6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Those that lab test their oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Those that lab test their oil...

Does anyone have a real-world example of a lab test on their oil leading to a diagnosis of an issue before a big problem? I always have heard it is a good idea and that it will show if something is wearing or there is some weird issue, but I haven't actually heard of someone catching a sample and that leading to a repair before failure. This doesn't have to be entirely the 6.7's, but if someone does have an example of that please post up

If there are any Ford/International (F250-F550) examples you have - how did Ford handle the diagnosis? Was the input from your lab (whoever that may be, I know theres a few out there) credible in the eyes of your Ford dealer/service dept.? Ford rep? Engineering team?

The reason I ask is when I was at the dealer last I asked if Ford ever tests oil and the tech that I talked to said only if Ford requires it for a specific reason. This makes me question the credibility of an out-sourced lab test in the face of a problem. Maybe this is incorrect and there is more weight on an outside lab test (and I certainly won't stop doing it - good record keeping, I think), but the way I see it is if there was an engine problem that was pointed to after a lab test that Ford may still require a fresh sample and re-test. I have also heard that lab tests can vary based on the procedure the individual lab uses - in that the numbers attained are merely for comparison and to visualize trends. If the same sample went to 3 different labs you would get 3 different sets of numbers, but if you plot them all out they would show the same "picture" (IE - if a certain metal shows an increased rate all the tests' numbers would be different but they would all show the same "increase").

Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is at least one person on this forum (FTE) that was able to detect a major internal engine issue via testing his oil. You'll have to use the search or wait for someone else to find it for you.