1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on COMPLICATED truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
995.4SD
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on COMPLICATED truck purchase

Ok, so I am in the Navy currently in Afghanistan and looking at buying a truck. I am currently truckless (makes me wonder how anyone can do it their whole life), and I am on the hunt for a 99-03 7.3L 6 speed 4X4. After a few weeks of looking for this rare breed, I found one in Florida. It spent it's whole life there, all pictures look good, very little rust underneath. The owner died last year and now wife is trying to sell it for son's tuition. Everything checks out, carfax, oasis, the only thing is I haven't looked at it. I know there are tons of people who buy cars off ebay and wherever else without physically looking at it, but how can I be sure about it?

It has 139k miles, she said the transmission was replaced 2 years ago (not sure of the mileage). It was only used to tow a small trailer every once in a while, no 5th wheel or gooseneck hitch. Everything else is "mechanically sound" according to the owner. I wish I had a buddy in the area to check it out just so I could get that warm and fuzzy. The only other option I can think of is to set up an inspection at a diesel shop near her and hope the mechanic looks for everything he/she should (turn key to on and check for all lights on dash. check under oil cap for crudd, etc.)

I will be back in the states in the beginning of October, which she isn't too fond of waiting until then. I don't really blame her, with a rare setup like that she could sell the truck in two weeks tops.

From what she knows, besides the levelling kit, the truck is stock and was well taken care of by her husband.

What do you guys suggest? Do I take the risk of buying something I haven't seen? Trust a shop I don't know to inspect it? Throw me some ideas and hopefully some peace of mind.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:51 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all thanks for your service!

I would hope that someone on the board lives nearby and can go and check this out for you.
Where in FL is it?

Buying vehicles sight unseen can be risky. I would not do it if you didn't have to.

Can anyone in FL help this guy out??

Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM
995.4SD
Tuned
Truck is located in North Port, FL. about 45 minutes north of Ft. Myers, FL.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Pili
Senior User
I know where that its but i cant help you i'm too far north. Make a thread in the FL chapter forum and see if anyone is close by. North port is in between Venice and Port Charlotte. Lots of red necks and Super Dutys down there

Old 08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

If you HAVE to do it this way...see if she'd be willing to have a local shop inspect it.

If I were you...I would wait until you get back. I wouldn't buy a vehicle without getting a chance to look it over. Having been in your boat (I deployed five times) and given what you've said...I don't see why you're in such a rush to pick something up now. Wait until you get back stateside, pay for a rental car for a couple weeks (if you have to), and find something while you're on R&R. Besides...if you buy something now, you're paying for a vehicle (insurance, storage, etc.) that you won't even be able to operate until October. Just my $.02.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:23 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I like the truck. I always wanted a black truck. Your best bet would be to have a member of the forum here check it out for you, or you could leave the seller with a deposit to show that you are serious. She would, however, be told that the deposit would have to be refunded if you had it checked out and didn't buy it. I don't really care for the wheel/tire combo and I don't like how the front of the truck is higher than the rear, but otherwise I like it. The 7.3/manual/4x4/black is a rare combo to find. I would not buy for $15K, but closer to $13K. Good luck!!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 AM
995.4SD
Tuned
Good searching skills JC, I don't care for the wheels either, or the slightly higher front end, especially since i'll be towing, but we'll see what the rear spring setup is. It can probably be levelled out pretty easy. We were able to agree on having her hold it with a deposit that will be credited to the payment once I get back. If I can find someone on here willing to check it out I will go that route, or set up something with a local shop before I give a down payment.

The only reason I am in a rush for this truck is it's really not easy to find this setup for sale with less than 200k miles, and if you are lucky enough to find one with less than 200k it's probably a northern truck with frame rot (found plenty of these). I have been searching all over the U.S. hoping to find a southern truck or a no salt area like seattle. California would have been ideal because I have plenty of family there but it seems like California isn't a big "manual transmission" state, very hard to find them there. So when I came across this truck in FL with no rust and under 150k, I know I won't find a truck like that every day. I do hear what you're saying about the storage, insurance, and payments without actually having it, but in the scheme of things it's worth it for 2 months.

We haven't talked deposit price yet, but the first number that popped into my head was $500. Does that seem reasonable to you guys? This would only be given after the inspection, of course.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:35 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I posted a link to this thread over in the 99-03 7.3L forum. Hopefully one of the guys down that way can help you out!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10691552

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 AM
995.4SD
Tuned
Thanks Twags, I also posted it in the FL forum, hopefully i'll get a bite.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:03 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I like the 08-10 front end, so I did a search for the kind of truck I want: XL, reg cab, 4x4, PSD, manual, manual transfer case, vinyl bench seat, and the black bumpers/grill and sealed beam headlights, NOT in white. Not a single one. I found a nice blue one in Virginia that had everything except the sealed beam headlights and black bumpers. That one is nice. I really want a black truck. I would love to find a black XL as described above, but very difficult.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:49 PM
sandmanf250
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
northport fla

former navy destroyerman,thanks for you taking over. my brother is a very knowlegable truck dealer and lives in northport.only problem is he's coming to new york on the 15th,but returning to northport on the 20th. i can probobly get him to look at it when he gets back. i'm a little bit worried why a 6 speed would go bad pulling that little bit of weight.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like it's well in hand.

Otherwise I'd advise "HELL NO UNTIL I GET HOME"

BRAVO ZULU ALL VETS

By the way - the front springs under a 7.3 would be my concern. That's one heck of a heavy engine

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As someone who has bought and sold vehicles long distance a few times I can only offer this advice: it ain't the only one they ever made. Yes it may well be a good deal, but unless you or someone you really trust can physically see and drive the truck, I'd pass and hope it's still there when I get there. Remember that sellers want to sell the truck, period. I have been successful more than I have been burned, but it only takes one $15,000 mistake to be sorry for a long time. If it's meant to be, it'll still be there when you get home, if not try using a search like allofcraigs.com - Search ALL of Craigslist it actually searches all of craigslist for the whole US, so if you don't mind a plane ticket and driving your new truck back, it works. Hey, I bought mine in Utah and flew there and drove it 1,000 miles home all in under 48 hrs! It was a lot of fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat! Good luck!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealers usually offer truck inspection for about $150. I think that would be money well spend in this situation.
Dealers usually overdue the inspection and will come with list on items that "need attention" with attached 4 digits estimate, what actually might help in negotiating the price. Good luck

Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you wanting a super cab or crew cab? Short or long bed?

I found a few out west where you don't have to worry about rust.

This is my pick, but this, this, this, this, or this might work for you.

I bought my truck long distance, but I was fortunate to have a brother in the town where the truck was. He did an up close inspection and drove it for me.

Quick Reply: Need help on COMPLICATED truck purchase