Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Modular V10 (6.8l) SPONSORED BY:

Hedman Hedder install w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 PM
Junior User

toddb1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd recommend not buying them, although it was about $30 in parts it's a real time consumer. Should have built a jig!

Click the image to open in full size.

I misplaced my wideband plug so I'll have to clean up to find it
Old 07-31-2014, 08:25 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
If I where you I would have tried to weld as much as I could wile it the headers where in the vehicle. I know the passenger side would be a pain, but the drivers side would be easy.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 PM
Junior User

I welded the 3 to 2.5" reducers out of the truck so I could tig them. I fitted the pipe from the drivers side to y in the truck.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Junior User

90turbo1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
dang it, I just read this entire post and was about to pull the trigger on a set now I am not sure again.

here are some things I have noticed. the ball and socket collector is junk, that is known across the board from header mfg to mfg. I have seen this set up on some other headers (ford thunderbird S/C) comes to mind and they don't bolt the ball collector together that header brand used very heavy springs to pinch the collectors together with no bolts. that allows it to move and flex....

second thing I was wondering is on other trucks that use this style of exhaust routing there is a slip connector directly under the transmission. I was thinking this allows the system to expand and contract as needed. so my thought is....

could a person install a stainless flexpipe section directly under the transmiision area this will allow the exhaust to expand and contract and move if needed. Asians have been using this for ever and American car companies do not. we also do not see the broken bolts and such on Asian trucks so I am thinking it has a lot to do with the cooling and heating in exhaust system.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Junior User

I don't think it would help. Ball flanges work, even on the ebay headers I ran on the truck before without issue. The material is too thin and the cone that is formed from their design creates a hot spot since it's going from 3" to less than 2 on the ones I had. I haven't had any issues with mine since I did the slip tubes and that includes towing my toy hauler up the hills with the procharger.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 PM
Junior User

90turbo1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb1 View Post
I don't think it would help. Ball flanges work, even on the ebay headers I ran on the truck before without issue. The material is too thin and the cone that is formed from their design creates a hot spot since it's going from 3" to less than 2 on the ones I had. I haven't had any issues with mine since I did the slip tubes and that includes towing my toy hauler up the hills with the procharger.

Yeah I can see cutting that restriction out of there and just welding in a pipe connection.. I wonder why they didn't just go with a standard header connection and gasket. I think I will get the headmans. I can do the slip pipe mod to them like you did that doesn't seem to out of this world to accomplish. after you did this mod did you have any issues. I can see the ball flange is designed to flex a bit and seal when misaligned. yours appears to be solid.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90turbo1 View Post
Yeah I can see cutting that restriction out of there and just welding in a pipe connection.. I wonder why they didn't just go with a standard header connection and gasket. I think I will get the headmans. I can do the slip pipe mod to them like you did that doesn't seem to out of this world to accomplish. after you did this mod did you have any issues. I can see the ball flange is designed to flex a bit and seal when misaligned. yours appears to be solid.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with $. I didn't have any issues after, I could't go 50 miles prior. There is some room for movement in the slip joints, I don't think there is a need for a flex coupler, most of that is on transverse motors that rock back and forth. Hedman said they would beef them up, but I would eat shipping so beware if you want warranty work it'll cost you an arm and leg to ship these things.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb1 View Post
I'm sure it has a lot to do with $. I didn't have any issues after, I could't go 50 miles prior. There is some room for movement in the slip joints, I don't think there is a need for a flex coupler, most of that is on transverse motors that rock back and forth. Hedman said they would beef them up, but I would eat shipping so beware if you want warranty work it'll cost you an arm and leg to ship these things.
I got mine Warrantied, didn't cost me a dime. BUT they do say welding on the headers voids the warrenty. Mine had a primary tube crack where it goes into the collector.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 AM