1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd use spray engine enamel as much as possible. It is supposedly formulated to stick to imperfect, oily surfaces better than regular paint.

Tom's mention of Tuff Stuff reminded me, Foaming Bubbles actually works pretty darn good too.
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I'm not sure I could control the spray well enough to avoid getting it everywhere under the hood. I'm really not much of a painter. That's why I was thinking about brushing on the new color. Can I not buy engine enamel in a can and brush it on?

EDIT: I see that KBS Coatings has red paint in pints, as well as their "system" for prepping before paint. They have T-bird Red, Fire Red and a few others that are not even close to the right color red.
Spraying an engine with spray cans is not hard, (or spray gun but more overspray). Just mask up la few of the large or difficult areas if you are worried, or they are vulnerable, even use cardboard shield held by hand. If you get paint on something like wiring, plug wire etc, you can wipe it off readily. Methylated spirits,or maybe turps, I think works well, or some other simple solvent. I detailed motorbikes for several years for a motorbike shop, and detailed some cars I bought to resell. It is easy to do and gives a great lift to the engine bay.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Aus56
Spraying an engine with spray cans is not hard, (or spray gun but more overspray). Just mask up la few of the large or difficult areas if you are worried, or they are vulnerable, even use cardboard shield held by hand. If you get paint on something like wiring, plug wire etc, you can wipe it off readily. Methylated spirits,or maybe turps, I think works well, or some other simple solvent. I detailed motorbikes for several years for a motorbike shop, and detailed some cars I bought to resell. It is easy to do and gives a great lift to the engine bay.
Thanks Neville. I have a few weeks to decide how to do this.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Merry Christmas update

Well, I have nothing new to add, except that I found the Ford Red engine paint from Duplicolor at a local NAPA.

Supposed to be good up to 500 degrees (intermittently). I sure hope that little 226 never gets anywhere near 500 degrees...

Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have nothing new to add, except that I found the Ford Red engine paint from Duplicolor at a local NAPA.

Supposed to be good up to 500 degrees (intermittently). I sure hope that little 226 never gets anywhere near 500 degrees...

Here's wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Hi, if you are worried about overspray, you can spread cloth or newspaper around vulnerable areas. I find a cardboard shield, and maybe sometimes a bit of rag around a tight or vulnerable area is fine. Before you start you could work out what will wipe overspray off wires, plug leads etc if necessary. That way you can do so quickly and painlessly. You will be fine. Anyway, just try a little easy area to get your hand in, if you don't feel good about it, you are only out the cost of a spray can.

Cheers, and all the best. I always enjoy reading this post, I hope I don't end up feeling guilty now. Just joking, you will be fine, and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Aus56
Hi, if you are worried about overspray, you can spread cloth or newspaper around vulnerable areas. I find a cardboard shield, and maybe sometimes a bit of rag around a tight or vulnerable area is fine. Before you start you could work out what will wipe overspray off wires, plug leads etc if necessary. That way you can do so quickly and painlessly. You will be fine. Anyway, just try a little easy area to get your hand in, if you don't feel good about it, you are only out the cost of a spray can.

Cheers, and all the best. I always enjoy reading this post, I hope I don't end up feeling guilty now. Just joking, you will be fine, and Merry Christmas.
Thanks again Neville.

I guess one of my New Years resolutions is going to be painting that engine...

Actually, I'm looking forward to getting it done. Because that will get me started back working on the truck. I haven't done much lately, and I need to get some work done before the next parade! It's driveable as it sits, but I need to make some more changes to the bed before the parade.

I'm actually thinking about driving Betsy to Christmas dinner at a friend's house this year.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm actually thinking about driving Betsy to Christmas dinner at a friend's house this year.
Drive her, Joe, Drive her
Merry Christms

Old 12-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
I agree with Ray, drive her. I have been stagnant on my truck as well. Life really gets in the way. I can't wait to see your updates on painting.
I've seen pictures of engines painted while in the truck, but I never can find the in process pictures. Keep us updated.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Your engine painting will come out great!
I'm with the others....drive her to dinner. I say this because I walk by my truck at least twice daily while it sits there in the driveway. I haven't started it in ages. Like Harrier, I'm a bit stagnant on my truck lately so I have to live vicariously through the rest of you guys.

Merry Christmas
Bobby

Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
OK I did it...

We were invited to Christmas dinner by some old friends, but Kathy had to work today (sucks).

Since they still wanted me to come to dinner (I said they were friends) I decided to drive Betsy to their house. The drive was uneventful. There was no traffic. I guess everyone was already at their Christmas destination. All the guys wanted to check out the truck. They couldn't believe I still want to do more to her... that was a nice thought. But I have more plans.

When I left their house, I contacted my son and agreed to his earlier invitation to come over and smoke a stogie and drink some scotch on the patio next to the fire pit.

Bottom line... it was a fun day even though I got to spend very little of Christmas day with my favorite person. And Betsy performed admirably, so this is not really off topic.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day with family and friends.

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:24 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
You, Betsy, & your son sitting around the fire pit drinking Scotch - doesn't get any better than that!

Ben in Austin (New Orleans this week).
1950 F1

Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Joe, It sounds like you made the best of the day. Too bad Kathy had to work.
My wife and 10 year old are both sick, so they couldn't leave the house yesterday. My niece and her 3 kids are sick too. So none of the cousins were able to get together yesterday. It was very quiet over at my in-laws. It was still a relatively nice day though.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Joe,
You, Betsy, & your son sitting around the fire pit drinking Scotch - doesn't get any better than that!

Ben in Austin (New Orleans this week).
1950 F1
Yes Ben, it was a good time. He was showing me some of the things I need to learn about building an AR from the lower I got for Christmas.

Originally Posted by Harrier
Joe, It sounds like you made the best of the day. Too bad Kathy had to work.
My wife and 10 year old are both sick, so they couldn't leave the house yesterday. My niece and her 3 kids are sick too. So none of the cousins were able to get together yesterday. It was very quiet over at my in-laws. It was still a relatively nice day though.
My son's wife was sick last night too. Way too much of that going around the country right now. Seems like more people are getting sick this winter than usual. Must be global warming, climate change or maybe the weather... I'm sure if it was coming from millions of illegals crossing the border, the government would tell us.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:14 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, Joe ya have like 7 duplicate pic's of you
and Betsy in your album. What happened? Did
your camera trigger hang up on ya.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Wow, Joe ya have like 7 duplicate pic's of you
and Betsy in your album. What happened? Did
your camera trigger hang up on ya.
Thanks for pointing that out.

No, I only posted the pic there one time. I have no idea how it was duplicated. Maybe when everyone was talking about being unable to view their albums, something weird happened to the pics?

Anyway, I was able to delete all but one of that pic from the album.

Thanks again. I very rarely look at those pics.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:34 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's all good Joe. I was just trying to be funny.
I am not to well today so my funny button ain't
up to par. But FTE is good medicine. Truck looks
great. And I am so glad you drive her when ya
want. So many just blow them apart with plans to
do so much. Than slowly watch them rust and parts
walk away. And never finish them. Get them to drive
and stop. Than work on them while ya use them. To me
that is the fun of this hobby.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project