Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2014, 05:14 PM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
A nap after lunch is a prerequisite, BTW...
You talked me into it...

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 09-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Henry got it right...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
I think one of my next projects for Betsy will be replacing the two front tires which show some sidewall cracks from age and/or sitting in the sun.

I found these searching the web. Has anyone ever heard of or used these tires?

Sears sells them... Geostar G850 8R19.5... and they're cheap compared to the big names at $185 each. Gonna go out on a limb here and guess they're Chinese manufactured.

When I first found them online, Sears was offering free shipping. That's not shown on their site any longer.

Geostar G650 Premium Highway - 8R19.5 F/12 TL 124/122M BSW - Automotive - Tires & Wheels - Tires - Specialty Tires

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
"You get to post the first review, you lucky dog you." -- LOL
Old 09-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to behold
I haven't come across them Joe, but will go out on a limb and suggest that you'll never wear them out. What do you expect to clock in a year, maybe 1000 miles? Probably less. I'd say cheaper is good. Stu
'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Joe, I think you'll find most of these tires are made in China now.
FWIW, I have an independent truck tire dealer close here who happens to be a car truck buff. He fell in love with Missy Green and when I was shopping for tires for Blue he told me about Sampson tires. He said he sells lots of them and has had very few complaints. When I was about to order new Sampsons he told me about some take offs from a fleet of roll backs where the owner wanted new tires on all his trucks before the end of last year. He had a couple 225/70 R19.5 that had a 2012 build date and looked very good, no cupping, no breaks or cuts. He guaranteed they would balance out good. So, I put a couple of them on the front and am satisfied with them. Like Stu said, you will never wear any of them out.
This is not an endorsement, just my satisfaction with the product and making you aware of them.
8R19 5 New GL283A All Position 12 PR Truck and RV Tire 8x19 5 8 19 5 8195 Radial | eBay
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
"You get to post the first review, you lucky dog you." -- LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdog62563 View Post
I haven't come across them Joe, but will go out on a limb and suggest that you'll never wear them out. What do you expect to clock in a year, maybe 1000 miles? Probably less. I'd say cheaper is good. Stu
Yeah, my thinking on this is that driving less than 1,000 miles a year on any 12 ply tires rated load range F and with 1/2" of tread and a max speed of 81 mph will work at that price.

But I don't have that spare change just yet, so I'm just shopping. They are substantially cheaper than anything else I've found in that size.

I do have a like-new 8R19.5 spare tire/rim that I could use and just buy one tire but I measured it at a hair over 33" tall, and these are listed as 33.82" tall. That probably wouldn't matter but I think I'd like them to match and keep that one as my spare.

My rear tires are all near-new 225/70 R19.5 which are an inch shorter than the front tires. I figure I don't need a spare that size since I have 4 of them already.

And on a side note, I took Betsy for a spin yesterday and recorded a new land speed record (for her). 53 mph folks! Yes, I yelled WooHoo as I was slowing down... I think I found the only smooth mile-long secluded stretch of street in Riverside... Victoria Avenue. And the speed was recorded for later viewing by my GPS phone app, not the uncalibrated speedometer which probably indicated I was doing 40.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Joe, I think you'll find most of these tires are made in China now.
This is not an endorsement, just my satisfaction with the product and making you aware of them.
8R19 5 New GL283A All Position 12 PR Truck and RV Tire 8x19 5 8 19 5 8195 Radial | eBay
The link shows it has been removed?

But thanks for the info. I've seen lots of Samson ads in my search.

And my neighbor's son sells Goodyear. He told me to talk to him when I get ready to buy tires. Maybe I could get an employee discount.

EDIT: I just searched for Samson 8R19.5s again and see some for $138!
Samson GL283A 8R19.5 Tires for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

Thanks Ray!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Posting Guru

edsf100 has a very good reputation on FTE.edsf100 has a very good reputation on FTE.edsf100 has a very good reputation on FTE.edsf100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Looking good Joe. I know you will have some more time to finish in the next few weeks.. Hope to see this truck at the Western Nationals when you are done. Ed

www.pickupslimited.com
Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsf100 View Post
Looking good Joe. I know you will have some more time to finish in the next few weeks.. Hope to see this truck at the Western Nationals when you are done. Ed
Thanks Ed. Yeah, I have that on my bucket list.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Henry got it right...

Well, I just drove Betsy to a rental place to get some folding chairs for a shindig tonight.

I discovered another problem I'm going to have to fix before I drive her again.

The new spring I put on the gas pedal linkage got hung up on something in the floorboard when I tapped the gas to shift into 3rd gear. So picture me trying to unstick that while driving down the street and the engine over revving.

Everything's OK luckily, but it scared the holy you know what out of me.

Guess I know what I'll be doing next on the truck. The shop is full of tables and chairs for the shindig, and it's already 95 in the driveway and headed for 104. So this won't get looked at until tomorrow morning when it's cooler.

This never happened before I "fixed" the gas pedal linkage. Any idea what might be hanging it up? I think it's the remnants of the original boot.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:58 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
If the piece that comes thru the firewall/floorboard has been bent at all, the spring can hang up on the edges of the hole. I was amazed at the difference in throttle action after I took my whole bellcrank off and cleaned out the crud, oiled and straightened it.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
If the piece that comes thru the firewall/floorboard has been bent at all, the spring can hang up on the edges of the hole. I was amazed at the difference in throttle action after I took my whole bellcrank off and cleaned out the crud, oiled and straightened it.
That must be it. Thanks Ross.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Roast em' if you got 'em

bobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to beholdbobbytnm is a splendid one to behold
Good luck getting that fixed. You definitely don't want to have that happen again (although, when it does, remember that you can always kill the ignition)

Bobby
1967 Jeepster Commando
1994 Harley Road King
Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Henry got it right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
Good luck getting that fixed. You definitely don't want to have that happen again (although, when it does, remember that you can always kill the ignition)

Bobby
Yes, that's what I did the second time it happened. Held in the clutch, turned the key off and coasted until I could get the spring free. Then I restarted her and came home.

I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, but I noticed the spring looks like it's bent. I'll take pictures if my fix idea works.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
postin' fool

Do you have the "stop bolt" under the gas pedal?
Old 09-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire