Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50trucking View Post
Why don't you remove some of the spring leaves? Whith what u are doing with Betsy, u don't need those heavy springs.
Yes, that's been discussed before. I will never load her up to use the overload springs and probably could do without some of the others as well. I certainly don't intend to ever have the 5,000 pound payload she was built to handle.

But Betsy is an F4, and I have no intention of lowering the height. I like climbing up into the cab. She sits higher than, or at least as high as, a lot of the lifted newer 4x4s passing me on the street. I say passing me because I'm always the slowest vehicle around.

One day after I retire, I may get around to removing all four sets of leaf springs and refurbishing them. But I'm not looking forward to that job. When I do that, it will most likely be because I have decided to swap the stock Ford 5.14:1 rear end for a Dana 70 so I can have higher top end speed. It would then make sense to overhaul the suspension since it will have to come out anyway. That would probably include a transmission change as well. But since I know of no swap for the F4 front end which has no shocks and a straight axle, I'm not in a hurry to do any of that. And that job may very well be beyond my skill level.

I am still getting used to the bounce instead of jolt after lowering the tire pressure. I don't want or expect Betsy to ride like an F1 or a newer truck. If I wanted that kind of ride, I'd buy a different truck.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
Dropping the pressures in the rear to 30 probably wouldn't hurt a thing, and could improve the ride even more. It's just a matter of playing with it and seeing how far you can go. Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure. I'd do it if it was me.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
Dropping the pressures in the rear to 30 probably wouldn't hurt a thing, and could improve the ride even more. It's just a matter of playing with it and seeing how far you can go. Nothing to be afraid of, that's for sure. I'd do it if it was me.
I plan to run them at 35 psi for a while and see how I like it. I really don't mind a little bounce, but I don't want to ride a Brahman bull (real or mechanical).

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Better still

I recently replaced my king pins and bushings which corrected a great deal of the steering wander going down the road.

Yesterday I was again reading this thread with Chuck's (AXracer) great explanation:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ing-gauge.html

and decided to check my toe adjustment again. I didn't set it after the king pin replacement. I just didn't turn the tie rod while it was off.

Well, that was a mistake as I had about 1/2" of toe-out. I corrected the adjustment, repacked the tie rod end with grease, and took Betsy for a spin in the morning work traffic (ugh). It was one of the most pleasant drives so far, as the steering wheel now stays put (mostly). I still have a little slop so I'll have to check on the steering box, but what a pleasant surprise!

And I awoke at 5:00 thinking about this adjustment and my headlight adjustment, which I noticed the other night was way off. I have only rarely driven at night (twice) and saw as I was pulling up to my garage door that my right light was pointing about two feet higher than the left.

So, since it was still dark and still cool outside, I adjusted the headlights according to the Shop Manual (sort of).

It has been a really good day so far. I think I'll go to the shooting range. Maybe I'll drive Betsy there...

Old 08-29-2014, 11:00 AM
tractorman

tractormanbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Calif. pretty strict on gun laws like the North East of not?
TractormanBill
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractormanbill View Post
Calif. pretty strict on gun laws like the North East of not?
TractormanBill
California is getting worse every day. They just approved another bill in the House yesterday without debate.

But I can still shoot at the local range without breaking any laws. I don't have a CCW permit and would probably never be able to get one in Riverside County. I keep hoping the law makers here will someday read the Constitution, but I'm starting to think I need to move or become a criminal by default.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Joe, Joe, Joe, You're going to have to slow down or you'll have nothing to do when you retire. How many days, hours, sec? When you get my way, we'll just walk out on the deck and shoot or shoot from the shop. All safe and legal.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Joe, Joe, Joe, You're going to have to slow down or you'll have nothing to do when you retire. How many days, hours, sec? When you get my way, we'll just walk out on the deck and shoot or shoot from the shop. All safe and legal.
Sounds good Ray. I look forward to meeting you some day.

32 days, 775 hours, 46,535 minutes, 2,792,100 seconds.

But of those 32 days, I'll only be working 16, So that's my number now.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM
tractorman

tractormanbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
As most know Texas laws are pretty loose on guns but nobody drives around with gun racks in the rear window of their trucks anymore. Probably because they would get stolen!
I've had a CC permit for probably 15 years and have more guns than I can count.
TractormanBill
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Heed Ray's advice, Joe! I made the same mistake, I even kept track of what I accomplished the first couple months I was retired. BIG mistake! Wrong attitude.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Posting Guru

Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.Chicago Fire Patrol has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Joe congrats on your upcoming retirement. Only 16 more days thats awesome. More time to work on the truck! I'm glad to see you making more progress on Betsy! I would like to rebuilt the front end on my truck one day. I bought King pins a few years ago and recently have been looking at a set of tie rod ends for $22 on eBay. I probably should pick the pair up.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Fire Patrol View Post
Hey Joe congrats on your upcoming retirement. Only 16 more days thats awesome. More time to work on the truck! I'm glad to see you making more progress on Betsy! I would like to rebuilt the front end on my truck one day. I bought King pins a few years ago and recently have been looking at a set of tie rod ends for $22 on eBay. I probably should pick the pair up.
Thanks Keith. Yes Betsy will be one of the things on my retirement plate.

I got my tie rod ends from RockAuto.com. I think they were $17.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractormanbill View Post
As most know Texas laws are pretty loose on guns but nobody drives around with gun racks in the rear window of their trucks anymore. Probably because they would get stolen!

TractormanBill
That's funny about the gun racks because I just bought one to put in my truck. My dad always had one in his 65 F100, and it's kinda nostalgic for me.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Every day is Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Heed Ray's advice, Joe! I made the same mistake, I even kept track of what I accomplished the first couple months I was retired. BIG mistake! Wrong attitude.
Yeah I hear you Ross. I started making up a Bucket List today of the things I would like to do since I will no longer be away from home every stinking week. They are things I've wanted to do for a long time but couldn't because I was gone.

I plan to enjoy retirement. I've been working for 50 years and 40 have been with the same company. It's time to do what I feel like doing instead of what I have to do.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
A nap after lunch is a prerequisite, BTW...
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 51, f4, ford, horn, motor, nyc, parts, signals, towing, truck, trucks, turn, wheels, wire