Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ozzie battery options

Anyone got any recommendations for F250 batteries?

Went to start my truck today and the batteries gave up. Checked electrolyte level, and charged for an hour, only got to 11v then dropped to 9v after an attempted start. I'd guess they've both gone south so I'm off in the missus car to buy two tomorrow. She wasn't too happy about me using her car, but she's got no choice cause I'm on horse float pulling duty on Sunday

From a search around the net it looks like I'm going to be up for $250 a pop for something decent.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
I got a pair of Super Charge MF65's 800CCA $195 each
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
Couldn't find those. Ended up with a pair of Besco-Century batteries - they reckoned they were the best, cost me $248 each, perfect fit. The hint from 'The Battery Factory' was to have the batteries on a smart trickle charge system if not using the vehicle daily - which I don't. I think the -8 temps down here really finished off the old batteries.

I'll rig up a trickle feed and have my own plug-in F250 here in Oz.
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
I mounted a forklift style plug out the bottom of the front grill which goes to battery #1 for when the truck is sitting:
Click the image to open in full size.

That way if I am an idiot and forget to unplug it, it will just snap free and no damage done.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Posting Guru

They're called Anderson Plugs over here. I've got one under the rear bumper, but the dual battery system - added by the PO - isolates the plug when the main batteries go below 12v. I've now rigged up a Ctek charger into the 12v dash outlet and run the lead into the garage.

Those batteries I picked up are rated at 750 CCAs each.

All the funny gremlins - like false alarms from the burglar alarm, slow window and roller winding, and long starts - were all cast off with the old batteries
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 PM
New User

FJB_6989 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As for batteries, my truck has two Caterpillar ones rated at 1000 CCAs each. Caterpillar are open 24/7 for parts and they were less than $200.00 each. The beauty is you get a 5 (FIVE) year warranty in a 4x4 and six years in a 2wd. No other battery comes close.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB_6989 View Post
As for batteries, my truck has two Caterpillar ones rated at 1000 CCAs each. Caterpillar are open 24/7 for parts and they were less than $200.00 each. The beauty is you get a 5 (FIVE) year warranty in a 4x4 and six years in a 2wd. No other battery comes close.
thats a good price for 5yr warranty. I will look at Cat next time.
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 AM
Posting Guru

Really good tip there! Cat batteries ! Wish I'd known that at the time!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Senior User

xran is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chinstrike
the Cat batts on the boat are 1200cca and have the same warranty out here. Only problem is we're on our 3rd complete set (2 banks of 24V for radios, 24V emerg, 24V starters for 3x C18's and 24V each for 3516's) in 2yrs. That has to be getting expensive for Cat!!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter