Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Pretty sure some years with the FX4 package came with rancho branded shocks too. For around a $240 option you can't expect all the much.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Senior User

Benny76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Benny76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Oh yes, you're right. I forgot. And rancho shocks. But the limited slip being a the turd that I've heard it is really sucks. Especially since the stealership probably will be able to "duplicate the problem" to fix it under warranty.
2.5" front leveling kit. 5" rear blocks. Trackbar relocate bracket. Black Box with front /rear cameras. Fab Fours front winch bumper. Cover King neoprene seat covers. High Idle Mod. Bilstein 5100's. Rubber floor kit. CCV mod. HPOP fitting upgrade. ARP studs. TAM antitheft. New oil cooler w/ EGR delete. 4" turbo back w/ high flow Cat. SCT livewire w/ innovative tunes. Blue Spring. 6.4 Banjos.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
You will get a "working as designed" from the dealer more than likely. The diffs can usually be rebuilt with more preload on the clutchpack for better performance (less slip from the clutch pack) however that will reduce the life of the friction material. Plus until you have someone pull the old diff, rebuild it and reinstall it your better off just swapping in an aftermarket unit and done.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Senior User

Benny76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Benny76 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok, instead of starting a new thread I'm bumping this one to see what people think. I read an article on this L/S diff that says you can tear it apart and change the combination/ orientation of the axle clutch plates and the housing clutch plates, and maybe even add a few in there, to make this thing work. For the big price of 81 bucks plus axle seals. Has anyone heard of this or done it. Way cheaper than a new carrier. Here is the article I speak of. Ford limited slip rebuild
2.5" front leveling kit. 5" rear blocks. Trackbar relocate bracket. Black Box with front /rear cameras. Fab Fours front winch bumper. Cover King neoprene seat covers. High Idle Mod. Bilstein 5100's. Rubber floor kit. CCV mod. HPOP fitting upgrade. ARP studs. TAM antitheft. New oil cooler w/ EGR delete. 4" turbo back w/ high flow Cat. SCT livewire w/ innovative tunes. Blue Spring. 6.4 Banjos.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Post Fiend

In theory anyway, increasing the friction surface amount should increase the amount of force it takes to allow slippage of one wheel.

If you can do all the work yourself it would be something to experiment with. If you have to pay someone to do the work for you well....probably not. One of the main things I have against a clutch type diff with friction material is it contaminates the oil as the friction material wears. This spent material obviously gets into the oil and recirculated throughout the axle and into the bearings.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
In theory anyway, increasing the friction surface amount should increase the amount of force it takes to allow slippage of one wheel.

If you can do all the work yourself it would be something to experiment with. If you have to pay someone to do the work for you well....probably not. One of the main things I have against a clutch type diff with friction material is it contaminates the oil as the friction material wears. This spent material obviously gets into the oil and recirculated throughout the axle and into the bearings.
Ok that makes sense. I'm talking doing it myself. I do like the gear L/S better, however I haven't even gotten my exhaust yet and changing a diff means money and dusting off the pinion depth gauge and dial indicator, unless the TruTrac is EXACTLY the same specs as stock which I find hard to beleive. If I thought a TruTrak was a bolt in install using the factory backlash shims in the same spot and not having to reset the pinion depth and crush collar and all that I'd be all over it and put the exhaust off for a while. But the wife has me on a budget! I have to save for retirement or something like that!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Senior User

jmiley is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
my 06 has a whopping 10,000 miles and I know for a fact that my LS is pretty much dead already. When i got stuck over the weekend only the drivers rear tire was spinning. As previously mentioned, the F-150 LS is a much better unit. My 2006 was supercharged and the 9.75 axle with LS held up to tons of abuse from me on/off the road.

Tru-Trac replacement is my solution when I get new gears
On my truck the passenger rear is the one that normally has power and then when LS kicks in, the driver side rear will kick in.

I am pretty certain that is the way it works and is designed.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 AM