1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Joe -
I used POR paint - it has only been about a year but it has handled all the real use thrown at it. Hasn't scratched, doesn't hold dirt, cleans up easily, and should be UV stable.

DW

Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Joe,
We used a spray on liner product called "Toff". I just didn't want to worry about them - tough as nails. We also did the inside of the bed & the interior of the cab.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Ladies and Gentlemen! We have a Winner!

Ben, these are the pics I was talking about earlier and where I got the idea to use a bed liner on the RBs. Thanks for posting them again.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
Here are a couple shots of the RBs on Blue and Missy Green. Both these truck get used and the boards get stepped on. MG has been in use for a couple years and Blue for six months.
How dare you use these historic vehicles as trucks!

So you think it's a good idea too. I'm going to do it.

Now get ready for a laugh. I went out today to get started on this and figured since the Herculiner has been sitting for a few months, I should shake the can like I would with paint to start the mixing process. I turned it upside down last night to get the particles off the bottom where they've been resting. It's a small can and I shook it really well. Then I turned it back over and saw this warning sticker on the can! DOH!

Name:  Herculiner.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  155.7 KB

How long do you suppose I'm going to have to wait to open it now?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Joe -
I used POR paint - it has only been about a year but it has handled all the real use thrown at it. Hasn't scratched, doesn't hold dirt, cleans up easily, and should be UV stable.

DW

Those look good. Your truck sure looks nice.

If it wasn't so danged hot here for most of the year, I might paint Betsy black.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Bedliner looks to be a great option. Hurry up and get them painted so we can see what they look like on Betsy.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Bedliner looks to be a great option. Hurry up and get them painted so we can see what they look like on Betsy.
Oh I get it... you want me to hurry up and pop that can open...

Not happening today... maybe tomorrow...

Old 10-07-2014, 03:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I was sure you were going to say you went to shake the can and it was solidified after sitting for a couple months. Shaking just puts bubbles in the goo, give it an hour or two. No slacking off just because you're a free man now!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I was sure you were going to say you went to shake the can and it was solidified after sitting for a couple months. Shaking just puts bubbles in the goo, give it an hour or two. No slacking off just because you're a free man now!
Weren't you the guy that told him to take things easy?

By the way Joe, Ross is correct. Get to work, we want to see the running boards looking all new and fancy.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Now fellas, let's not be too hasty.

I know you want to see the pretty running boards and I'm sure you're mostly concerned about my well-being and appearance.

You'd never tempt me to open that can of goo while it's still under pressure so my next pic would be me at the ER getting bed liner out of my eyes.

But you'll just have to wait.

Since I'm an old retired guy now, I'm not in that big of a hurry to pop the top on that can. I see now why they have those black clips on the lid...

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There shouldn't be any pressure inside, those clips are just for shipping. Rust Encapsulator comes with them too.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
There shouldn't be any pressure inside, those clips are just for shipping. Rust Encapsulator comes with them too.
I hope you're right. But it's going to wait another day anyway.

I agreed to help out with some work at the council Boy Scout camp tomorrow. It's a 3 hour round trip and I probably won't leave there until dark, So Betsy will wait until Thursday.

Anyway, I've been retired for a week now. I'm getting the hang of it.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:40 AM
speedyweasel
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I hope you're right. But it's going to wait another day anyway.

I agreed to help out with some work at the council Boy Scout camp tomorrow. It's a 3 hour round trip and I probably won't leave there until dark, So Betsy will wait until Thursday.

Anyway, I've been retired for a week now. I'm getting the hang of it.
I wondered how long it would take before somebody suckered you back into Scouts. We need some help with that veterans benefit dinner for which you volunteered me a while back. Just saying...

And the running boards will look great with the bedliner. I'd like to see how that goes on anyway. I have 5 quarts of it to apply to the rear half of the interior of the Bronco, so I'd prefer to learn from your experience before I screw up mine.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
OT the Moving Wall

Well, you'll have to wait another day now. This free time keeps getting in the way of working on Betsy.

Today, the Moving Wall Vietnam Memorial opened for display in Temecula. Since I've only ever seen the Wall in pics, we went to view the opening ceremony and the Wall. Lots of brother vets there.

If you've never seen it, you should. Now I want to see the real one in Washington DC. Over 58,000 heroes listed there. As one speaker put it, "They gave their tomorrows so you could have your todays."

I can't say anything more about it.

Here's the first and last panel...

Name:  Moving Wall start.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  467.4 KB

Name:  Moving Wall end.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  463.4 KB

Old 10-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've never seen it, you should. Now I want to see the real one in Washington DC. Over 58,000 heroes listed there. As one speaker put it, "They gave their tomorrows so you could have your todays."

Joe, I was fortunate to visit Washington and that area of memorials to servicemen is indeed impressive. I thought the idea of a hole in the grounc with the names on the wall sounded unusual, but it is indeed moving even to an Aussie. At the end of that is a trio of statues together which we were told is another Vietnam tribute for those who do not like the Wall itself.

Just near there is a group of statues commemorating the Korean servicemen, looks like a patrol moving through the area. Next to that is a dark wall with, well it looks like ghosts looking out through the wall, it is impressive, and is the second world war memorial. The whole area is quite moving. Hope you get to visit it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Aus56

Joe, I was fortunate to visit Washington and that area of memorials to servicemen is indeed impressive. I thought the idea of a hole in the grounc with the names on the wall sounded unusual, but it is indeed moving even to an Aussie. At the end of that is a trio of statues together which we were told is another Vietnam tribute for those who do not like the Wall itself.

Just near there is a group of statues commemorating the Korean servicemen, looks like a patrol moving through the area. Next to that is a dark wall with, well it looks like ghosts looking out through the wall, it is impressive, and is the second world war memorial. The whole area is quite moving. Hope you get to visit it.
Thanks Neville. We plan to visit all the memorials in DC one day in the not too distant future. I did not realize all those you mentioned exist.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project