6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Should there be error codes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Big_E68
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should there be error codes???

Okay, I’ve searched the forum and haven’t seen this asked, but before I get to the question here is some background.

I have an ’08 F350 4x4 dually with about 45K on it which I use to tow my 35’ toy hauler (about 14K fully loaded). This past July I took the family to the Kern River for a little R&R. Out of L.A. I overheated on the way toward Palmdale (temp spike and loss of power). Not a big hill, but it was hot and I had the AC on so it didn’t bother me that much. However, the rest of the trip the problem kept re-occurring (big hills and little hills). It's fine on flat roads and without the trailer. Well I just got the chance to get it in to the dealer, and this is where the fun starts. They put it on the computer and tell me there are no error codes so basically they can’t do anything for me under warranty. So of course I call BS and say it’s got to by the t-stats or something. The tech is honest and says Ford won’t reimburse without an error code. I say okay, let me get a hold of Ford and see what they are going to do about this. Meanwhile, they did do a software update that just came out. So I pick up my truck this morning and go maybe 25 miles then the “wrench” (i.e. powertrain) icon shows on the dash. So I go immediately back to the dealer who then hooks his computer on it and, while the icon is still being displayed, it says no error codes.

So my question is what the heck is going on? Shouldn’t the truck have recorded 1) the overheating with a loss of power and 2) the wrench icon coming on?

This has been a great truck and, until recently, runs like a champ. It's made this exact trip before with no problems so this is definitely some kind of equipment failure, but with out codes were do they look.

Thanks in advance for your supportive feedback.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I think your issue is gonna be that you need new thermostats. Error code P00B7. With the new flash that is what should come up.

Best thing to do it get the wrench light to stay on and then you will have to code for sure.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Big_E68
New User
Originally Posted by senix
I think your issue is gonna be that you need new thermostats. Error code P00B7. With the new flash that is what should come up.

Best thing to do it get the wrench light to stay on and then you will have to code for sure.
That's what I would have thought, but the wrench icon was lit up and still no codes. Sounds like you're confirming that this shouldn't happen.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Dr. Rik
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
original failure

So my question is when you first had the problem, had you had the recall 11b23 already performed? i ask cause we had a truck that pull a very heavy trailer do almost the same cept it had coded a turbo overboost and derated the engine. we pushed the case and Ford admitted the software was flawed, so now there is a update to the 11b23 which changes the program to stop that. good luck

Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Big_E68
New User
Originally Posted by Dr. Rik
So my question is when you first had the problem, had you had the recall 11b23 already performed? i ask cause we had a truck that pull a very heavy trailer do almost the same cept it had coded a turbo overboost and derated the engine. we pushed the case and Ford admitted the software was flawed, so now there is a update to the 11b23 which changes the program to stop that. good luck
Thanks for replying. The dealer just did the 11b23 which I assume was the update you are referring (so after the overheating problem but before the "wrench" appeared). I've had all the previously required updates prefromed when they came out (I'm thinking this was the third maybe fourth).

Update - Dealer just called and informed my that the truck has 18 qts of oil and said that the oil expands in the crankcase over time, but if the oil is changed every 5,000 or 200 engine hrs. this wouldn't be a problem. I don't quite understand the increase in oil over time even with aeration during regen mode as the dealer tried to explain to me.

Dealer thinks that the software update is what triggered the wrench symbol and that it was becuase of the oil level. Dealer said it was 2-inches high on the dipstick (i guess that's where he is getting the 18 qts from (i.e. estimating)), but when I checked it when I was having the overheating problems it was maybe a quarter inch high at the most.

I don't run my truck hard except when towing which is only a couple times a year so I had been using the 10K oil change schedule as indicated in my truck manual (it's been about 7K since the last change). I'm new to the diesel engine so I guess I still have a lot to learn (that's why I read these boards).

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Yes the new programing is designed for the making of oil issue as well.

3 qts extra means that you most likely have an overfueling problem that needs to be explored.

That could be anything from leaking injectors to being stuck in regen mode too much. They'll figure it out.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Big_E68
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Yes the new programing is designed for the making of oil issue as well.

3 qts extra means that you most likely have an overfueling problem that needs to be explored.

That could be anything from leaking injectors to being stuck in regen mode too much. They'll figure it out.
Thanks. Nice to know.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
There definitely should be an error code if your wrench light is on, not sure why none are showing at your dealer. Something is definitely wrong with your truck though, remember that these trucks should NEVER overheat if everything is running correctly. A well-known pickup truck site recently did a comparison with the 2011 F350 and Silverado 3500, both pulling 19,000 lbs up to the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado. Wide-open throttle for over 8 minutes and neither truck overheated. If you ever overheat, regardless of circumstance, chances are that something is wrong.

Most of us also recommend 5,000 mile oil change intervals on the 6.4L engine. That's what I did with mine, and we do this to prevent fuel dilution during the regeneration cycle. While the oil may be technically capable of going 10,000 miles, it often accumulates enough fuel to cause problems.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Bounds-Electric
FORD USER

On the time of overheating did your cluch fan come on? You would have heard it mine sounds like a jet !

Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the IDS, it asks you what module you want to get DTCs out of. The "wrench" usually shows up in the instrument cluster module. If they looked in the pcm, yep, no codes!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Dr. Rik
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
extra oil

so far what we are finding is that when engine oil goes over the time frame it starts making oil. several things can cause this, yes regen can, fuel pump shaft seal, defective injector... had one return 3 times, finally discovered that once we ramped the fuel pressure up to 25,000 psi with the valve covers off i found a spray from the housing of one injector that once out was unable to determin its location. the fuel lines under the valve cover can leak. Im telling you this engine has so many built in problems it should never have been released to the public untill the issues were worked out. as far as codes i have found a check engine light on with no codes, however it was a 2011. It was a stock unit and once i upgraded the software it went away. my latest issue is a 2008 6.4 that has just gone thru its 3 set of thermostats in 6 thousand miles with no reason as to why. good luck with your issues

Old 08-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Big_E68
New User
Thanks guys for the replies, these are very helpful. And yes, the fan definitely comes on.

Update - They changed the oil last week and said I should road test it with a load. So I hooked up my trailer and within 25 miles the wrench indicator came on again. I took it back to the dealer this AM. On the way, my wife was following me and noticed that during my last big acceleration from stop the truck belched out a big black cloud (since I was making a left hand turn, I didn't see it). Not sure if this was the first time or not.

I’ll ask the dealer about whether they are checking the instrument cluster module or PCM for the error code. I’m underwhelmed by this dealer’s ability to do anything other than check for codes. Anyone with a recommendation for a really good mechanic in my area, I’d gladly take it.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big_E68
...said that the oil expands in the crankcase over time...
No one else picked up on that? I laughed my **** off when I read that...

Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Engine oil analysis will tell you much! I've said it before, but will say it again, I've never seen any fuel dilution (expansion or growing) of my engine oil. I have nine analysis reports on this engine with the longest of my change intervals being 8666 miles. I typically shoot for a 7500 mile change interval, but am not afraid to go beyond that if on the road away from home.

I do use a premium quality parasynthetic engine oil, Archer 15W-40 Gold. This oil is known to give greater piston ring seal than a good many. However, I have had changes of Motorcraft oil in the truck while on the road with the same stellar analysis result of no fuel in the sample.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:21 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see fuel dilution, but at very low, acceptable levels. My Blackstone reports are generally between 0.5% and <0.5% fuel dilution. I use M1 5W-40TD at 5k intervals, and I also use PM-22A with every fueling.