Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

goosehunta is starting off with a positive reputation.
what coolant to use

what anti freeze should i put in. i will be drainin the system to do some gaskits. dont want to go back with the motorcraft gold. i have a 06 explorer with 4.0 v6

High Idle Mod on #4
Whelen Strobes on #1
More to Come
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
dont matter which company makes it. the old stuff is green, the new stuff is yellow and lasts longer. DONT put anything orange in the radiator of a FORD. This guy has a good speak. REmember 50/50 premix dont take water to dilute it and it cost less to buy. Make sure you know which you are buying.

Types of Antifreeze | eHow.com
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
For an 2006 it must be ZEREX of Motorcraft Gold only sold in concentrate and about 14.00 a gallon at the parts store.

FYI All new fords come with orange coolant.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
ford390... are you sure the new antifreeze is "orange" or yellow- gold. Normally the orange refers to GM DEX-cool.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Senior User
Garage is empty, add now

goosehunta is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey guys sorry its taking me so long to get back in here. the reason i am asking about the coolant is because a few months ago i went to ford and had a flush done. after that, i was loosing water and looseing it fast. i had to add about a gal every 4days or so. the only leak i could at first was on the bottom of the rad. there are two places one on each side, they are oval in shape and water would drip from these places every now and then. not very much and not all the time. i couldnt pinpoint a pattern as far as temp or anything. then after a week or so i started seeing water on top of the block between the heads. but only when cold. when the engine was hot it would be dry. so i was thinking bad head gasket or a stretched head bolt. the engine didnt run over nnormal temp but one time, sitting in the drivethrue for 45 minutes one night. when i pulled out of the parking lot the temp gauge went up to hot but went right back down. so now i have the engine out and im replacing head gaskets, bolts, water pump, taking heads to shop to be checked and resurfaced and all other gaskets and seals on top end. also found alot of slack in timming chain so im replacing all of that too.
so i wanted to see if i should use a different coolant when i get it all put back together.

i wondered if the cooling system had some sort of stop leak in it from last owner or the dealer i got it from and then when i had the flush done it knocked some stuff loose.

what do you guys think.

thanks for the replies. and again im sorry it took so long to get back.

High Idle Mod on #4
Whelen Strobes on #1
More to Come
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

the new "yellow" takes the place of the old green.. do not use the orange Dex-Cool.
REad the post above about types of antifreeze..........

There are two types of antifreeze; one is called ethylene glycol, the other is called propylene glycol. Propylene glycol lasts about 150,000 miles and is used in most General Motors vehicles. Ethylene glycol and propylene glycol cannot mix. They are differentiated by their color. Coolant is color specific. If you have green coolant in your engine, you cannot and should not add orange coolant to it. Orange coolant is called Dex-Cool. It's an extended life coolant and has a different chemical composition than the green coolant.

Read more: Types of Antifreeze | eHow.com Types of Antifreeze | eHow.com
Old 05-09-2013, 02:52 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

ignis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can someone please tell me why you guys are recommending NOT using the orange Dex-Cool?

I've been using this in my 2002 Ford Explorer for about 5 years now. I do have a small leak that I'm going to tackle in a couple weeks, but I figured that was appropriate after 150,000 miles.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.
Because Ford says not to and GM made it. What more reason would you ever need?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Postmaster
2010 Lincoln MKT
My Garage

shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.shorod has a good reputation on FTE.
Even GM had issues with Dex-cool corroding gaskets and sealing surfaces, and that was on engines "designed" to work with Dex-Cool. Using it in an engine that was not specifically designed for the chemical composition is generally not a recommended practice. Not just with coolant, but other substances as well.

Kind of like small engines and ethanol fuel. Some folks run ethanol in their lawnmowers and snow blowers and never have an issue. Others end up with plugged carburetors, leaking hoses, and damaged engines from only a few tank fulls of ethanol fuels.

-Rod
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

webco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would Peaks Final Charge coolant be suitable for a 2003 f-150 with a 4.6L V8?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Postmaster
Garage is empty, add now

KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a good reputation on FTE.
You could always one up it and make the switch to Evan's Waterless Coolant. I just converted one of my vehicles, solves all of the problems with regular coolant.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

Peaks FInal is an organic acid technology antifreeze. That is an extended life "yellow" type antifreeze. It can be mixed with the old green without problems, but the "life" is reduced. YES-- It is fine to add yellow- OAT- extended life ethyl glycol type antifreeze (Peak Final) to your FORD.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
07, 2001, 2003, antifreeze, aviator, color, cool, coolant, dex, explorer, f100, ford, fords, mountaineer, need, sport, trucks