. And I mean I thought I got airborne a couple of times.

My wife was following in the Ranger to fill it up as well. She checked my speed, and when I was showing 30 on my speedo, she said I was doing 45. That makes sense because it felt like a lot faster than 30. Guess the rear radials aren't tall enough. But it did capture the correct mileage... hmmm

I downloaded a GPS Speedo to my smart phone, but I couldn't get it to work...

Amazing how stiff this suspension is, as it has the 10,000 pound GVWR and NO weight on the back. If it was a Harley, I'd call it a hard tail.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Posting Guru

38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.38 coupe has a good reputation on FTE.
That is the joy of driving an old work truck. If you are running with no load you can set the air pressure in the duals a lot lower than the max rating. Doing that helps a little.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
That is the joy of driving an old work truck. If you are running with no load you can set the air pressure in the duals a lot lower than the max rating. Doing that helps a little.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of lowering the tire pressure. How low do you think I can go? I think max pressure is 90 psi.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe View Post
Thanks. I hadn't thought of lowering the tire pressure. How low do you think I can go? I think max pressure is 90 psi.
You'll have to play with it a bit and see what works. I wouldn't be afraid to drop them down to at least 35 and see what happens. Remember, there's 4 of them back there and that's a lot of support for the little weight you've got.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
I run our F500 at 60 when unloaded. Using new bias ply 20" tires. If you don't go very fast, risk of overheating/blowout due to sidewall flex is not so bad. However, if dual tires touch, kerblewie!!
At 60, she's still stiff but not nearly as bad as at 80.
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
You'll have to play with it a bit and see what works. I wouldn't be afraid to drop them down to at least 35 and see what happens. Remember, there's 4 of them back there and that's a lot of support for the little weight you've got.
Thanks Wayne. I'll give that a try and see what happens.