1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
So, I'll just continue with this topic until I actually do something to the truck again.

I finished the welding cart. Wheels, casters, paint, and loaded it with my welding stuff.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:51 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Must be nice to have nothing else better to do than be retired and podunk around in the garage. Nice job on the cart, Joe. It's beautiful and your 'place for everything' shelves and brackets are making some of us look bad. LOL

Although there does seem to be something inherently wrong with having a welding machine sitting on a wooden stand.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Must be nice to have nothing else better to do than be retired and podunk around in the garage. Nice job on the cart, Joe. It's beautiful and your 'place for everything' shelves and brackets are making some of us look bad. LOL

Although there does seem to be something inherently wrong with having a welding machine sitting on a wooden stand.
Thanks Wayne.

I am enjoying my retirement.

I guess if the cart catches fire, I'll have to build one out of steel. But I think the 8 foot cables will keep it far enough from the sparks to prevent ignition of the cart.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Brought the tree home today...

Betsy went to work today.

Nearly exceeded the weight rating, but we managed to get the tree home.

The tree base was so thick I had to trim it to fit into the holder. That flatbed was the perfect height for doing the work. My chainsaw blade was too dull to cut the tree so I used my recip saw.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and happy holidays.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Looking good.
I hope you drove extra slow and were aware of the extended braking distance with a load like that.

That reminds me, the other day our agency delivered the Christmas tree for the Governors mansion. It wasn't a Ford that did the delivery, but it looked a lot like that traveling.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Looking good.
I hope you drove extra slow and were aware of the extended braking distance with a load like that.
I did drive slowly, but mostly over the speed bumps in the parking lots. And going through the gutters entering the parking lots. We decided to call her Bouncing Betsy...

And I made a discovery today that I wish I had figured out earlier... take speed bumps on an angle, and they are much more manageable. Still can't do it faster than a low idle, but it smoothed them out a great deal.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Joe,

I think you might be a little unclear on the concept. It looks like you got yourself a new welder, and then you set out to build yourself a welding cart....
...somewhere along about here you ran off the rails I think. It would appear that the newly created welding cart is a wee little bitty bit.... ...um...... .....er...

...well... ...organic.

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about it rusting....

looks like a nice functional cart...well done
Bobby

Old 12-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Joe,
I think you might be a little unclear on the concept. It looks like you got yourself a new welder, and then you set out to build yourself a welding cart.... somewhere along about here you ran off the rails I think. It would appear that the newly created welding cart is a wee little bitty bit.....um........er... ...well... ...organic.

On the bright side, you don't have to worry about it rusting....

looks like a nice functional cart...well done
Bobby
Well, I see your point. I wanted to make the cart out of steel, of which I have none. And to use the MIG with the wire I want, but which I don't have and I need a gas cylinder, which I don't have. I could have used flux core wire, which I don't have without the gas that I don't have, but then I wouldn't be welding the steel which I don't have the way I want to weld.

But bolts, screws, nails, glue, paint and scrap wood? I had tons of that lying around. So there's my cart. As I told Wayne earlier, if I set the cart on fire while welding, I'll have to make a new one out of steel.

As you can see, I'm not ready to weld anything yet. The remaining necessities will have to wait until after Christmas. But I thought it was a smoking deal on the welder... I could have bought the Eastwood cart or the Harbor Freight cart, but then I've already explained it.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:10 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
LOL
I completely understand Joe. You got to go with what you have. I just had to needle you a little bit.

After I got my welder I had great plans to weld up a cart. But then, my older boy was in shop class in high school and needed a project so I bought him some steel and had him build it in class. Now I have a cart that isn't quite right, is a little crooked and not exactly what I wanted. But I can't get rid of it and will have to use it for several decades......LOL

Oh well
Bobby

Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
LOL
I completely understand Joe. You got to go with what you have. I just had to needle you a little bit.

After I got my welder I had great plans to weld up a cart. But then, my older boy was in shop class in high school and needed a project so I bought him some steel and had him build it in class. Now I have a cart that isn't quite right, is a little crooked and not exactly what I wanted. But I can't get rid of it and will have to use it for several decades......LOL

Oh well
Bobby
And I bet you are thankful for that cart every time you use it.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:30 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Yea, makes me smile every time I roll it out and see that only 3 wheel touch the ground

Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job on the cart Joe!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol
Nice job on the cart Joe!
Thanks Keith.

Hope you get your charging problems figured out soon.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been sick all week, and haven't been on here much. This morning, my wife came into the office and told me since Betsy brought home the Christmas tree this year, she should have her own ornament. Yep, she's a keeper alright.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:28 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,396 Posts
That is awesome! Merry Christmas, Joe!

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project