Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh818 View Post
I checked out Hedman's website and they don't have it for Excursion V10s. Only F250. I wonder if they're interchangeable? What's so different about 2002 Ex V10 vs 2002 F250 V10?
I'd they just never tested the fitment of the headers on an Ex. The SD was made in larger quanities for a longer peiod of time than the Ex so.... If it were my money I would buy a set and go from there. My gut tells me you will not run into any major issues. With a WB of 137" I'd say the Ex is built on a reg cab SD chassis. At least call Heddman.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Senior User

ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.
Quick update: I noticed I had a pretty good exhaust leak today on the way to work. So I crawled under at lunch and took a look. All the collector bolts were loose, and a nut was actually missing from each side. This is after I tightened them twice already. After a little inspection I realized that it was probably a poor decision on Hedman's part to ceramic coat the nuts and bolts, as the coating was flaking off the threads. So, I ran to the local hardware store and picked up a half a dozen tension nuts (crimp nuts) and installed them after work. Hopefully that's the end of the loose collector bolts.

Mods:
Hedman Hedders, Transgo Tugger, Heated mirrors, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000
Old 08-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Senior User

fgials is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is very nice! Can you tell the difference in sound and at the tires?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior User

During normal driving, as far as I can tell, there isn't really any difference in either the tone or volume of the exhaust out the tailpipe. Inside the cab, there may be a slightly lower overall tone to the combined engine/exhaust sound, and there may be a slight reduction in volume. But, honestly, it's really not that noticeable.

At this point, I'm trying to drive like I usually do to see if/how MPG's were effected, and that's been pretty difficult so far. I find myself tending to use too much right foot a lot of the time because it's so much easier to make this big ol' truck move now. Sure, it's no top fuel funny car. But allowing it to breathe better has really woken this thing up in all RPM ranges.

Mods:
Hedman Hedders, Transgo Tugger, Heated mirrors, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Post Fiend

AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
im drooling...i have a slight leak on my drivers side manifold where i'm missing 3 studs. been putting this off for awhile since it goes away once it gets any heat built up. i was going to just fix the studs but the idea of more power has me re-thinking that idea!

great writeup and pics!!!!!!
2011 F-150 Limited #3679 6.2 V8 4x4, Retrax bed cover, Husky mud flaps and wheel liners, HIDs, 35% tint
2002 Excursion Limited V10 4x4, 2.5/2" lift, HIDs,LEDs,20" DC wheels
1998 Expedition XLT 5.4 4x4,HIDs,16x8 ultra wheels,LEDs, HIDs
1991 F-250 lairat 4x4 5.0, 7'6" BOSS snow plow, Back Rack, Strobes, Work lights
Old 08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Looks like I might be doing this this weekend, my cheapo ebay headers, after 4 years, one broke right at the collector.
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Senior User

Sorry to hear about your ebay headers, Art. I don't remember... did you use header wrap?

Let us know how the install goes on the new headers. You might want to ditch the ceramic coated bolts right from the start. I think that coating is just too slick to keep them from loosening up. I haven't had any more issues with the collector bolts since I put the tension nuts on. I did keep the collector bolts, but most of the coating had already flaked off before I installed the new nuts.

Maybe you can take some better pics than I did. The iPhone doesn't do a very good job in low light.

Mods:
Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
I am definitely going to try to take pics of the install, but I thought you did a fine job!

Thanks for the tips

What bolts did they supply with them? Specifically, the ones to bolt them to the heads, and how did you like their gaskets? I have a habit of putting a coat of high-temp RTV on header gaskets, and have never ever had a header leak as long as I keep torquing the bolts for the first month or so.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, and the header cracked right at the weld just before the collector. They ground down the weld to make it look pretty, I guess it had too much snot, and they actually went too far, it looks like. I'll be sure to take pics of that, too
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Senior User

The manifold bolts that Hedman supplies are nothing special, just standard small-cap six-point header bolts. I've put a wrench on 'em a couple of times since the install and after the initial seating, they seem to be staying in place. I didn't use any sealer on the manifold gaskets, but it certainly couldn't hurt. The gaskets that they come with are a medium thickness fiber gasket, no steel.

I could have spent a few extra bucks and upgraded to locking header bolts and better manifold gaskets, but I figured I'd give the factory hardware a try first. I try not to spend extra money if I don't have to. Besides, I can always swap out the hardware later if it becomes an issue. So far, only the collector and CAT flange bolts have been an issue.

EDIT: Found a picture of the manifold gaskets on Hedman's website. It's part number 27580. The description on Summit's website says they are an acrylic bound paper gasket developed for Hedman. Take that for what it's worth.
Click the image to open in full size.

Mods:
Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that info, great stuff right there...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Senior User

Ridenred333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You did a good job with this. I really hope to beable to do this to my truck and add a 5 star. Continue to let us know how it goes. How or if there is any fuel mileage change, any other issue with bolts or anything of that nature..
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior User

ontariofarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ontariofarmer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
NICE, now I'm drooling.....they look AWESOME.

GREAT write up too.

I've always been a fan of Hedman
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Senior User

fgials is starting off with a positive reputation.
I need to do this to my baby!
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Senior User

Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.Mr-Pipeline has a good reputation on FTE.
With 3 weeks seat time...how about an update! Any change good/bad on fuel mileage? Any towing trips? I did the ebay headers with bad results and getting the itch to try again. I believe Headman headers are what Mike 5star used to perform his dyno testing!

2000 XLT F350 4x4 V10 CC SB 4.56LS, 06 E-series long block swap - 285/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T - Red-Head Steering Box - 5-Star Tuning - Warn Hubs - 05 heated tow mirrors - 2010 tailgate - 2007 front end conversion w/headlight relay's - Zone Off-Road Leveling kit - Autometer GS gauges - Ride Rite air bags - F650 dash w/uplifter switches -
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)

Tags
89666, ball, bolts, excursion, header, headers, hedman, illustration, install, pipe, socket, specs, tight, tighten, tube